Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HXR NX5U image flicker problem

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gemma holdwayHXR NX5U image flicker problem
by on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:29:52 pm

Hi there,

We've received some footage from a cameraman on a hard drive that was shot on an HXR-NXSU camera. We used log and transfer on a Mac to convert the files to .MOVs. The editor then imported the .Movs into Avid (version 4.0.5). She has begun editing however, quite a few of the shots (with movement like a pan or tilt) have a slight flicker on the screening monitor which is disorientating to look at after a while.

We've spoken to a few experts and have had no luck determining what the cause is. We thought it might be the conversion to apple prores 422 that may have caused it or perhaps it's the camera. additionally we are editing in SD and the footage was shot in HD.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken WilsonRe: HXR NX5U image flicker problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:18:02 pm

I'll bet that you are having the same problem I had - the field order is wrong for your edit project. Check the sttings of your project and see if it's set to render upper or lower field first, and then check the properties of the footage to make sure it matches.

You probably have an option to make the footage conform to the project specs, and if so you should make sure it is checked/activated. If not, you may have to manually conform the footage.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric PensenstadlerRe: HXR NX5U image flicker problem
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 6:57:42 pm

Hello, I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I do have the same question, so I'm posting in hopes of resurrecting this thread.

Footage filmed with the NX5u set to SD 720x480 60i looks fine on computer monitor (editing with Final Cut Pro). When I export a clip and burn it to DVD using iDVD I get two things:

1. When viewing the SD DVD on a regular SD TV the footage is very jittery, or, flickers. It looks like it was filmed with 1/30 shutter speed or even 24p. The footage flickers very bad on movement, and even still flickers on static shots too. When viewing footage this way I do not notice interlacing, only the flicker.

2. When viewing the same DVD on a flatscreen HD TV it plays smooth in that the jitter, or flicker, is gone, but then the interlacing is severe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to at least narrow down whether it's coming from the camera (settings) or from the editing program (FCP).

Thank you,
Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken WilsonRe: HXR NX5U image flicker problem
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:10:38 pm

Eric,
This sounds like the same field reversal issue. I don't know FCP, but I suspect there's a way you can switch the way it interpolates the footage from upper field first to lower field.
I do know that MPEG for DVD is lower field first, and the NXCAM shoots upper field first.
-Ken Wilson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:14:48 pm

Thank you for your reply Ken.

What you said seems to make perfect sense, and if I hadn't already tried that I'd be feeling pretty good with your answer.

I did a test using the deinterlace filter and I tried both upper and lower with the filter settings. Unfortunately I saw the same results when viewing on the SD tv and the HD tv.

Right now I'm going to try burning to DVD the same clip with two more options:

1. applying flicker filter
2. applying both flicker filter and deinterlace filter.

I will report back.

Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael JohnstonRe: HXR NX5U image flicker problem
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 4:51:57 am

This is a FCP issue with conversion. Use a software conversion. Program like Sorensen Squeeze or streamclip to convert before importing to FCP and you'll have no issues. AVCHD does not convert well to ProRes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: HXR NX5U image flicker problem
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 10:27:53 am

I Log and Transfer 1080 60i AVCHD NX5 footage to Prores in FCP almost daily, with excellent results. Delivering in both HD (Blu-ray) and SD (DVD), viewed on a variety of TV's.

I think we need some more info to figure it out. Camera settings while recording? Did you get the original file folder from the Camera's card, or was the video brought to you in another form? Sequence settings? Compression settings? etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:26:22 pm

Thank you very much for that info. That is what I found out the hard way. Unfortunately the first few projects I shot with these cameras I immediately log and transferred directly from the camera into FCP, then of course cleared the cards. So I'm stuck. I've found a work around that is time consuming and reduces quality a bit, but it helps - being that the projects are not for broadcast.

I do now transfer the cards to an external drive and then log & transfer into FCP. Those were SD, but what about HD. Everything I've read says with HD to go ahead and L&T into FCP and let it convert the files to Apple ProRess 422. Do you still use Squeeze or Streamclip with HD clips from this camera before L&T into FCP?

Thank you!
Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]