Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro vs FCP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
kiangalaxyPremiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 4:36:35 am

Hello, this is my first time posting here, i switch from FCP to PREMIERE PRO now and found the following 'problem' that make my work slower...i would like to learn more about Premiere Pro and here are the comparison between this 2 editing software and my questions :

FCP: we can copy and paste the trasition
PP : is there anyway to copy and paste the transition ?

FCP: There have the blending mode.
PP: is there a blending mode like hard light, soft light, screen, overlay..etc ?

FCP: we can duplicate the clip by press Apple + Alt + click the clip
PP: what is the function of duplicate ( CTRL + SHIFT + / )

FCP: when I drag the video track from track 1 to 2, the audio track will follow and go to audio track 2.
PP: when i drag the video track from track 1 to others track, the audio clip remain in audio track 1, is there anyway to let the audio track follow the video track ?

FCP : double click the audio clip,in dual screen mode, we can adjust the level of audio in the left screen.
PP : double click the audio clip,in dual screen mode, we only can see the waveform of the audio, we cant do anything but just play it ?

FCP : We can change the sequence setting anywhere anytime, different sequences can have different setting.
PP: the setting only can be done when we open a new project, after that, we cant change the setting anymore ? for example i want to set it 720 x 576 instead of 720 x 480. can different sequences have it own setting ?

FCP : i use the color correction 3 way to do color correction.
PP : what is the filter to do the color correction ?

FCP : i can separate the audio track into boom sound and environment sound.
PP : how to do this in PP ?

FCP : i can easily pan the audio into center
PP : how to do this ? use the fill right / fill left filter ?

MORE TO COME...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

WAKA CreativeRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 4:14:13 pm

Not the definative answers, because I don't know every nook and cranny of PP, but do have several years of daily user experience.

FCP: we can copy and paste the trasition
PP : is there anyway to copy and paste the transition ?

Nope. In PP, you can change an existing transition simply by dropping the new one over the current one and you can save presets of your tweaked favorite transitions, but I haven't found a way to copy a transition from one part of the timeline to another.

FCP: There have the blending mode.
PP: is there a blending mode like hard light, soft light, screen, overlay..etc ?

Nope. A definate plus in FCP I would like to see in future versions of PP (and I think we will)

FCP: we can duplicate the clip by press Apple + Alt + click the clip

Allows you to Duplicate a clip, title, image, bin or sequence within the Project window, but not in the timeline. You can, of course, copy and paste a clip or group of clips (with Transitions/effects) on the timeline or copy just a clip's attributes and paste them onto another clip or group of clips.

FCP: when I drag the video track from track 1 to 2, the audio track will follow and go to audio track 2.
PP: when i drag the video track from track 1 to others track, the audio clip remain in audio track 1, is there anyway to let the audio track follow the video track ?

I don't believe so, but this has it's advantages. Say you want to keep the nats from all you B-roll clips on the same track but in some cases the video needs to be on Video track 2 or 3, etc. So I don't count this as a negative in PP

FCP : double click the audio clip,in dual screen mode, we can adjust the level of audio in the left screen.
PP : double click the audio clip,in dual screen mode, we only can see the waveform of the audio, we cant do anything but just play it ?

Adjustments/effects to the audio are controled in the same control panel as video, the Effects Control panel. In PP, you can position or dock this "Effects Control" panel where ever you like. If you want it in your source monitor, it can go there and be assessable as a "tab" panel. It can Free Float anywhere on your screen. Me? I dock it within my workspace as an always open panel. A mirror of your timeline is also within the Effects Control Panel so you can easily keyframe the effects both to audio and/or video.

FCP : We can change the sequence setting anywhere anytime, different sequences can have different setting.
PP: the setting only can be done when we open a new project, after that, we cant change the setting anymore ? for example i want to set it 720 x 576 instead of 720 x 480. can different sequences have it own setting ?

You can change your project settings at anytime within PP, but I don't think you can have sequences within the same project using different settings. At least, I don't see an option for that. I can see a few circumstances where that ability would be handy, but it hasn't come up yet for me. If you have a project that, say uses NTSC settings, and you want the same timeline, but in PAL settings; PP does allow you to create the new project (using PAL settings) and then import your NTSC based project. PP will convert the imported NTSC timeline to conform to PAL, but you will need to go through your imported project and check all your transition/effects etc to make sure they're all still working correctly.

FCP : i use the color correction 3 way to do color correction.

There are multiple color correction and adjustment tools in PP. Look within the Effects panel under "color Correction" and you'll see "Three-way Color Correction" or just type the word "color" in the field after "contains" at the top of the Effects Panel and see how many effects pop up. I have an AXIO/Adobe comb so I typically use the AXIO's CC tools. ALSO, most Photoshop and AE plug-ins work within PP as well.

FCP : i can separate the audio track into boom sound and environment sound.
PP : how to do this in PP ?

You're asking about seperating audio L/R or Audio Channels - right? In PP, you can isolate L(1) or R(2) either by panning or by using the Fill Left (or Right) audio effect. If you want both on the timeline, but on seperate tracks, you can duplicate the associated audio track and do a pan or fill to left(1) on each track. If desired, you can then re-"Link" the 2 audio tracks to the original clip so they'll always be in sync as you move the clip around. (if you accidently slide them out of sync, don't worry -- PP will tell you so and by how many frames)

FCP : i can easily pan the audio into center
PP : how to do this ? use the fill right / fill left filter ?

See above. Yes, you can Fill Right (or Left) so that the same audio track (L1 or R2) plays out of both stereo speakers.

Hope that helps.

WAKA Creative

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 10:54:47 pm

[WAKA Creative] "PP: is there a blending mode like hard light, soft light, screen, overlay..etc ?

Nope. A definate plus in FCP I would like to see in future versions of PP (and I think we will)"

Apply the filter called "calculations." It supports Photoshop transfer modes.

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kiangalaxyRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 1:56:24 am

Apply the filter called "calculations." It supports Photoshop transfer modes.

is that mean that everytime i want to do some changes, i have to go to Photoshop to edit the file ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 2:27:56 am

[kiangalaxy] "is that mean that everytime i want to do some changes, i have to go to Photoshop to edit the file ?"

No...the transfer modes available in "calculations" are based on Photoshop's transfer modes...soft light, etc.

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aanarav SareenRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:27:03 pm

[WAKA Creative] "FCP : i use the color correction 3 way to do color correction.

There are multiple color correction and adjustment tools in PP. Look within the Effects panel under "color Correction" and you'll see "Three-way Color Correction" or just type the word "color" in the field after "contains" at the top of the Effects Panel and see how many effects pop up. I have an AXIO/Adobe comb so I typically use the AXIO's CC tools. ALSO, most Photoshop and AE plug-ins work within PP as well."

Also, take a look at the Premiere Pro podcast. It will show you how to get started with the basics of color-correction in Premiere Pro.

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

http://www.asvideoproductions.com/techtalk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 13, 2006 at 1:42:15 am

Nope. A definate plus in FCP I would like to see in future versions of PP (and I think we will)

ya, i hope so , even Canopus Edius have blending mode, why not PP.

Allows you to Duplicate a clip, title, image, bin or sequence within the Project window, but not in the timeline. You can, of course, copy and paste a clip or group of clips (with Transitions/effects) on the timeline or copy just a clip's attributes and paste them onto another clip or group of clips.

OIC !!! it only apply on the project window.I get it!!
another question raise up for me, if i have a Title, can't i just copy and paste and do some changes to the duplicated Title while the initial Title remain unchange ? that's mean i need the "save as" function, or else i end up with pressing F9 everytime to create a new title.

I don't believe so, but this has it's advantages. Say you want to keep the nats from all you B-roll clips on the same track but in some cases the video needs to be on Video track 2 or 3, etc. So I don't count this as a negative in PP

ya, may be i have to get use to it sooner. it trouble me because for every time i want to drag the video to somewhere else in the timeline, i have to make sure the audio track at that place is empty(but almost all the time, my 1st audio track is fulled), or else it will overlap the other audio clip.

Adjustments/effects to the audio are controled in the same control panel as video, the Effects Control panel. In PP, you can position or dock this "Effects Control" panel where ever you like. If you want it in your source monitor, it can go there and be assessable as a "tab" panel. It can Free Float anywhere on your screen. Me? I dock it within my workspace as an always open panel. A mirror of your timeline is also within the Effects Control Panel so you can easily keyframe the effects both to audio and/or video.

I guess u are asking me to set the keyframe at the Effect control panel, but i dont see any waveform in that panel so....i have to set the keyframe at the timeline where i can see the waveform there.
anyway i still digesting wat u want to tell me...

i do some tv programes, so is there any function to set the timecode bar in PP ? i can see a ' Timecode' in the File tab, wat is it for ? and wat is the function of 'Revert '

THANKS A LOT for ur answers, it does help me to understand more on PP hope to hear from u soon...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent BecquiotRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 5:23:11 am

>>>"another question raise up for me, if i have a Title, can't i just copy and paste and do some changes to the duplicated >>>Title while the initial Title remain unchange ? that's mean i need the "save as" function, or else i end up with pressing >>>F9 everytime to create a new title."

I'm using 2.0, not sure what version you are using.

If you duplicate the title, changes to the new title will only be reflected on the new title, or maybe I am misunderstanding you question...

>>>"PP: when i drag the video track from track 1 to others track, the audio clip remain in audio track 1, is there anyway to >>>let the audio track follow the video track ?
>>>I don't believe so, but this has it's advantages. Say you want to keep the nats from all you B-roll clips on the same track >>>but in some cases the video needs to be on Video track 2 or 3, etc. So I don't count this as a negative in PP"

In theory, you should not have to move the audio to another track from where you first placed it, since the track doesn't affect audio in the timeline, and it should remain where it was when you move the video to another track.

Just to confirm the right workflow: Set your in/out points in the source window, select the video/audio target tracks, then hit "." and everything will land where they should. You really rarely should need to move things between tracks if you planned it right.

>>>"i do some tv programes, so is there any function to set the timecode bar in PP ? i can see a ' Timecode' in the File tab, >>>wat is it for ?"

Do you mean alter the timecode ? You can set a zero point anywhere in the timeline. Use the small arrow at the top right of the timeline.

>>>"and what is the function of 'Revert '"

Right click on a clip and select speed/duration.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 13, 2006 at 3:29:45 am

Nope. In PP, you can change an existing transition simply by dropping the new one over the current one and you can save presets of your tweaked favorite transitions, but I haven't found a way to copy a transition from one part of the timeline to another.

so if i want to apply the same length of a transition to every clips i put, i need to adjust it one by one ?

'we will'..? mean you are one of them who .....something like softwares enginnering ?

Yes !! here i know that duplicate is only apply in the project window!! OIC.
if i duplicate a Title and do some changes, the initial Title will change, is there any 'save as' function ? so that i dont have to hit F9 everytime i want to create a new title and type all over again...

ya, may be i have to get use to this way, but i have to make sure the 1st audio track is always empty whenever i want to drag a video audio clip, but very often, my 1st audio track is fulled, so that's why it trouble me..

i still digesting wat u want to tell me, not very understand it.
anyway if i do it in th effect control panel, i cant see the waveform there, so it is difficult for me to set the keyframes, while in FCP, we can either do the mixing in the timeline or in dual screen (left screen).

You can change your project settings at anytime within PP, but I don't think you can have sequences within the same project using different settings. At least, I don't see an option for that. I can see a few circumstances where that ability would be handy, but it hasn't come up yet for me. If you have a project that, say uses NTSC settings, and you want the same timeline, but in PAL settings; PP does allow you to create the new project (using PAL settings) and then import your NTSC based project. PP will convert the imported NTSC timeline to conform to PAL, but you will need to go through your imported project and check all your transition/effects etc to make sure they're all still working correctly.
how to change my project size from 720 x 576 to 356 x 288 ?

under the File tab, i see 'timecode' and 'revert' what are these for ?

i am doing some programmes for broadcast so i need to set the timecode bar for the tv station, how to do this in PP ?

thanks for ur reply, it does help me a lot in understanding PP !!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 12:48:44 pm

Yes !! here i know that duplicate is only apply in the project window!! OIC.
if i duplicate a Title and do some changes, the initial Title will change, is there any 'save as' function ? so that i dont have to hit F9 everytime i want to create a new title and type all over again...

Open title 1 and select Title (menu bar) and choose New Title based on current title. Make changes...the original remains unchanged.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hector MelendezRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 7:22:07 pm

kiangalaxy, there are "work-arounds" to achieve what you're looking for. But you will have to play with PP and take notes to remember after.
PP is a tool... can't do all we want but "planning" will make the goal.
This means using third party software... (Photoshop, AE, Bluff Titler, 3D album, Photo Show.
PP is a powerfull editor, but it need to improve some areas. (For me the audio and global changes)Let see in future releases if the developers listen the users!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

WAKA CreativeRe: Premiere Pro vs FCP
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 3:33:03 pm

"so if i want to apply the same length of a transition to every clips i put, i need to adjust it one by one ?"

Well, you can set your default transition and length. Go to Edit-Preferences-General to set default Video and Audio Transition lengths. In the Effects Panel, pick your fave transition, right click and you get an option to set this as the default transition.

For example, I have 20 Frames set as default Video Transition length and Dissolve set as my default transition. But if I use a wipe, it will by default also be 20 frames.

To change the length, you can use your mouse to drag the head or tail of the transition to desired length, (a pop-up will tell you the amount of change in frames) or Change it in the Effects Control Panel

'we will'..? mean you are one of them who .....something like softwares enginnering ?

Nah, not by a long shot. But this is an obvious improvement and it just seems likely that Adobe will want to keep pace with FCP. My Thanks to Mr. Kolb for pointing out the "calculations" filter. I'll give that a try.

"if i duplicate a Title and do some changes, the initial Title will change, is there any 'save as' function ? so that i dont have to hit F9 everytime i want to create a new title and type all over again..."

Actually, a neat way PP allows you to duplicate a existing title is built into the Titler. Just open your existing the title within the Titler, and look for the "T on a filmstrip" icon (usually in the upper left) Click on it and a pop-up allows you to name a new title based on the old one. Now you can alter the new one with no fear of messing up your old one.

anyway if i do it in th effect control panel, i cant see the waveform there, so it is difficult for me to set the keyframes, while in FCP, we can either do the mixing in the timeline or in dual screen (left screen).

Have you tried the Audio Mixer panel? You do know that you can set audio key frames (where you can see waveform if desired) on the timeline and they will appear in the effects control panel? (and vise-versa)

how to change my project size from 720 x 576 to 356 x 288 ?

Under "Project Setting" menu. But if your goal is to create a 356x288 version for web or CD, why not just make those choices when exporting? PP has some pretty good presets and options there for creating various format versions of your project.

under the File tab, i see 'timecode' and 'revert' what are these for ?

Revert gives you a chance to "revert" to the last saved version of your project. As for File-Timecode, the PP manual says....

"At times you may want to change the timecode from that recorded by Adobe Premiere Pro. For example, you captured footage from a DV copy of a Hi8 tape originally recorded with RCTC (Rewritable Consumer Time Code). The DV copy, and the video files on your computer copied from it, carry the DV timecode, not the original RCTC. For convenience in referencing shot logs made for the original Hi8 tape, you want to reset the timecode to the original RCTC numbers.
Select the clip in the Project panel.
Choose File > Timecode, specify options as needed, and click OK."

Hope that helps....

WAKA Creative

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]