Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

NX5 AVCHD not acceptable to broadcasters?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Joseph MorganNX5 AVCHD not acceptable to broadcasters?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:25:46 pm

Hi - I read somewhere along the line that the AVCHD format of product created using the Sony NX5 was not 'generally acceptable to broadcasters'.

As a journalist who has recently bought an NX5 and has ambitions to 'branch out' and make documentaries, that I would like to see broadcast on either side of the Atlantic one day, this could make things a bit difficult!

Can anyone comment on the reality of the situation? Does it actually matter as maybe most broadcasters still only take SD product rather than HD? I wish I knew. Can I use an NX5 to make 'broadcast quality' documentaries?

Cheers,

Joseph in Ireland with his new NX5

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john lenihanRe: NX5 AVCHD not acceptable to broadcasters?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:30:43 pm

Joseph,

Chances are that it is still true, but may change.

Each broadcast property has their own set of minimum camera that they will accept. Discovery Channel is one is often used as a standard. BBC is another.

It took a year or two after the Sony EX 1 and 3 were in the market before the made the list for Discovery channel.

Television decided about 10 years ago to standardize on the mpeg compression format, when that was the only game in town. I don't think they would accept avchd format for a long time for prime time.

However, you could obviously render your output to mpeg format and they would be happy. Plus Blu-ray players play mpeg or avc. And you could obviously record from the HDSDI port to an external recorder direct to mpeg. I suspect that there is more than just the avchd format that would keep them out of the acceptable cameras.

But the nxcam doesn't record in as high of bit rate as the Sony ex families. The lens is not all that expensive. To be safe, you should contact the possible broadcast channels you will be trying to sell this to and find out if nxcam is on their list yet. Or buy something already on the list like the Sony EX family.

If you have compelling content, recorded and edited in broadcast quality manor, you could find channels that would accept it. Just look at the nightly television where they broadcast utube videos that were taken from cellphones.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MorganRe: NX5 AVCHD not acceptable to broadcasters?
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:04:10 pm

Thanks John. Appreciated. Joseph

Joseph in Ireland with his new NX5

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]