Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gonavy0806HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 12:12:32 am

I am having the same problem that many others have experienced with corrupted files in Adobe Premiere Pro. I have read in many places that the XMLWrench program might help fix the problem. My issue is that I cannot find the right project file (xml format) to open. Any assistance is definitely appreciated, as I am on a deadline to finish this video (which I have already put countless hours into) by Saturday.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gonavy0806Re: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 12:27:07 am

When I try to open the project file in xmlwrench, I don't know which file to select / which extension to use. Thank you in advance for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aanarav SareenRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 12:51:13 am

[gonavy0806] "I am having the same problem that many others have experienced with corrupted files in Adobe Premiere Pro."

Define "many others" In the 3 years that I have used Premiere Pro, I have not once seen a corrupted project. In any case, do you have backup copies of your project? Take a look at the "Auto Save" folder.

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 10, 2006 at 1:03:59 am

I say "many others" after performing 2 hours of research on the internet. By corrupted files, I mean the error message "Project appears to be damaged and cannot be opened." There are others with this same problem on quite a few forums. I did have AutoSave on, and also saved my project before and after each rendering. However, the autosaves are in no way current and furthermore are unable to find the location of the pictures and audio I have placed in the timeline. As for not being current, maybe since I manually saved every 3 minutes, Premiere Pro doesn't AutoSave unless there's been at least 5 minutes without a save?

The most promising result to fix my problem (from what I have read so far) is to use xmlwrench or a like program to clean up the file. [Suggestion on stevengotz.com/premierepro.htm], [also a very extensive post at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ then go to Question number 106].

Thanks for your reply; please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent BecquiotRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 6:51:37 am

It should still auto save... If it's corrupted, there's probably not much you can do. You could try importing the project inside a new project, but the likeliness of that working is pretty low. If you have to go back to the autosave files, Premiere should ask you to locate the missing footage.

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 12:09:30 pm

Auto Save creates (by default) 5 .pproj files in a seperate folder (preferences). It does this every 20 minutes (again default) so the most work one should loose is 20 minutes by opening the latest version.
While I have not had a corrupt project file, I have seen more than a few. Most are 50 MB + in size and created by newbies who edit in the timeline and not the source window.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 10, 2006 at 12:35:16 pm

As much as I wouldn't want to admit it, I may be a "newbie." What's the difference between editing in the timeline and the source window? How is each process different? Thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat McGowanRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 1:46:27 pm

What does editing in the timeline vs the surce window have to do with the application's performance?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ajay1371Re: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:48:55 pm

I have been editing in timeline for years, yet to see a corrupt project ( knock on the wood )

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CohenRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 4:36:29 pm

I had a corrupt project a couple weeks ago. The auto save saved my neck - luckily remembered what I did that was lost. Now I save a new version of my project every day, just to be on the safe side.

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent BecquiotRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 10, 2006 at 6:54:43 pm

Well, in my case, editing strictly in the timeline does give Premiere a whole more to chew on as far a system performance go.

In fact, there are many things that I used to do in the timeline such as resizing and cutting clips that would cause Premiere to freeze on rendered footage.

A corrupted footage though can be the cause of many things. Moving projects between drives, or USB sticks, even a bad hardrive wouldn't surprise me. Also, if you are saving manually that often, I would look into changing the name once in a while.

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 11, 2006 at 12:50:51 pm

I suspect;
Cutting, trimming and moving clips in the timeline records every move into the Project file. Often this can be as many as a dozen or more moves with the mouse for what amounts to 3 keystrokes in the Source window..
Setting In and Out points in the source window and using the Insert command results in much less being recorded into the Project file.
50 Megabytes of editing decisions is probably more than Hollywood editors create for a feature length film.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott81Re: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Nov 24, 2006 at 12:46:18 am

Hi,

I am most assuredly a newbie, and I'm encountering a host of problems. I won't burden you with them in this thread--most of them stem from the stupid propensity that XP has to randomly disconnect my 1394 external drive (this is all too well documented online in connection with many brands of drive, many different computers--cold comfort).

Why I'm writing here: if I can manage to fix that crippling 1394 connection problem, I still might be in for "newbie" sorrows, because currently my project file is 20 megs, and it's only about 1/5 into the film (it's going to be about 50 minutes long)! I try to do as much in the source window as possible, like setting in and outs points, but then I drag them down into the timeline and edit from there. I think I might just not understand the extent to which one can 'edit in the timeline'. I remember seeing it in the Help, but I didn't really understand the principle. All the editing I've done before, in earlier versions of Adobe Premiere and in Final Cut, has been timeline-centric.

If you have any tips, please tell me how to cut down on my apparently-out-of-control file size in the future...also, is there a way to go back through the editing I've already done and keep the same sequences, but somehow reduce the amount of space they take up???

Thank you,

Scott

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elizabeth AriaRe: HELP HELP - Premiere Pro project files are corrupted
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 8:16:01 am

I have a corrupted project file as well, and am searching for a solution. I've had Premiere CS4 for about 10 months on my computer, and a few months into using it, it developed the charming glitch of not being able to open an auto-saved file at least 70% of the time. It also randomly crashes ("Premiere has encountered a problem ..." msg) or just hangs up ("not responding"), quite often.

In an attempt not to loose my hard work so often, I learned to personally save the file every 5 to 10 minutes or so, and under a different name at least a few times per day. I've always been able to open a file I saved myself, but hardly ever an auto-saved version of the project.

While I was exporting/rendering my project file through Encore, Encore froze, I closed it, saved the project file in Premiere once again (Premiere was not frozen) closed Premiere and rebooted. After that I could not get the project file open, or any of the auto saved versions open either. Rather than giving me an error message, the yellow loading bar would load all the way to the end, and then just stay stuck. I had a friend try to open the project file on their computer to see what would happen, and they got an error message about the file being corrupted or damaged and that Premiere would not be able to open it.

The project file is around 30megs.

I'm running on a quad-core processor, 8gigs of ram, Windows Vista, terabyte hard drive system that is rated at a 5.9 Windows performance score on every aspect other than the hard-drive.

All other recently saved project files from this film open without a problem, but unfortunately they are missing the clip-by-clip detailed color correction effects that I recently adjusted. And of course, a major film festival deadline is just a few weeks away...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]