Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

do i need to render before exporting to tape in cs4?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
david paynedo i need to render before exporting to tape in cs4?
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:09:37 am

hi all,

As of now I have imported HD mpegs and rendered them in premiere before exporting to tape. It then takes forever to 'Transcode' but eventually prints to tape fine.

I was just wondering is this render pointless or is it serving a purpose? Could I skip the render and just export without jumpy playback?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark HollisRe: do i need to render before exporting to tape in cs4?
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 12:55:07 pm

Give it a try -- but don't unless you want to risk needing to render anyway and redo your export.

Two things can happen with unrendered material:

• Dropped frames. This is the most noticeable issue when you have unrendered material that cannot play back fast enough.
  • Audio loses sync with video. This is sometimes a little harder to notice when you are doing a playout but certainly noticeable on the back end.

Knowing your risks here, everything may work out just fine. And it may work out 90% of the time. But you have to justify the amount of time you have to take to redo anything that fails.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrieRe: do i need to render before exporting to tape in cs4?
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:54:47 pm

If you are exporting a HDV timeline to DV then it needs to transcode down to DV. The render would be in HDV so that's why it takes so long.

You can export the final timeline to DV, make a new timeline that is DV and then export that one to tape. Because it's rendered out it will not need to render to DV (coz it is already DV).

Bottom line, you will always need to render something before going to tape.

If it's rendered already you could try to have the playback set to the camera or tapedeck as the output and make sure the audio is going through it too. Make sure you have some colour bars or black about 10sec before your 1st frame of edited video, hit play on the computer, let the playback get to real time, which may be a couple of seconds (hence the colour bars) then hit record on the camera tapedeck. This won't give you accurate timecode, but you get to export to tape quicker. It's not the best solution, so do some tests. It might help.

Let us know how your tests go.

- JB

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david payneRe: do i need to render before exporting to tape in cs4?
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 8:23:42 am

Thanks guys. With what I'm exporting time isnt a crucial factor as I use a seperate pc to export to tape which is on all the time, I was just wondering if I was rendering twice for no reason. I have only just learned that i do not need to render before exporting a HD mpeg unless I want to preview it on the timeline. This has saved me a lot of time and I wondered if I could do the same with exporting.

If there were dropped frames or syncing issues it would be bad news with what I'm exporting as the exported tape will then become the master copy, therefore I think I wont take the risk, and instead just render before exporting to tape.

In terms of the HDV DV point that you raised Jon, I am using a HDV timeline and exporting to a mini DV tape, but I thought this export would still therefore be in HD? Is that correct? As this is the master copy I wanted it to remain in HD. If it is not I will try to save all of the HD mpegs but thats going to involve a lot of drives...

Thanks for your great help
David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david payneRe: do i need to render before exporting to tape in cs4?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:11:03 am

does anyone know the answer to my above post?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]