Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Premiere widescreen Export !!!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Manu PhilipPremiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 1:11:27 pm

Guys i need your help in this :

- I create a sequence in Premiere Cs4 with HD settings = say 1280x720 at 25 frames.

- My project contains 16:9 footage and 4:3 footages.

- I drag and drop the footages into the timeline - and resize it's scale accordingly.

- After the final edit - i export using - export movie

- I select DV pal widescreen - and select widescreen in aspect ratio.

- And i end up getting a SQUASHED video - No widescreen :(

- What could i be doing wrong ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Premiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 4:17:33 pm

The problem you are seeing is because DV widescreen is "anamorphic" widescreen - the pixels are non-square to simulate widescreen. Note that both 4:3 and 16:9 DV have the same pixels - 720x480 for NTSC, and PAL is (I think) 720x576. 4:3 DV uses a pixel aspect of 0.9 while 16:9 uses 1.2 pixel aspect (rectangular pixels).

If you were to create a DVD from your results, it would be the correct 16:9. If you try to play the video back in Windows Media Player for instance, it may not recognize the pixel aspect, as computers usually assume sqaure pixels. For NTSC widescreen export for computer viewing, I use 864x480 (1.0 pixel aspect), sorry I don't know the numbers for PAL.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Manu PhilipRe: Premiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 8:58:58 pm

Thnx Jeff for explaining that to me -

Is there a proper workflow to achieve the result i'm seeking ?

Like what would be the proper export settings and all ?

I'm not able to enter the output resolution manually as the boxes are grayed out.

:(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ann BensRe: Premiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 11:22:14 pm

Make sure your sequence matches your footage.
If most of the footage is widesreen make the sequence widescreen of v.v.
Then export to desired format.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bo SkelmoseRe: Premiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:10:00 pm

You are probably exporting a mov file and even quicktime player cannot recognize it as 16:9.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Manu PhilipRe: Premiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:39:30 am

That's right Bo Skelmose,

Even the quicktime output gives a squashed video :(

But i tried to output it as .avi - and got the same results.

Help anyone ...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Premiere widescreen Export !!!
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:02:45 pm

Hi Manu,

Before moving ahead, I need to ask what is the final purpose or destination of the exported video? If for computer or internet viewing, you should be considering an H.264 codec rather than DV, which produces very large files by comparison.

Also, it seems that you are combining HD and SD footage in the edit - if you have no need of creating an HD final output, you may be better off editing in an SD sequence. The reason is, that when you import SD clips into an HD sequence, they are getting upscaled, then when exporting to SD, downscaled again, and this hurts quality.

Better to keep the SD clips native as SD, and bring the HD clips down to SD during editing.

As for the output sizes being ghosted, this is because you chose a DV preset - it is not meant to be changed, since DV is DV. If you choose H.264 for instance, then you can set the size to anything you want (you may have to turn off the link between X and Y dimensions to customize though). Also, do not use the "Match source" preset, this will ghost out most options.

I just did the math and for PAL widescreen export using square pixels (1.0) for computer/web viewing, it looks like the size should be set to 1024x576 to maintain the 16:9 playback.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]