Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Help with un nesting clips please

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gordon YoungHelp with un nesting clips please
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:11:01 pm

Hi Folks,

I could really do with some advice...

I have edited a 2hour play and now need to send the project to a post production facility for sound and color work.

So I need to create an OMF and an EDL that they can use.

One problem is that I used a multicam view to edit so the whole timeline is nested making the EDL almost useless as it refers to the sequence as the clip name rather than the clip name itself...Great!

So does anyone know how to un-nest in premiere 2 or 4.1 so that I can get an EDL that refers to the clips not the sequence?

Any help greatly appreciated, the Postproduciton facility are expecting to start work in about 48 hours so I need to get a result by then.

Many thanks,
Gordon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Vince BecquiotRe: Help with un nesting clips please
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:27:47 pm

First check your history panel and see if the nest action shows up there, if it does just delete it and you're done, but I'm assuming the project was closed since that happened.

The way I do it: Double click on the nested sequence in the project panel, undock the nested timeline so that you can see both timelines, then select and drag the nested clips back over the current timeline. If you have deleted tracks after nesting, make sure you add them back in first, although they should be automatically created. Delete any left over nested tracks.

Also keep in mind that you may now have duplicate audio clips, it just depends on what was nested.

You could also try cut and paste but it usually creates a big mess in the area.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gordon YoungRe: Help with un nesting clips please
by on Jun 10, 2009 at 9:46:45 am

Hi Vince,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write.

Yeh I have saved the file since nesting,its been quite a long editing process.

Your work around is a clever one but I cant use it on this project as the nesting was arranged for the multicam view. Ill try to attach an image of what I mean.

For the multi cam view you arrange all your camera angles in one sequence drag it into another and then you can select between them easily in real time. Very handy feature but it does create this problem. Also part of the editing process has been to move clips here and there, play with time a bit and so on so it doesnt really match up in a linear way with the source sequence any more.

Im beginning to think I may be up the creek with this one...

I havnt been able to find any unnesting command in premiere on any forums etc.

Ho hum...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fedor BelenkyRe: Help with un nesting clips please
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 11:18:16 am

Me too would be totally gladful if someone knew how to exort multiclips through OMF...
In my case I especially want to use them in Pro Tools.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vince BecquiotRe: Help with un nesting clips please
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 2:39:28 pm

Found this quite by accident, since that's how it's done in FCP.

Select the nested clip, drag to project panel while holding Alt

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 10, 2009 at 3:53:22 pm

Hi! I tried to do as You described and nothing special happened. As I drag the nested sequence from timeline to the project window holding the alt-key, it just copies the nested sequence to that place in the project window...

Did I get You wrong?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2009 at 9:16:02 am

Hi Fedor,

The EDL we made was useless in the end but I did manage to get the OMFs out of the computer.

It was painful but sucessful.

1. Made sure all the audio was stereo and WAV - made the audio timeline as simple as possible.
2. Unlinked all the video from the audio and deleted the video
3. split the project into 5 - 10 minute chunks and exported to OMF seperately

Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't - took hours, was up for several nights, caught up on 'the apprentice' online though.

lesson in it for me is that if you need to make EDLs with nested sequences or OMFs for complex projects get final cut or avid and save yourself a headache.

Best wishes with your project

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2009 at 9:36:44 am

If there is a feature in a software that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (especially with one and the same settings), I instantly start to feel sick and try never to use this feature or this software again...

So You say You expirienced no problems with exporting the multitrack timeline of Avid to a software like Pro Tools?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:38:54 am

I am not familiar with avid or FCP but they are the professional standards. Premiere is fine if you are doing stuff in-house but if you need to use post houses or you need your files to talk to other programs then from my experience premiere is not up to the job.

Ill be going Final Cut Pro for my next project (multi camera shoot of a play for DVD) but will check the nesting/EDL issue carefully first though.

Good luck with your project.

Best wishes
Gordon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:05:18 pm

Well, at least Sony Vegas also has problems with exporting multitrack sound sessions (i never successed). I get a little bit scared that the other nle-programs also aren't real wonderkids...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Regg SkwarkoA workaround to exporting OMFs from Premiere using Nested sequences
by on May 27, 2012 at 1:29:20 am

Hello there
I dont know whether or not anyone has actually figured this out yet or if its been fixed in cs6. But for those of you who, like me, doesnt have CS6 and has been tearing their hair out with this problem and can't google the answer....

I found a solution.

As I mentioned, I was having an extremely frustrating time exporting an OMF from Premiere CS5.5 to ProTools 10, and because I was editing multicam sequences I used nested sequences not realising the dark dark perils that laid beneath.

BUT nevertheless, I found a way out WITHOUT "unnesting"

This is how I did it:

In the project window of Premiere, I selected the desired sequence and right clicked and I chose "Edit in Adobe Audition" and chose "sequence".

Doing this brings up a dialogue box asking me where to save the file path where Premiere can store and generate its own audio files.
Just so you know Premiere will create its own subfolder with the name of the sequence, so there was no need to create a new folder.

Under the "Selection" bar I chose "Entire sequence" because I had already had a clean timeline with no added bits and pieces.

I chose 5 seconds worth of handles.

I didn't bother checking "export Preview video" because I had already created a reference picture with 2 sec pip both front and end of sequence for the sound guy earlier on.

And finally, I checked all three
Render Audio Clip Effects
Send clip volume Keyframe Metadata
and to Open in Adobe Audition.

Once thats done Premiere will go ahead and start churning away and then Audition opens up.
From there go to the "File" tab
Go to "Export" and from there you can export either an either encapsulated or referenced OMF.

And VOILA!!
Because Audition is referencing those Premiere generated files you'll have no problems
well at least my sound engineer hasn't had any problems so far BUT if he does, I be sure to keep you updated, but in the meantime, feel free and nest all the sequences you want! :)

I hope this helps

Cheers guys
:)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Tom DaigonRe: A workaround to exporting OMFs from Premiere using Nested sequences
by on May 27, 2012 at 2:44:56 am

Ingenious solution!

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index