Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Feathering a garbage matte

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mikkell khanFeathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 5:44:17 pm

Hi, I have a sixteen point matte on a duplicate of a piece of video on video 2 over video 1 where the person is too dark and needs to be brightened up without the background (with is the bright blue sky and clouds) to appear washed out.

I accomplished this with the matte by placing it around the subject and changing the blend mode to linear dodge (add). However, the problem is now the edges of the sixteen point matte are too hard and thus you can blatantly see the separation between the brightened person and the untouched background.

Is there any way to feather a garbage matte or the edges of the frame to allow there to be a better blending of the duplicate image? Or is there a better way overall to do this?

Mikkell Khan
Director
Diamond Films Ltd. (Trinidad and Tobago)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JurgensonRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:41:57 pm

Short answer: After Effects.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mikkell khanRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 1:29:00 am

Lol, and the long answer?

Mikkell Khan
Director

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

mike velteRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 10:25:55 am

Masks in AE can be feathered.
Track Mattes created in Photoshop can have feathered edges and used in Premiere.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JurgensonRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 14, 2009 at 12:44:23 pm

If you were familiar with After Effects, you would probably know about the softness parameter on the masks. If you aren't familiar with After Effects, it would be too complicated for me to to explain the whole process. Thus the brief answer. Unfortunately, soft mattes aren't available in Premiere, unless someone makes a 3rd party plug-in - maybe something like Boris FX.

But I would highly recommend getting into After Effects (if you aren't already). It is a great tool for this sort of thing, as well as many other things.

I should add that although After Effects has variable H and V softness on it's masks as a whole, Autodesk Combustion has variable softness on each mask line - much nicer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mikkell khanRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:08:34 pm

Thanks Eric. I know some after effects and I'm exploring this possibility. It should most likely work, thanks for the assistance.

Mikkell Khan
Director

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris ButtacoliRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:50:05 pm

There is a way to do this. (But it certainly does not beat using After Effects on an every day basis.)

Instead of using the Garbage matte, use the titler to make the mask. Go to the frame you want to adjust, and create a new title. Use the pen tool, or the circle tool, to select your area around the people. Make sure the Fill box is checked with solid white.

Place the title on track 3. Duplicate your footage on track 2, and apply the "Track Matte Key". Set video 3 as the matte, using matte alpha. Then apply your color correction or levels to adjust the brightness.

Now add a fast blur to the title, and adjust the amount to create the feathered edge.

(See why AE is easier. Especially if you need to animate the mask over time.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

john mullinsRe: Feathering a garbage matte
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:20:01 am

Genesis! What I love about this technique is that all of the effects are GPU accelerated which on a CUDA card means realtime playback color grading!

Thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]