Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Perry ChengCamtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 1:04:04 am

How to do capture best used in CS3? I captured using MS Video1, Quality 100, Temporal Quality Ratio =1, Capture every 33 milliseconds, Playback Rate = 30 frames/second, setkey frames every 30frames. The captured video came out with lots of strobbing when imported into Premiere. So, how do you do the Camtasia settings out there for video editing?

Thanks in advance,
Perry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 11:17:34 am

Camtasia is designed to create video for playback on a PC monitor or projector. It is also very capable of editing imported or captured video as well as exporting as well or better than Premiere.
Output for DVD using video from Camtasia is fraught with issues involving clear images and text due to 2 recompressions and resolution downsizing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Perry ChengRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 1:23:20 pm

Mike, may be I did not make my question clear enough. What I want was capture something off pc screen, edit in Premiere and then export to WMV format for pc viewing. What's the best settings using what codec?

Perry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2008 at 11:05:06 am

Hi Perry,
Editing Camtasia in Premiere involves creating a custom Desktop editing mode Project Settings that match the dimensions and framerate of your Camtasia project. Also involves exporting from Camtasia an intermediate video file that will get recompressed again...2 generation losses.
It is so much easier and the results will look better if you edit and export your final .wmv from Camtasia.
If you insist on editing in Premiere, export from Camtasia as uncompressed.avi, edit in Premiere and export using Windows Media Video Screen 9 codec with the same size and frame rate as the original.

http://www.video2stream.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2008 at 11:56:35 am

Mike,
Pardon my slow understanding here. If I capture a scene of video from Camtasia, that scene is part of an editing project, how do I get the "final wmv" without bringing that scene into Premiere? Say I taped a couple having a conversation (Scene1), then I use Camtasia to record a scene of crowds walking across the street (Scene2), then ending with the couple sitting at the beach (scene3), how should the work flow be without bringing scene 2 into NLE? Are you suggesting that I export scene1 and scene 3 and then bring them into Camtasia for editing and export those scene out? Export out as what format? Then do I bring that in again into Encore again if I want to export to DVD instead of for the web? Thanks Mike, as usual.

Perry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Apr 28, 2008 at 2:15:36 pm

[mike velte] "Editing Camtasia in Premiere involves creating a custom Desktop editing mode Project Settings that match the dimensions and framerate of your Camtasia project. Also involves exporting from Camtasia an intermediate video file that will get recompressed again...2 generation losses."

In my personal experience, it isn't necessary to do any conversion to another codec...I edit Camtasia files frequently.

As Mike says, make a custom project setting at the screen grab resolution.

However, don't convert the file, just set the project compression to "none", which won't recompress the file when you're editing.

When you import the Camtasia capture clips, you'll have to go to "interpret footage" by right-clicking on the clip(s), and set the alpha option to "ignore alpha channel".

Cut away and export from the Media Encoder to WMV (or as I prefer...Flash).

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2008 at 6:27:39 pm

You can also edit your entire project in Camtasia unless you are needing effects like color correction. While camtasia is not a full fledged NLE, you can surely slice and dice video, do titles and other overlays in it.

http://www.video2stream.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2008 at 10:27:57 pm

Gentleman, My appology. I got the software a little backward! Boy, I have a program call "CamStudio" not "Camtasia"! I thought they are the same, no wonder I did not know what you are talking about and you don't know what I am speaking of. The name is so close, I thought I was talking about Camtasia Studio. Well, never mind about my asking now. I will have to search the web.

Thanks for your effort.
Perry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2008 at 12:57:55 am

BTW, I finally figure out how to use this "CamStudio" capture and bring files into Premiere. Like Tim suggested, I have to use the Lagarith Lossless codec with RBG mode capture every 33 milliseconds, with playback of 30fps. The outcome is great! Thanks guys.

Sincerely,
Perry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul MurpheyRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Jul 31, 2008 at 1:42:04 pm

Hi all,

I know this thread is a couple of months old but rather than writing up a new post, I'd like to continue with this one as i have recently come across the same issues.

I am working on a project for a client for online web delivery via flv. The jist of the project - I have filmed a presenter giving a seminar on a sony HVRA1E in hdv mode in parallel to using camtasia studio to capture his on screen notes (word & pdf notes imported into windows journal) - Imported both into premiere pro cs3, edited and synchronised both video & audio with screen capture cutting back and forth from presenter to screen capture - output settings - (512 x 288, 1,000kbps on2vp6 codec)using adobe media encoder from the timeline.

The problem - the cuts showing the presenter appears to be of pristine quality however the camtasia screen recording notes are unreadable. they appear severely pixelated and this is a major concern as around 70% of the video edit focuses on the camtasia studio screen recordings. I have experimented with bigger frame sizes and higher encoding bitrates but it still makes no difference. The Avi file exported from within camtasia is uncompressed and comes to 44gigs (1 hour)and plays back (windows media player) with the finest detail as one would expect. Also from within cs3 itself during editing the text appears relatively clear and readabale. the only possible cause i can think of is that the uncompressed camtasia avi file export is at a custom frame size of 1440 x 1080 and frame rate of 10fps matching cs3 project settings of 1440 x 1080 @ 25fps except for the (10fps)

I NEED HELP PLEASE AND FAST! I am very desperate.

Thanks
Paul

Freelance Event Videographer & NLE Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul MurpheyRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Jul 31, 2008 at 1:58:36 pm

Hi all,

I know this thread is a couple of months old but rather than writing up a new post, I'd like to continue with this one as i have recently come across the same issues.

I am working on a project for a client for online web delivery via flv. The jist of the project - I have filmed a presenter giving a seminar on a sony HVRA1E in hdv mode in parallel to using camtasia studio to capture his on screen notes (word & pdf notes imported into windows journal) - Imported both into premiere pro cs3, edited and synchronised both video & audio with screen capture cutting back and forth from presenter to screen capture - output settings - (512 x 288, 1,000kbps on2vp6 codec)using adobe media encoder from the timeline.

The problem - the cuts showing the presenter appears to be of pristine quality however the camtasia screen recording notes are unreadable. they appear severely pixelated and this is a major concern as around 70% of the video edit focuses on the camtasia studio screen recordings. I have experimented with bigger frame sizes and higher encoding bitrates but it still makes no difference. The Avi file exported from within camtasia is uncompressed and comes to 44gigs (1 hour)and plays back (windows media player) with the finest detail as one would expect. Also from within cs3 itself during editing the text appears relatively clear and readabale. the only possible cause i can think of is that the uncompressed camtasia avi file export is at a custom frame size of 1440 x 1080 and frame rate of 10fps matching cs3 project settings of 1440 x 1080 @ 25fps except for the (10fps)

I NEED HELP PLEASE AND FAST! I am very desperate.

Thanks
Paul

Freelance Event Videographer & NLE Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah BeneyRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Apr 30, 2009 at 11:13:15 pm

Hi Perry,

Thank you for the adive about using CamStudio to import into Premiere.
I was still having quality issues and I was wondering which settings you are using in CS3.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike BrightmanRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 12:46:54 am

Spent a day figuring this out... but I guess it is worth it to make freeware work for you...

When capturing from CamStudio:
Lagarith Lossless Codec (google it and install)
quality 100
playback rate at 30fps

When importing into Premiere:
import footage
right click > interpret footage > ignore alpha channel (I think this is helping...)

When exporting from Premiere:
I had the best compression/quality results using Quicktime HD presets in the Adobe Media Encoder rather than .wma, etc.
I had the best quality export by choosing file > export > movie. under video settings go back to the Lagarith Lossless Codec. this export was flawless for me and just what i needed...

Hope this saves some else's time!

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Oct 7, 2009 at 11:44:11 am

Mike, thanks a lot, I will try your settings. However, recently, I captured a web video, the audio and video is slightly out of sync. Any idea?

Perry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike BrightmanRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:25:25 am

Hey Perry...

I had the same issue once I got into the details... I just unlinked the video and audio and slid over until it made sense. Was not a major issue with screen capture bc there were no mouths to line up with audio.

I am still finishing this project, so I will post any new revelations in the next day or two..

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve KlosRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:46:17 pm

Folks,

I read through this thread to get some details and very much appreciate the assistance folks are providing!

I spent some time yesterday setting up a process that works for me. Figured I would post the details of what I did in the case it may help others.

I'm also one for trying to get communities together :-). I've posted the details on the TechSmith forum so other Camtasia folks who are not so Google capable might be able to use the info. You can find the thread (with my post under stevek) here -http://forums.techsmith.com/showthread.php?p=43409#post43409.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ed burnsRe: Camtasia capture into Premiere CS3.
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:17:59 am

I too don't like to edit inside of Camtasia. Here is how I do it.

1) Capture video using Camtasia Recorder and capture as an avi with automatic settings and change the audio settings to PCM, 48kHz, 16 Bit Mono (for voice over) or Stereo if my desktop is playing stereo music.

2) Record and save

3) Next you are going to need a program called MPEG Streamclip (http://squared5.com) plus Quicktime Player Pro.

4) Open up the avi created by Camtasia Recorder in MPEG Streamclip

5) File ==> Export to Quicktime ==> Compression: TechSmith EnSharpen ==> Options...Compression 1 (fastest) ==> Quality 100% ==> Sound: No Sound ==> Frame Size: unscaled ==> Interlaced Scaling off ==> Make Movie (encoding will be quick)

6) Export audio seperately: File ==> Export Audio... ==> Format: AIFF ==> Channels: Mono or stereo (depending on how you recorded it) ==> Sample Rate: 48 kHz ==> OK

7) Open up Premiere Pro CS3 ==> New Project ==> Custom Settings tab ==> Editing Mode: Desktop ==> Timebase: same as your source or you can also bump it up to something else, since the desktop video is now an .MOV it should work. I am using 24p video so I selected 23.976 frames/second ==> Frame size: I edit at 960 x 540 ==> Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0) ==> Fields: No Fields (progressive scan) ==> Video Rendering I change to TechSmith Screen Capture Codec ==> Name and save your new project

8) Import both files .MOV and .AIFF and drop on a timeline and happy editing.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]