Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
paytonhi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 9:34:38 pm

hi everybody,
everytime when i want to re-save a Premiere Project onto our server, there comes an error message, saying that i cant acces this file due to rights stuff. if i open a saved project it tells me that it can open it read-only.

Premiere is the only app that produces errors like these. It

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Leo BakerRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 2:32:54 am

Hello,

I sometimes save my project files onto a shared storage across a LAN. I have never had this problem. I am saving to a XP based workstation via a simple router/cross over cable. Sounds like your permissions are not setup correctly.

I use a network mapped drive to save my data to on XP Pro. Hope that helps?

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

paytonRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 8:47:14 am

hmmm. pretty weird.

the permissions need to be set correctly, because i can deletete, rename and... the file without any error message. im using the simple sharing method of XP because im far away from being a network admin.

any other thoughts?

payton

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Harm MillaardRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 10:33:31 am

Premiere is not suited for network operations. Let's assume two workstations working on the same project at the same time. Premiere has no way to merge the changes made by both editors. How would it know what is more relevant, the deletion of a scene by one editor or the changes made by another? And how to update the project for editor 2, when editor 1 has just saved changes?

That said, there is no problem opening, editing, changing projects as a single user from a network drive. I do it all the time, well not all, but some, with files stored on mapped network drives. The servers are running Windows 2003 Enterprise edition with DFS (distributed file system, somewhat like grid based storage) through VPN connections. The workstations are part of a domain running WinXP Pro, so there is no file sharing through WinXP.

For me this is easy, I have my son manage the network and security, he is MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCSP and God knows what else. In your case, I would try to find someone to help you with your network setup or become an autodidact. The only problem with becoming an autodidact is that your teacher is an idiot. LOL.

Harm Millaard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 20, 2006 at 11:13:27 am

i think its pretty normal that a program will get maybe chunky if two operators are opening the same file at the same time. nothing PPro special here.

the sharing is configured well. i can delete the file if i want, but cant overwrite it. why does every other app of the production studio can overwrite any files, but PPro not? this is a bug!

im not a network admin and dont want to be one in future - and my daughter is too young to manage it ;-)adobe needs to do their homework and i dont need to be one...

this bug needs to be fixed.

any more answers?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:19:10 pm

I teach Premiere in a network server enviournemnt and it is impossible to use. Premiere's authentication is stored in the user profile and that is wiped clean daily, requiring reinstall. The server wont deliver data in a timely fashion, playback was dicey. External devices are only recognized after a reboot. My Documents are wiped clean with every reboot. Crashes occur when the server polls each station. Virus scanning software bogs things down...the list goes on and on.

I had to get removable drives with XP only ghosted and no network software or connection.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DennisRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 8:13:03 pm

Mike, we are planning on using Premiere in a network environment as well. I don't understand the part about Premiere wiping the user profiles/data clean? Aren't all the Premiere software loaded on each individual computer, and the network is just for video/data files? This is how we are planning on doing it through gigabit ethernet cards. Can you please outline your setup?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 9:28:00 pm

Some issues arise from the Novell networking software installed on servers and clients within the CAN (Campus Area Network). CAN administrators configure the network to do many things to insure smooth function of the network, including protection from things like virus and students mucking with the computers with their own programs, spyware and clogging drives with trash...hence the digital janitor.
Slow, non-dedicated servers compound the problem by not delivering the data anywhere fast enough for video editing.
Most post houses use networks, but only as very fast storage for media. No software other than Windows XP and no administrators!. Very fast Raid arrays of SCSI or SATA drives that can deliver data to everyone in the house in a timely fashion.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Axel MoonshineRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Jan 3, 2007 at 9:17:42 am

Hi There,

Same problem over here. I use a desktop and laptop both with XP pro sp2 and premiere pro 2.
When working on a project on the laptop where the project is on the desktop i get the same error message that i don't have enough rights to save. i check the user profiles etc etc. with other programs i dont have this problem, i can delete and change files.
I will try it with the map drive settings (when i'm at home), thanks for that tip.

Axel Moonshine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 17, 2007 at 9:18:11 pm

did the map drive settings change anything for you?
payton

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Axel MoonshineRe: hi everybody,Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Network Saving Failure
by on Jan 26, 2007 at 1:38:53 pm

No the drive mapping didn't work.

:-(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS