Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Error compiling movie

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
cow
John ReynoldsError compiling movie
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:26:28 am

I just recently been experiencing very wierd error in Adobe Premier Pro CS3.

This is what error message I'm getting.

Premiere Pro debug

Premiere Pro has encountered an error.
(....SrcPPixHandleUtilities.cpp-114)

Error compiling movie. Unknown error.

Can anyone tell me what this means? I trying to render a video in the timeline using uncompressed AVI. I've done this a million times before but never got this message until yesterday. I now can't even render the simpliest of videos. Even exporting to other formats won't work. Only Microsoft DV AVI works but I don't like the quality. Something serious is going on here. My job is at steak. I haven't changed anything on my computer. I remember doing some updates not too long ago but don't remember if it was on Premier Pro CS3. I have all the latest updates/bug fixes.

Please help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Randy McWilsonRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 5:48:49 am

Here a couple of suggestions:

(1) make a totally new project and IMPORT the other project into the new one.

(2) Create a new timeline in your existing project. Go to the old timeline, copy EVERYTHING and then paste it into the new timeline.

(3) make sure your scratch disks are not full. this will cause it everytime.

(4) I routinely get this error if I have a still graphic photo or image that is over 3000 pixels wide or so. I always shrink them down a bit in photoshop or do the effect in After Effects.

Eternity...don't miss it for the world.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John ReynoldsRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 2:40:56 pm

Dam Randy...You saved my life...Thank You so much!

It was two logos at 300 dpi about 1500 pixels. Originally I thought it was them because I recieved an error during preview render, so I converted to psd instead of PNG. So the preview rendered ok but then the final output wouldn't work. I've done hi rez files before in FCP so I didn't think it would be a problem. But once the timeline got corrupt I think I also needed to restart and do a new project so all the things you said needed to be checked and/or done. The only thing I had covered was the scratch disks.

I'm still a little miffed the Premiere Pro cant actually tell me what the error was or where it was coming from. Priemier Pro SHOULDN'T EVEN LET A FILE IT CAN'T HANDLE INTO THE PROJECT OR TIMELINE. In this day and age you would think a stupid thing like this would be solved or fixed. Com on guys at ADOBE...you should be ASHAMED...so many people have this problem..

DAM FIX IT.....I'm going back to FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jared IshamRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 26, 2008 at 9:11:12 am

I've been having the same problem.

Here are my specs:

SD project with a DV AVI video file. I have about 20 audio tracks.

At first it would crash on me during playback, as well as the playback being jittery - some times froze on frames but audio would continue - in the Standard Def format.

I imported the project into a new one, same problem. I attempted to copy the timeline to a new one, crashes due to limited memory available.

Now I can't even export the audio without it crashing or giving me the unknown error. I even tried reinstalling. I have all the updates for CS3 but still does not help.

Comp:
AMD Athelon 64 3.2 Ghz
2gig RAM
Avialable Disk space 156GB on a SATA Drive.

Very confused, I am attempting to get this project done and wont be able to if this continues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrieRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 26, 2008 at 12:29:42 pm

What format are the audio files in? mp3, wav, aif?
Some mp3 or mp4 based audio formats can be rogue and PPro won't like them very much. You must make sure your audio is all wav or aif format. You can reformat them separately in another project and then replace them in the timeline of your edit, by unlinking and relinking them to the wavs.
Hope this helps. Otherwise, goto Project>remove unused. It should clean up your project. ALso delete rendered from Sequence>...
Then export it.
- Jon :)

How many editors does it take to change a light bulb?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jared IshamRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 26, 2008 at 7:27:53 pm

all audio files are aif and wav files. I am attempting to export the audio as a wav file but am not having any luck.

Nothing on the timeline is rendered.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2008 at 11:45:07 pm

If you are having issues converting the aif files into wav I'd say that's the problem there. The aif file/s are conflicting somehow. Aif is acceptable and I use it all the time so it's not that PPro is not able to use it. It seems the aif file is not completely clean. There is a hiccup in it that's come from the original export of it. If you have audio software like audition or soundbooth, even QT pro you can open the aif files in there and re-export them to wav. then replace them in PPro. Without seeing the timeline I can't tell you what else might be causing the issue.
Have all the files you are using in 1 folder (pref on a separate hard drive) and reconnect all your media to that one folder.
- Jon :)

How many editors does it take to change a light bulb?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

George Cahill IIIRe: Error compiling movie
by on Mar 7, 2009 at 12:47:37 am

Dear Randy,
you are truly a God send...Thank you for not hiding your light under a bushel basket and sharing with the rest of us. I could not for the life of me figure out why some of my project's time-lines wouldn't export without crashing and then I found your post...bigger is NOT better with jpgs...I resized all 20 from 3400 wide down to 1500 wide and it's exporting without breaking a sweat.

Thanks and if you're ever in Florida around the Tampa area drop me a line and we'll have a drink.

Thanks again & God bless you.

Anime'-tedly yours,
George Cahill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Reuben BettsRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 10:15:01 pm

I get the same error messege when I am exporting video. When I drop the frame size to 960 540 the sequence will render. My edited sequence is about 8 min long and was captured in HD. I have tried what you said but am unable to get a high quality render. Hopefully I can figure this out so I can render at 1920x1080.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe O'Morang'aRe: Error compiling movie
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:16:05 pm

when u have nothing else left but you have to deliver your project, try the two camera technique one with analogue or s-video in, then connect the i link to camera 1 (can be a simple dv camcorder) to the pc Then connect camera 1 to cam 2 (one with video input) via the analogue cables provided. the just play from premiere and it goes thru the chains of cams and record it on dv tape, though quality will suffer a bit but well... I said earlier that thats when u have no option left.
Man it saved my ass once.
if the analogue and rca or s video cables are incompatible, add a tv set with video in and out to the chain and in between the cameras(you know what i mean)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Giancarlo JohanssonRe: Error compiling movie
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 1:52:29 pm

Hello there,

I followed the steps suggested by Randy... but when I try to import the project to a new project I still get the "error" message... Premiere Pro Debug Event - "Premiere Pro has encountered an error.

[/Spike/pro/3.1.1/MediaCore/ASL/Foundation/Make/Mac/../../Src/Mac/MacFile.cpp-943]"

All other projects open just fine. This happened all of a sudden after I added a rolling title at the end of the 1,5 hour movie. I have searched and searched the internet for any kind of clues and or solutions, but with no luck what so ever... I even tried to open the "auto-save" copies, it opened once - crashed - and then I was back at square one again.

It's driving me crazy because like John, my job and reputation is on the line. Any help or suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Giancarlo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 21, 2008 at 2:18:28 pm

I finally figured out what this error is.

Premiere Pro has encountered an error.
(....SrcPPixHandleUtilities.cpp-114)

It's a compiling and render error in Premier Pro on preview rendering bad/corrupt/odd codec Quicktime movies. Premier Pro seems to be able to only render and use a small portion of certain Quicktime movies that are imported into the timeline using certain conversion codecs. I have a big music video I was working on and was using bought stock footage from I-Stock and Artbeats. I took all the quicktime video clips and converted them to Uncompressed avi's and the problem went away. No more Quicktime movies in Premier Pro for me until this is fixed. I'm only using Quicktime in Final Cut. I will say that when I do make my own animations in After Effects using the Quciktime format I don't seem to be having any problems using those in the timeline. But I always save them to Uncompressed and no codec used.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john wisniewskiRe: Error compiling movie
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:32:20 pm

I've encountered this problem over a hundred times because i had to use that quicktime codec for my transparency videos and i tried everything on the net i could find but only one thing has worked for me.

This is going to sound a little unprofessional but try closing your program monitor. It works for me every time. It used to take 10 to 30 tries before it would click and start rendering but i tried that and it starts up right away.

My projects mainly consisted of hdv (60i) and a single sound track with effects by the way

hope that helps...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 8, 2008 at 3:07:07 am

Thanks for the advice....but I have a detailed question about your answer. What do you mean exactly by "closing your program monitor"? Can you elaborate?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john wisniewskiRe: Error compiling movie
by on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:49:58 pm

sure, i meant closing the monitor within premiere. Where you view the video your working on. It might say something like "Program: Sequence 01".

So for my project I get everything in place and ready to render then I close my project monitor. so the only tabs i have open are the project, effects controls, and my timeline. then i export.

Before i found this out i mapped the export video command to "ctrl enter" so i could repeatedly hit export very fast untill it finally kicked on. Pain in my ass.

I really hope this helps, it did in my case.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rod SavageRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jun 11, 2009 at 8:40:06 pm

John, I'll be the first to admit you sounded like a crackpot. But then I tried closing my program window and it worked. You are now a legend ... although still sound slightly like a crackpot.

Cheers mate, really appreciate the great advice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CohenRe: Error compiling movie
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:49:20 pm

Now before you tease me , I use Premiere Elements 11 and am having error compiling movie prompt.
I'd love to try shutting off the program monitor. How is this done?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff GulickRe: Error compiling movie
by on May 7, 2008 at 4:04:33 am

I have just started using a canon fs100 and transferring the files from .mod to .dv in Streamclip with an old version of quicktime. Now my boss sat down and polished a project for 6 hours... he saved, and I saved under a different name and location. both files will not open in premier pro cs3 with message VideoSegment.cpp-55.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rolando MurilloRe: Error compiling movie
by on May 28, 2008 at 9:04:15 pm

I'm having the same problem....upon exporting, an error menu pops up and then closes everything! this is very frustrating!! can someone please help me out!!!! I tried everything already posted on this thread!!!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob de JongRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 8:16:03 am

Hello,
I wonder, have you guys been able to solve the problems with this error. I am having the unknown error compiling movie when I render the effects in the timeline. In the beginning I could use rics as to make a smaller workspace to render, but now I am stuck. The error occurs continuesly.

Did you find out what was going on. Could you help. I have tried all possibl esuggestions in this thread and on other forums. Is it surely a software (cs3) issue. Could it be hardware related. Would I be out of problems if I upgraded to cs4?

Thanks,
Rob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:45:16 pm

See: Error:Error compiling movie

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:55:15 pm

Thanks Eddie,
I have tried lots of possibilities mentioned in the link you supplied and in other posts and forums. Nothing so far seems to help.

I am working with app 150 mt2 files (IN THE SEQUENCE REDUCED TO APP 1/2 HOUR) which is more or less the same as avi. For the rest I use many titles and speed up clips. Also I import some Standard Definition clips in my HDV project in a different layer (different video track I mean). I do ask much from the software BUT I have the same problem in small projects with only a few minuites of clips. And the errors sometimes occur even when I only try to render a simple still title.

What would you suggest? I was thinking of upgrading to cs4 if only i was sure that that would solve the problem. Or might there be a hardware problem? I am running a quad core machine.

Thanks,
Rob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 11:07:51 pm

Hmm, very strange.

Some more troubleshooting tips.

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2009 at 12:11:53 pm

I have been doing some more detailed observations regarding rendering the timeline. It turns out that I only get errors at titles. When I remove all titles, there is no problem at all.

As I mentioned in previous mails, when I open the title generator I get a message that Premiere is running low on system memory. It seems that something is going on with the titles. Would that information maybe help in solving the problem??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

julia schmidRe: Error compiling movie
by on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:53:20 am

I have the same problem and can not solve. Checked all your suggestions, but the video preview error comes back. Did somebody find out something new? Rob, how did you solve it? I assume that titles or transitions are maybe the problem. I rendered each video-timeline by there own, that works without getting the error, but when i tried to export everything the error came again. sucks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 4:37:44 pm

Try changing the name of the project. This helps for a while.
If not, try to find where exactly the error is caused. Remove the file (usually a title) and render first without that file. Put it back and render again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 5:08:17 pm

"Try changing the name of the project. This helps for a while." What kind of solution or answer is that? Sorry but this problem with rendering in Premiere Pro should NOT be happening. Especially when using the Text creation tool in premiere Pro. If you try and use a font that may be corrupt maybe yes. But we all seem to be having this problem and I'm included in this on occasion. Now I'm finding out that my favorite plugin from Video CoPilot..."Twitch" does NOT pre Render in the Timeline so I can see if the effect is ok for me. I make the effects from Aftereffects and import the video in the timeline and save the effect. Half the effect wont prerender. I went through all the scenarios from all the contributing answers here in the forum. Thank you guys. A lot of you are right about using still images with too high a resolution...etc. Really frustrating to still be getting these errors. I wish there was some way that when the error occurs that Premier Pro would tell me what is causiing the problem instead of giving me the general error message. Too much extra work and backtracking. Frustrating.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LupicaRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jun 26, 2009 at 9:11:39 am

Thanks for the input on image resolution. And the program monitor tip. I've had to do this when my video card was acting up. Querky indeed.

Actually, John, I'd hate to tarnish your beloved FCP, but I run into the same EXACT problem with MOST .psd files in Final Cut. The program crashes, the sequence is corrupt. So I dig through the auto-save vault to find a recent version of my sequence, copy it all, paste it into a new sequence, and (as directed by the FCP staff) convert all .psd files to .png. Final Cut is great for story-tell editing. I use it as an in house editor part-time. But when working with photoshop files, handed down from a graphic designer, it's a pain to make every layer a png. That is, if the animations don't require After Effects.

Plus I have a really tough time with finding FCP support.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CrookRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 7:37:47 pm

Hey Guys,

I had the exact same problem everyone else is having, and did all the tweaks and troubleshooting outlined here and everywhere else. I was a week past the deadline on a color grading job and just didn't know what to do. I watched the render progress, taking careful note as to which frame it was on when it crashed and was able to find the exact clip causing the problems. I had a Magic Bullet Look Suite effect applied causing the render to fail at that exact clip with "error compiling movie." I've used this damn effect 50 times before and never had a problem. I just didn't get it. If I ereased the effect and re-did it, it would work. Hmmm.

Then it dawned on me. When I was through with color grading the entire movie (but before I attempted the encoding), I downloaded a trial of Magic Bullet Looks, which is different and much better than Look Suite. I dropped the Premiere plugins into the plugins folder and then did some moving around of the plugin files.

My theory was...just like when you move a video file around after importing and dropping into your timeline....Premiere asks where you moved it too. But with plugins, Premiere doesn't know where you moved it to and is unable to render the effect...but it doesn't ask you where it is.

I realized that I needed to place the MB Look Suite plugin in it's previous place, therefore making Premire "find" it, but I didn't know where it used to be before I moved it. So, I copied the plugin and proceeded to paste a copy of it in every single sub-folder withing the plugin folder.

When I went to encode the movie....not only did it render seamlessly without any errors of any kind...it was about 50% faster at rendering.

So a word of advice....if you want to move your plugin files, make sure there are no unfinished projects on your computer, or export the project to a clean file before you start messing around.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

vic dennettRe: Error compiling movie
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 7:22:49 am

I've just started on CS3 and read all this thread looking for answers.

When i try to export the movie (I want to play it in windows media player, I go to export, choose to export and am simply told export error with no ideas or explanation. Please can anyone help?

I'm learning to use it to teach it at my secondary school!

Many thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2009 at 2:41:44 am

Have you installed Quicktime 7.0.0 or higher?

You need this to have proper QT export function.

Have you updated to 3.2?

Could be a bad install = reinstall.

- JB

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:33:25 pm

Thanks for your reply...Yes I have Quicktime 7.6.2 installed. That''s one of the first things I looked into since it was a major cause of previous problems. Still in this day and age...crashes like this should not be happening. Adobe gets a ton of money for their products and they crash more often than some free programs I use. At least give me an error with an explanation so I can fix it....and not guess to what is wrong. The fact that problems like this has been happening for years and been mentioned in this forum and still not fixed or addressed with a concrete explanation make me wonder.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ashley yuRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:52:26 am

Actually, I've had the same pop up multiple times. I also remember the "Premiere pro is running low on memory" warning as well. I'm a student that is using the program for a school project that is actually due quite soon. I'm awfully confused and stressed at this point because i've tried all that I can, and I do not even have much in the timeline. I have a few tracks of audio, mostly still graphics, and a couple of video clips. I've tried exporting earlier while I was putting the film together(i had 3 min of film & 5 min of audio) to make sure it worked and it worked fine. For some reason, now I have about 10 minutes and it absolutely does not work for me. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate some help.

-AY

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamie WonnacottRe: Error compiling movie
by on May 27, 2011 at 11:10:36 am

I experienced this same problem exporting a wedding video timeline as Avid DNxHD and found the following solution:
If you move the Rendering Dialogue Box (before clearing the error message) you can see which frame the export process stalled. I then navigated in the timeline to this frame and identified the clip affected. Using the Slide tool I shifted the clip a couple of frames to the left (or right). The clip then exported successfully.
I have no idea why this worked. I didn't have any gaps, non-iframe video clips or non-wav audio in the timeline.
Just one of those things I guess? Hope this helps.

Jamie Wonnacott
http://www.newvisionmedia.co.uk
http://www.entwinedfilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Jaeson JrakmanRe: Error compiling movie
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:25:31 am

If anyone has found a workable solution to this problem, please let me know in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/912020

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lourdes BorelliRe: Error compiling movie
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:49:18 pm

Hola tengo un problema no me deja importar archivos de audio mas especifico de música los descargue de distintos medio y cuando lo quiero importar me sale "Error en formato de archivo".Ya probé un montón de cosas y no encuentro solución.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]