Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tom MinkelCan't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Nov 23, 2008 at 4:50:23 pm

I shoot my video with a Sony XDCAM EX-1 video camera which records directly to a SxS memory card. I then use the Sony XDCAM EX Clip Browser software to export the files to my computer, transcoding the files from the MP4 format the camera shoots in to MXF files. I then edit the files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3.

I am now evaluating Premiere Pro CS4 using the 30-day trial. However, when I try to import any of my MXF files I get the error message: "Unsupported format or damaged file".

Since I have been editing these files with PP CS3 it seems there must be a way to import them into PP CS4. Is there a way?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JurgensonRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Nov 24, 2008 at 2:25:35 pm

I think XDCAM import (along with some other format types) has been disabled on the trial version due to licensing issues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom MinkelRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Nov 24, 2008 at 5:00:02 pm

Thanks, Eric. You are right. Adobe should post a notice with the Trial download as not to waste people's time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David DobsonRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Nov 24, 2008 at 11:50:02 pm

Also - you won't need to transcode from .mp4 to .mxf - PPro CS4 handles the XDCAM- files AS .mp4s. Much to my shock - since the .mp4 extension automatically opens Quicktime on my machine and quicktime won't play the XDCAM mp4 files. I thought I was so screwed - but then did the import from PPro and all was well with the world again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave ThomasRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Dec 3, 2008 at 2:33:00 pm

I also think I am screwed and am not getting much help from either support centers, so any help would be much appreciated. First, understand I am at the disadvantage of working for a school district, so when you buy a 'best bang for the buck' camera and piece meal editing set-up...I know this can happen. However, we use PP CS# on 3 computers and eventually will upgrade to 4, but for now, we're still using CS3. I bought a Panasonic AG-HMC70P, which is a nice camera, but I can't seem to use any of the video it records onto the 8GB card. I can upload it using the Panasonic software, but it comes in on a strange format which Adobe doesn't like. Panasonic told me to download their AVCHD transcoder software which I did and it transformed everything into .MXF files.

So, what should I be doing differently? I have my kids shooting very quality with this camera, but my classes use CS3, so unless I specifically ask them to start using the Panasonic editing software, I'm afraid I'm doomed...so, again, please help!

Thanks.. Dave
215-420-5547

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JurgensonRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Dec 3, 2008 at 2:41:45 pm

Really the best thing would be to upgrade to CS4 or get Premiere Elements, which handle AVCHD natively. You should be eligable for an educational discount of some sort.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 3, 2008 at 3:13:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. So, I thought in one of the strings, it stated that he used CS3 for this same purpose and it worked, but, you're saying it doesn't. Also, right now, we're in between budgets so we can't buy any new software and I also can't edit the stuff my kids have already shot....so, is there any other way to export or transform these video clips into Adobe-friendly formats??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff AdamsRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 7:26:28 pm

This may be due to your using a trial version. The trial version doesn't have all the feature, according to one of the Adobe people I've spoken to. However, some of the Adobe people say it has all the features, so if you call you may get a different response. But, I've received strong evidence that the trial doesn't allow you to do everything...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:06:46 pm

[Jeff Adams] "I've received strong evidence that the trial doesn't allow you to do everything..."

FAQ:What are the limitations of the trial version?

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jay RudinRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Apr 16, 2009 at 7:06:02 am

The reason different sources say different things about what the demo version can and cannot do is explained better in the fine print:
These trial versions are fully functional, so every feature and aspect of the product is available for you to test-drive.*
(BUT)
*The trial version of Adobe Premiere® Pro CS4, does not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products.

That may be why you can't import XDCAM (mxf) clips into the trial version.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2009 at 3:15:46 pm

Hey everyone...thanks so much for the response, but I am trying to use CS3, not a demo of 4...however, do we know if it will work anyway with a regular full version which I have not installed on all computers in our school yet...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ted RouseRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:56:42 am

I know your post is a few years old, but I am now crossing the same bridge. I just bought the Sony PMW-EX3 and cannot import MXF files into PP3. (I have PP4 but like 3 better) Your post said you were doing just that. Could you please explain how? Is it possible to contact your personally to discuss? Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom MinkelRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:06:38 pm

It's been a long time but I think the problem was that I was using the trial version. However, in PP CS4 and CS5 I have been able to import the mxf files just fine but you cannot export your finished work to mxf because it is a propriatary format that belongs to SONY.

I do most of my editing now using SONY Vegas Pro in which you can import, edit, and export in the mxf format with no problems at all. I recommend it highly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ted RouseRe: Can't import XDCAM mxf files into PP CS4
by on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:40:15 pm

Thank you so much for the info. Very prompt too. I'll re-examine my PP4 and look into Vegas as you suggested. I used to be a DPS Velocity user, but since they discontinued, I can't be "married" to any one NLE now. All the best.
Ted

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]