Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

NX70 - audio problem with two XLR inputs

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kim HansenNX70 - audio problem with two XLR inputs
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:31:39 pm

Being a amateur documentarist and on location in India, I'm writing this in a state of desperation.

Problem:

I got a NX-70, which I love. I got two XLR audio inputs connected, one being the shotgun mic that followed with the camera, the other being a microport. It's important to stress that I can get both working seperately, if they are connected *alone*. BUT - when I connect both, I always end up only recording what is in channel 1. Even when the XLR connector is set to ch1+2 and I hear audio "live" in my headphones the result, when I watch daily recordings later at a television, will only be from ch1.

If anyone can help, I would be eternally gratefull. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad WhiteRe: NX70 - audio problem with two XLR inputs
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:11:25 pm

Kim,

The XLR adapter is NOT a mic mixer. When the adapter is set to CH1+CH2 it only means that the mic plugged into "Input 1" will be recorded on "channnel 1 PLUS channel 2" (left plus right channels) of the recorded audio track, for a mono effect. "Input 2" is not active in this mode. If you change the selector switch to CH1, the mic plugged into "Input 1" will only be recorded on channel 1 (left channel) and if you also have a mic plugged into "Input 2" it will be recorded on channel 2 (right channel), for a stereo effect. This new XLR adapter now has the ability to balance the gain of the two input levels, unlike previous versions.
This can be a bit confusing until you get used to it. If you really want two or more inputs (mic or line) to be combined and appear on the left and right audio tracks, you will need an external mic mixer. Then the output of the mixer will go to "Input 1" on the adapter with the switch setting to CH1+CH2.

Brad

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Kim HansenRe: NX70 - audio problem with two XLR inputs
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:03:17 am

Thank you, Brad! I think this solves my sleepless worries; I'll record with the XLR adapter set to CH1 from now on, when I have two microphones connected.

I just got confused because when I attached the camera to a (cheap Indian) Samsung television, all I could hear was audio from one of the microphones, not two of them at the same time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]