Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sergio Barrozocutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 3:41:08 am

I'm using Premiere CS3 and I have a timeline with 3 video tracks and two audio tracks.
I want to extract a portion in the middle of my timeline, but I can't figure out how to do that. When I worked in AVID I simply selected all tracks, and then I marked an IN and OUT point and then I cut that portion and all the tracks after that portion were pulled in sync to my IN point.
But in Premiere I do not know how to select all tracks; when I try to shift select all of them I do not succeed.
How can I do that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lloyd ColemanRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 6:20:12 am

If you move the current time indictor to the position on the timeline you want to cut and then press control+k it will cut all tracks at the same time.

I hope this is what you were trying to do.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sergio BarrozoRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 2:35:11 pm

Actually I want to cut a portion of about 5 seconds in my timeline. I understand that I have to set IN and OUT points and then cut all tracks at once in order to maintain the sync between all tracks ahead the cut point.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lloyd ColemanRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 4:14:43 pm

I was suggesting to do it this way: Move the current time indicator (red line) on the timeline to the point that you want to start the cut, don't use the program window to set in and out points, just make sure the timeline window is the active window and press the 'control' and 'K' buttons at the same time and all track in the timeline will be cut. Go to the end of the cut point and do the same again. Now you will have a piece of your timeline that is cut across all tracks at the same place. You can then select each of the tracks that are cut and delete them or move them somewhere else.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sergio BarrozoRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 9:47:51 pm

Thank you for the tip. It works OK when all tracks are continuous. But in my case the audio track one is made of several speech segments with blank spaces between them. And when I want to cut in a point that has a blank space, the Control-K command doesn't works. I cannot razor cut a blank space in my timeline. It's really strange, because I was used to work with an old AVID system and when I wanted to extract a portion of the timeline cutting all tracks, I marked an IN and an OUT point, selected all tracks, and voila, I could extract that portion or lift that portion leaving the space.
Can't I do it with Premiere?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex UdellRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:20:44 am

Once you have cut the tracks at the bedinning and end...

you have to use the mouse to marquee (draw a selection box) around the section you want to lift or extract.

The in and out points alone will not do it....

If there are interspersed tracks you wish to leave unaffected...

remember to lock them priort to cutting them or lifting/extracting them...

Also you can use Shift + Delete to ripple delete the selected elements. (locked tracks will remain unaffected)

Hope this helps...

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Troy MurisonRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 7, 2008 at 7:50:18 pm

It's a little counter-intuitive, but DE-select (or de-target) all your tracks and mark your in-out points and then either lift or extract, just like in Avid (except for the keyboard shortcuts!). As someone else mentioned, if there are tracks you don't want to affect, just lock those tracks. This works for 'blank' areas of tracks too, eliminating the need for edits in 'fill' as in Avid.

-Troy Murison
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2008 at 9:31:05 pm

This brings up an intgeresting point....

Shouldn't Lifting or extracting copy the lifted contents to the clipbaord?

The last time I tried it, I don't think it did....but I mat have dobne something wrong....

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Troy MurisonRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Aug 8, 2008 at 9:38:42 pm

No other software I know of works that way for lift/extract. They all have their own way (usually a lasso of clips or a select i/o plus a specific 'copy' function/button), but that's a interesting thought. Might be nice to have that as a preference you could toggle on or off, huh?

-Troy Murison
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2008 at 11:11:24 pm

You may be right....

I may be thinking of the old D-Vision/edit* days.

Since they didn't offer Lasso...

it was always tabbed tracks, plus I/O, plus Insert/Overwrite mode (extract vs lift), then Ctrl X for cut....

you could then paste the the removed section elsewhere on the timeline.... or on another timeline....

hmmmm

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darcy GibbsRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Oct 20, 2008 at 2:12:44 am

It seems to be an issue with the 'selected tracks'
Photobucket

It seems you can only select one video and one audio track at a time, whichever they are the 'lift/extract' commands work fine, but the unselected tracks do nothing. Does anyone know how to select multiple tracks??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrieRe: cutting a piece of timeline with several tracks
by on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:35:06 am

CS3 you'll want to razor cut by the position of the CTI. Ctl+K (Apple+K on Mac). If you lock layers you don't want cut you only cut everything else. This function you want (select/highlight multiple tracks) is in CS4.

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]