Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Premiere not replacing clip...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sunset PicturesPremiere not replacing clip...
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:26:13 pm

Hello,

The problem that we are experiecning is that Premiere will not replace a clip that is offline in the project even though the clip in question is sitting on the harddrive with the exact same name.

After selecting 'replace clip', Premiere gives the message,' The media type of the selected file is different from that of the missing or offline file.'

Could anyone please explain why the file which is missing would not be replaceable when its right on my harddrive.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Timothy KurkoskiRe: Premiere not replacing clip...
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 5:39:47 pm

What's different between the clip you are replacing and the clip you are replacing it with? Premiere Pro may be detecting a difference in frame rate, frame size, etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sunset PicturesRe: Premiere not replacing clip...
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 7:24:50 pm

Thank you for quick response. Adobe premiere 6.0 does not recognize the avi files. The files have not changed we can open the files under other players but we need to access the edit. it is still the same files that was used when first edited. However the computer has changed and this premiere version is more modern and the timeline shows the edit but no image is seen and the avi is no longer recognized. what next?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 21, 2005 at 8:42:58 pm

Well, it looks like we're operating in a vacuum of information here. We need to nail down a few basics before continuing:

* Is this Windows or Mac?
* What version of Premiere are you running now?
* What version of Premiere were you running when the problem began?
* What changed since the project worked and now?

There's no particular reason that any version of Premiere shouldn't recognize a file that it was able to read before, unless something about the file has changed, or something else on the computer is preventing the file from being read. (Such as a codec being uninstalled.) We're just going to be spinning around in circles until we know the complete story.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:22:48 am

> Here are the answers

> Well, it looks like we're operating in a vacuum of information here. We need to nail down a few basics before continuing:
>
> * Is this Windows or Mac? Windows XP
> * What version of Premiere are you running now? 6.0
> * What version of Premiere were you running when the problem began? earlier version
> * What changed since the project worked and now? the computer to a better pc and
the premiere to a better newer version.
>
WHAT CODEC do we need and where do i ownload it from?

Thanks so much,
regards b

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Premiere not replacing clip...
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 12:21:52 pm

Your previous PC may have had a third party capture card...Pinnacle or Canopus which uses a proprietary codec supported by the hardware card. Your AVI files can be converted to Microsoft DirectShow, but only on a PC with the above capture card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:53:23 pm

Agreed. If you were using a version of Premiere prior to 6.0, I'd be suprised if you weren't using a card, meaning you were hardware dependent.

Can you play the AVI file in Windows Media Player, or does it give you an error?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:38:54 pm

ok thats a step forwards. I did have pinnacle capture card. But i don't have it anymore. The avi files do open in windows media player( as per your question) is there an alternative plan here ?
thanks! you guys are fantastic. I wish i knew about this site earlier while i was having problems with the my avid and my fcp editing equipment for the HD television show i edited earlier this summer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Premiere not replacing clip...
by on Dec 23, 2005 at 12:21:28 pm

If Window's media player will play the files you can covert them to a Premiere friendly codec using one of zillion media converters....a good free one is VirtualDub.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 27, 2005 at 8:33:06 pm

hello,
we used virtual dub codec to open the avi files, but we were not able to do so. i suppose we're missing something here. what should we do next?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]