Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Frame rate converter

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erik ThraneFrame rate converter
by on May 26, 2009 at 7:36:58 am

Hi,

I had some 8mm films scanned for a project. The were shot in 18 fps, but I had them scanned in 25 p (PAL) in order to avoid optical blending. Thus I had the original film scanned non-distructively.

Unfortunately, if I reduce the speed to 72% (18/25) in Premiere Pro it can only accomodate the new speed by inserting blended frames or repeating frames.

So I need a frame rate converter that can generate the missing frames (by interpolation) in order to achieve the right speed withoutquality loss. I downloaded and tried out MotionPerfect and Frame Rate Converter HQ, but it seems to me that both degrade the resolution terribly.

Am I doing something wrong?

I know that Andrew Kramer has created a converter for Adobe After Effects but I do not have that program. Is it the only/best way to go?

Or, can somebody suggest a high-quality frame rate converter that I can download?

Best regards
Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrieRe: Frame rate converter
by on May 26, 2009 at 9:08:03 am

The problem with slowing down video is that the frames are probably interlaced, which will degrade the image more when slowed down.
Slowing down Video or Film is never a great result.
Did you get the cine done with the frame rate at 25fps on the film playback? if so you could get a half decent result by interpreting the video to 18fps.
- JB

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik ThraneRe: Frame rate converter
by on May 26, 2009 at 5:22:18 pm

Yes I got the transfer done at a 25 fps playback (progressively), so there should be no problem with half/interlaced frames.

I am an ameteur, so please explain what you mean by "interpret"?

Best regards
Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: Frame rate converter
by on May 26, 2009 at 6:06:12 pm

You can right-click on a clip in the Project Panel and tell PPro to interpret the clip differently.

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BrownRe: Frame rate converter
by on May 26, 2009 at 2:57:27 pm

Try "Twixtor" or reTimer by re:visionFX. Takes time to render, but can produce very nice results.

-jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2009 at 6:39:43 pm

Hi Jeff,

played around with a test installation of Twixtor, but it seems that exactly the frame rate converter does not function in PP - only in Ae.

Am I wrong?

Best regards
Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BrownRe: Frame rate converter
by on May 27, 2009 at 12:59:17 pm

I thought it worked in Premiere, but I've never tried it myself. Only use it in Combustion.
Double-check the help doc, there are some quirky application-specific working methods that may apply to Premiere.
If you're still stuck, reVision has always answered support questions promptly in the past.

-jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 7, 2009 at 11:08:01 am

Unfortunately, the frame rate converter in Twixtor is not supported for Premiere Pro. See this chart: http://www.revisionfx.com/content/products/twixtor/features/host_supported....

Is there really not a pluginn for Premiere Pro fo frame rate conversion?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]