Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kevin MatthewsAVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 12:07:24 am

I have a Sony NX70, I am shooting documentaries with the intent of being able to provide the TV broadcaster with the best quality, I am editing on the latest and fastest equipped iMAC using Final Cut Studio 7. To make the work of transferring files, editing etc.... should I be shooting with the NX70 camera rec mode set at AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS?

I am just coming out of the DVCAM simple world of Standard Definition (SD) and have very little understanding of these new HD formats, I read about them, but am not clear on which is the best for all round work ease and broadcast.

I welcome any assistance on this.

Kevin Matthews

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john lenihanRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 1:37:49 am

The short answer is that if you are working for a broadcaster, then ask them what format they want.
They may have a format that fits in their workflow better.

The slightly longer answer is that as far as I know, there are NO broadcasts being made in 1080 x 60p. Only 1080 60i or 1080 30p. To get to 108060p is defined in the bluray specification, but not in current broadcast specifications, since it takes twice the bits of 1080 30p.

The reason I say find out what their requirements are is:
1. Broadcasts are done in MPEG2 not avchd anyway. Actually I have been reading about some tests using avchd in order to get 3D video, but it is not common.

2. There are some broadcasters, like Fox Sports, that are broadcasting in 720 x 60p. So if you are looking to deliver highest quality, it probably is best if they do not have to transcode it.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael JohnstonRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 4:32:41 pm

John makes great points. However I will point out that there are many networks who want 1080/30p and send that signal out BUT nearly all cable/satellite boxes convert it back to 1080/60i before it gets to your TV. The only time you get real progressive scan at home is on Blu-Ray. As a result, if you aren't sure about the network you're shooting for or you plan to distribute across multiple platforms, 1080/60i is the safest bet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MatthewsRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:40:51 pm

Great - thanks so much John and Michael.

As it is now I am shooting 1080/60i, however there appears to be some other issues with this format when working in FCP Studio 7. I keep coming across something about FCP not having the ability to actually work with AVCHD to render it to its fullest quality(?) and footage needs to be converted after it is imported into FCP(?), can anyone enlighten me on this?

Kevin Matthews

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 10:33:56 pm

Shane Ross can enlighten you-

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 9, 2012 at 11:07:24 pm

Ok - I watched the video presentation, but I am still not clear on what it is exactly that I have to do when bringing in NXCam AVCHD - ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael JohnstonRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 6:43:41 am

FCP 7 can not use AVCHD natively. It must be transcoded to ProRes. I have a NX5U and, using FCP log and transfer, I've NEVER had an issue using 60i or 30p and have seen no loss of quality in the transcode.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:46:13 pm

So in other words what you are saying is that I don't have to download some special transcoder, importing footage into FCP using the already existing ProRes 422 in FCP will do the job - correct?

Thanks Michael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric PensenstadlerRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 5:56:37 pm

That is correct.

You might want to consider dumping the camera files onto a harddrive and THEN doing a log & transfer into FCP from this files (as opposed to connecting the camera to the computer and going directly into FCP).

Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 10, 2012 at 7:29:49 pm

OK - truly all of your guys' assistance is much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have other issues in the future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

don hennigRe: AVCHD 1080/60i HQ or 1080/60p PS
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:40:27 am

Hey Kevin.....just did a search today only to find your question and the replies. I am in the exact same boat. I retired my Sony PD-150 (it died a slow death) and purchased 2 of the NX70s. I'm sure you have found out that we both just jumped into the big time. The video work for me has been a part time endevour, since I have been full time at Kenworth Truck Co. in Ohio for 38 years. I am retiring at the end of the year and will hang out the shingle full time. I do weddings, event videos, photo montages as well as emergency (I run with our township fire department) and surgery videography. I'd love to hear back from you by email to keep tabs on your progress into this wonderful world of "I'm just not sure what I should be doing". donhennigvideo@horizonview.net tks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]