Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

5.1 in Premiere Pro not working

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ricardo Lacombe5.1 in Premiere Pro not working
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:57:52 pm

Wonder if anyone can assist. Having some problems in premiere pro cs4 with 5.1 surround sound.

I have a bunch of mono files a studio prepared for me for a bands live DVD. We recorded sound on the night, so I 24 individual tracks, mono wavs, from each mic.

When I start a Premiere Project, with 5.1 audio tracks in the timeline, and import my wav files I cannot then drag them onto the 5.1 tracks, it simply creates a new mono audio track.
That is my first problem.

Thinking ahead that the wavs might be wrong kind of wav or something I imported one into Audition 3. Went to the Surround Encoder and listened to file, fine, exported it as 6 seperate wavs (mono). These imported into Premiere AND dragged onto the 5.1 timelines. However, they would not pan onto the rear speakers.

So I think I have two problems here.

1) Why would my original mono wavs not drag onto 5.1 tracks in timeline.

2) Why wont Premiere play through rear speakers.

Some info. I'm on Vista machine. I am working my sound through SPDIF Digital Output Device (this is all built in standards on my Dell Dimension machine).
I have successfully played DVDs in Surround sound using Cyberlink Power DVD and many other DVD playbacks, with all speakers fully functional (Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500 speakers). So I know my surround set up works....just appears to be Premiere that wont play Surround.

Sorry if this is vague, but I have note really tried Surround in Premiere before and am pulling my hair out trying to find solutions on forums!

Any help appreciated.
Ricardo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phocas KroonRe: 5.1 in Premiere Pro not working
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 11:22:52 pm

The workflow I used: Import the wav files in a multichannel session of Audition. Export as one interleaved 6-channel wave file Import the interleaved file in Premiere Pro. Create an empty surround track in the timeline and put the interleaved file on this track. Export the sound for the DVD as follows: File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder Export settings: MPEG2, export video not selected, export audio selected. Audio tab: Dolby digital, codec: surcode for dolby digital (You can use surcode 3 times for free.) The 5.1 audiotrack will be converted to an AC-3 surround file for DVD. Add this file to the MPEG2 video in Adobe Encore DVD.

Good luck Phocas Kroon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ricardo LacombeRe: 5.1 in Premiere Pro not working
by on Mar 20, 2009 at 12:49:39 pm

That is fine, but even when I import in the files to Premiere in this workflow, my rear speakers are still not being heard. And if import as one interleaved 6-channel WAV then I cannot get any controls to tweak the sound in Prmiere. First problem first, the rear speakers just have no sound!!! But they do when I run anything else, like DVD playback etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 20, 2009 at 5:41:09 pm

You have to check and tweek the sound in Adobe Audition first.
Search in Help of Audition on "5.1 output"
You can see the outputmeters of each channel durin preview. If you cannot hear f.e. the speakers in the back, something is wrong with your soundcard, soundcard settings or loudpreaker cables.

Good luck

Phocas Kroon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 21, 2009 at 7:07:15 am

Thanks for the response.
I have tried everything with Adobe Audition too and cannot get it to work. It does however work fine in Cubase, and Cakewalk apps, and on any DVD playback. Just not Adobe Audition or Premiere?!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 21, 2009 at 4:48:41 pm

Do a simple test in Audition.
Put a 1000Hz tone after each other in 6 different tracks.
Open the multichannel decoder window (View>Multichannel decoder)
Assign each track to a different loudspeaker.
Click on 'play all'
Now you have to see in the volumemeters of this window that the tones will be dispayed after each other in the different tracks.

If you do'nt hear the tones in the different loudspeakers something is wrong with the soundcard system or settings.
My soundcard is a Realtek 6 channel card.
This is displayed under Preview device in the multichannel decoder window and is selectable.

Please let me know how far this test is working for you.

Phocas Kroon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2009 at 12:02:56 pm

Could it be that it is because my soundcard only outputs 5.1 via SPDIF output? I have a feeling that for Premiere and Audition I need a card with 6 actual seperate analogue outputs?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2009 at 2:16:21 pm

I do'nt know but indeed my card has 6 seperate outputs (loudspeker level). Is your card listed by Adobe?

Phocas Kroon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: 5.1 in Premiere Pro not working
by on Mar 29, 2009 at 5:26:16 pm

[Ricardo Lacombe] "Could it be that it is because my soundcard only outputs 5.1 via SPDIF output?"

That might be a problem, but user Redgum seems to think it can be done.

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: 5.1 in Premiere Pro not working
by on Mar 29, 2009 at 5:20:31 pm

[Ricardo Lacombe] "1) Why would my original mono wavs not drag onto 5.1 tracks in timeline."

See: FAQ:Why won't my audio clip go to the track I want it to?

[Ricardo Lacombe] "2) Why wont Premiere play through rear speakers."

Chances are good you have not configured PPro to tell it which tracks go to which speakers.

You need to use the Audio channel icons to Map sequence audio channels to audio device hardware channels.

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]