Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

different resolution videos

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
soulsurferdifferent resolution videos
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 11:42:24 am

Hi,
I just purchased a Sony HC7 and I will want to be making a video that I have been collecting footage of over the past year. But most of the video is 720x480. So I have two problems. One is standard to widescreen (although I know there are conversion programs for that). If not, I can take video in 4:3 aspect with the hd camera. but the main problem still exists. While I was testing, I tried starting a DV project, but the HD files get cropped and look alot worse. I tried starting an HD 1080i project and the regular video files are in the center surrounded by a sea of black. Is there a way that I can zoom the regular file in a HD project so that the quality looks roughly the same as before but the HD videos retain their clear image. Otherwise, is there a way to shrink the HD down to the size of the DV resolution in PP? Either way I would like to make a video using both sources of footage. (luckily in the future, I will mainly use the hd source only)
Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jhalexRe: different resolution videos
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 2:53:18 pm

What kind of output do you want? HD? SD? Widescreen SD? The way I understand it, you just need to resize your SD footage big enough to make a crop for widescreen. There are some software out there that claims to do this better than the native resize filter in PP. I actually found Windows Media Encoder a better software for upsizing footage to HD, then just import the wmv to PP. Or, resize your HD footage in your SD comp which is a lot easier. Of course, you get pristine footage from your HD source.

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

soulsurferRe: different resolution videos
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 9:41:48 pm

So if I resize the the HD footage to SD, the footage would still look just as clear and pristine? I guess at this point I'm looking to make a video that I can burn to DVD that would still look as clear and high quality as possible. So I guess widescreen SD or 4:3 SD would be my target if the end result for the HD footage is as clear as it can be on DVD.
Thanks again,
Tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steven L. GotzRe: different resolution videos
by on Mar 5, 2007 at 1:13:01 am

It is still good, but not as good as it was at HDV. You shrank it. Don't expect miracles. But it should look as good as any of your SD material.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 5, 2007 at 5:47:20 am

So inversely, if I grew the SD material to HD resolution, would it look any worse on an HD TV than it would have before? And while we're talking about exporting to DVD, what is the best video encoder? I saw Microsoft DV AVI but I think like another post said, it was soft a little. And if I choose Microsoft AVI, then what's the best compressor? Cinepak? some other one? Or does it not make a difference?
Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 6, 2007 at 5:38:08 am

Sorry I was able to roughly answer my question on outputting. If I use the Export > Adobe Media Encoder, instead of the Export > Movie, it came out alot better with the mpg2. Now I want to play around with the actual clips some more. I would like to test cropping some of my 4:3 to 16:9 to see if it still looks OK. I thought I remember reading somewhere that there is some good software for that, but I can find it anymore. Does anyone have experience cropping video clips like that? What do people use most of the time?
Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steven L. GotzRe: different resolution videos
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 6:25:50 pm

You could look to "Resizer" to do the job, but you really would probably be better off capturing the HDV footage in a HDV project and then importing that captured footage into a SD 4:3 project and scale it down as desired.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]