Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Track Matte troubles in Premiere CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Boris MetzTrack Matte troubles in Premiere CS3
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 12:50:19 pm

Hi all, my first post here, and unfortunately for me, it is because I want Premiere to do something and I can't figure out how to get it done easily :)

Situation: I want to create some end titles/credits for my project, and what i want is for a portion of the screen to have text, and another portion to have for example a still image, with the rest being black background.

However I don't want the image to just sit there, I want to pan or zoom on the image but I don't want it to move around over the background. Basicly, as if you are looking through a frame and someone is moving the picture around behind that.

So I thought I would use a track matte. I've got my still image on video 1, I made a JPG in PS that is black with a white rectangle cutout for a frame and I put that on video 2. Apply the trackmatte effect to my still image, point it to video 2 using luma. So the frame shows up. Now I thought that if i would use the motion effect and keyframe the picture, that the picture would move around behind the matte as i intend.

Unfortunately, the entire frame moves with the same part of the picture behind it. If I keyframe the matte object, then the frame moves over different parts of the picture (basicly the reverse of what i want, i want the picture moving behind the frame, not the frame moving over the picture).

What i did find, is that i keyframe both of them, and basicly mirror what i do (+20 movement on one = -20 on the other) I pretty much get what i want, except the frame sometimes slightly changes size.

But it is a pretty laborious process, so i am hoping that someone here can tell me a quicker and simpler way of achieving what I want. Am i doing something wrong with the track matte, or should i use something else entirely? Or should i use After Effects?

Thank you for any help and tips!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent BecquiotRe: Track Matte troubles in Premiere CS3
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 6:10:35 pm

You mean something like this ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Boris MetzRe: Track Matte troubles in Premiere CS3
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 6:17:58 pm

Yep!

Any idea how?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2008 at 6:29:10 pm

I should, I made this one a minute ago :-)

Very easy. Create a Photoshop solid and cut out a transparent frame (becomes alpha channel)

(File here: http://www.kaptis.com/media/web/sample0010.psd )

Put that over your pictures track, and animate your pictures, that's about it...

Cheers,

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Boris MetzRe: Track Matte troubles in Premiere CS3
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 6:43:55 pm

LOL DOH!

good example of KISS Keep It Simple, Stupid!

As usual i was looking for a way too complicated solution. I can just put a black .gif with transparency over it even!

(time for head into wall slamming ;)

But thanks a million! :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2008 at 6:52:19 pm

Well, we're all guilty, I did try to make a computer cooler out of a small fridge once... I was younger :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark HowardRe: Track Matte troubles in Premiere CS3
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:35:47 pm

Hi, I have a Picture in picture question relating to keyframes.. Like the previous post, I think I might be over complicating thing.

Is there a way to keyframe a picture in picture? I've been using Flash for years, and its pretty simple, but didnt know if Adobe Premiere Pro CS 3 had something similar.

What I have is a typical pip setup. my video 2 track is a small inset (angle 2) that plays with the video 1 track (main video).

Angle 2 (the small inset) plays about 10 seconds longer than video 1.
What I'd like to have happen is after video one ends (the larger main video), I'd like for video 2 (the small inset) to scale up and fill the screen..

Is this possible in premiere pro cs3? Email me if you need more info on what I'm trying to accomplish

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]