Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dustin BowserCan you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:12:37 pm

Hey, so I'm a Final Cut Pro editor trying out Premiere CS5 because of all the cool new features, and the fact that it swaps between After Effects nicely. I do a lot of VFX and Compositing so this was an interesting proposition.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out all the weird little nuances that are different from the way I'm using to working. One of them is, can the razor tool "snap" to an edit point like in FCP. There are a lot of times when I'll make a cut based on an edit point of video or audio that happens to be on another track, so I want the cut I'm about to make to "snap" to this point. In premiere, when snapping is on, the razor tool doesn't exhibit the same behavior. I know that there is the "Razor Tracks" command, but this is also super annoying because it will razor any track that is selected. This just creates several more click strokes to make sure I've got the right track selected, when all I want to do is reach in a make a super quick cut.

One other annoyance that I've found is, in Premiere it seems that you can only "Go to Next Edit Point" or "Go to Previous Edit Point" when the Program Monitor is selected. That means if I'm working in the timeline and I want to instantly jump to the next cut, I have to select the program monitor or hit Shift+4 to select it, and THEN hit up or down to bounce between cuts. It's something that because super annoying when I'm used to being able to just fly around the timeline bouncing between edits with a keystroke.

Just a few of the minor annoyances that have really hampered my speed in the week that I've been trying Premiere over Final Cut. It's all little stuff, but when you're executing the same commands and hitting the same keystrokes thousands of times per day, little stuff like that starts to eat up a lot of time, and more than that, starts become really irritating really fast. Are there any other Final Cut editors out there that find that they've been able to move to Premiere and overcome these little hurdles?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex UdellRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:43:39 pm

Not at my machine right now to confirm....

did you try SHIFT?

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:26:18 am

The Page Up and Page Down keys should navigate between Edit Points in selected tracks regardless of whether the Program window or Timeline is active, then Ctrl+K will razor clips on Selected tracks.
To select a track, click the name of the track at the left end.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rex SummerfieldRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:46:32 pm

On a PC you can select the razor tool then hold the ALT key and make a cut with your mouse on any track regardless of which track is selected.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dustin BowserRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:36:03 pm

I don't know if it's a setting that I don't have checked or something, but that doesn't work for me. Page UP and Page DOWN will only move me to the beginning or end of the timeline, unless I have the Program Window selected. Then it will hop between edit points.

Also, another random thing I've noticed -- Does anyone else feel like the timeline interaction is significantly slower than Final Cut. Simply the act of dragging clips around in the timeline is like trying to walk through mud. Again, not sure if it's a setting that is wrong, and something that I don't quite have optimized. I just know that it REALLY slows down my overall edit speed by a ton.

I would love to be able to work out all these kinks because in theory, Premiere is a way better option for me. The reality is turning out to not be the case though....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrieRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:08:38 am

Can you post a screen grab of your UI so we can see what might be happening?

Cheers,

Jon Barrie ;)

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net
http://www.suiteskills.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HuttRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 8:10:28 pm

Dustin I am a former AVID editor and have just had CS4 stuffed up me bum a couple of weeks ago. I have the same questions as you about the "snap to" function. Did you ever find an answer to your post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jon sendallRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 2:27:07 am

On the mac in CS5/PP command+K will cut wherever your playhead is.

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Urban SkargrenRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:22:27 pm

Still no answer to the title question?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo UcciferriRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Feb 27, 2011 at 5:37:40 pm

How is there no answer to this question? I just switched from FCP to Premier (for better AVCHD integration) and I can't figure out how to do this seemingly simple operation. It's like the "snap" option in the sequence menu has no effect.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David MackeyRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 4:04:19 am

I'm having the same issues; and as I prefer the AE integration as do you, I'm stymied

mackeymedia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul WhishawRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:58:28 am

It seems to me the Command+K is the closest thing to a "snap" you'll get. I think it's crazy but it's something.

Curse you Apple.

While Premier has some cool functions it feels like fighting underwater sometimes. When I drop or move a clip in the timeline it seems to "stick" to my pen (I use a tablet) so I have to hover for a second to get the clip to settle or else it goes flying to some other spot and track on the timeline. It's weird.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard AngleRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 8:35:50 pm

You know. I agree! I'm getting a little tired of continuously noticing limitations around every corner with EVERY editing app out there.

I left the editing scene back around FCP4. It did everything (In SD, DV codec) that I could have ever wished for. I've recently stepped back into the editing arena with nothing but frustration. The old tools are gone today! I want my basic workflow back. It's like the tech world reset itself and put the limitations on us to correct for them. I'm tired. Where's our old tools? ex: Source footage reference files? Snap to razor? Cs6 Premiere is the closest I've found to old school, but is still severely lacking. Can nobody even match where Apple left off on FCP4?

Sorry to rant, folks. I'm just frustrated and can't understand why things like this even exist. I need my old tools back!

Richard Angle

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter BerdovskyRe: Can you "snap" razor tool like FCP
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:45:34 pm

Ditto.
While I like the command k shortcut for cutting where the playback head is, the actual razor tool is not very intuitive. It tends to snap to the playback head with or without snapping turned on, if I am very close to it (zoomed in way close), and doesn't snap well at all if I am zoomed out.
I will use command K short cut feature, as it's great for what I need to do, but this thing is a bit weird to me, as I am trying to transition from FCP7 and learn this new software package.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]