Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Blog: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan

COW Forums : COW - Blogs

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
walter biscardiBlog: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:34:05 pm

Just got a sneak peek at the new Autodesk Smoke. WOW is all I'm allowed to say so let me say it again. WOW!

Avid and Adobe might have gotten the party started but the discussion about Post Production will really begin on Sunday. For once, the actual product is going to live up to the hype. Smoke IS changing and this is one company that really REALLY listened. I

http://www.smokeischanging.com to sign up for the event.

If you won't be there on Sunday and are coming to NAB, put the Autodesk booth to the top of your list.

One more time. WOW!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sohrab SandhuRe: Blog: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:00:07 pm

[walter biscardi] "Smoke IS changing and this is one company that really REALLY listened."

I think what most people wanted to tell Autodesk was to make the pricing more affordable. And if your post is any indication then we might be in for some nice surprises!

For those of us who cant make it, keep us updated Walter.

Thanx & All the best!

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi & Adobe PPro

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Blog: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:48:11 am

Walter,

Without letting any cats out of the bag, do you see yourself adding Smoke to your facility based on what has been shown to you?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: Blog: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:07:12 am

NAB is going to be a WOW! show this year. Sad to say, but I think FCP X is going to be left in the dust.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

walter biscardi@Steve Eisen
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:26:22 pm

I don't know that X will be left in the dust, I just think it will take a VERY long time before any one NLE becomes the dominant player again like Avid or FCP. There are so many good tools out there right now and more coming that folks can use what they feel most comfortable with.

Right now we're cutting with Avid because that's the tool that gives us the most comfort in broadcast. With other projects, we're cutting Premiere Pro because it's easy and it's pretty much everything native.

As long as the tools can talk to each other and we can interchange information, that's the most important thing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

walter biscardi@Alan Okey
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:23:47 pm

Absolutely, already ready to steal a copy or two from Marc-André when he's not looking. :)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil HurwitzRe: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:19:32 am

From my perspective, It really doesn't matter what
the new "Smoke" does. I know you guys so lets be real here and at roughly ten times the cost or about 13,000.00
more than Adobe or Avid, It will be a small niche player.
So, so many of you guys jumped on FCP not because it was
better, but it certainly was cheap.
So Walter, IF IT'S PRICE STAYS THE SAME are you a buyer??
Why or Why not??
I'm not going to be at NAB this year, and in a former life owned a Henry, So Could you please report on the new Quantel Stuff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HortonRe: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:05:17 am

Those of us who have seen it can't comment on it other than to say it REALLY is not hype. Smoke will be at the SuperMeet too and we are privileged to show it.

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardi@Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:23:17 pm

Neil I am going to be a buyer. You will see why on Sunday.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:07:05 pm

After getting burned by their orphaning of Edit* and Combustion, why should I trust Autodesk again, no matter how awesome the product? How long are they going to stand behind their product this time, is my question. They make all their money on AutoCad, not TV. Will this be another whirlwind romance ending in a sudden abandonment after the honeymoon?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolmesRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:25:25 pm

Mark - People said the same thing about Apple when FCP X was released last summer. They said the same thing about Adobe when they abandoned the Mac platform in the mid-2000's.

Any company you go with has the potential to change direction at any time. Use the best tools that you can afford (and make money with) and don't put all your eggs in one NLE basket.

My $0.02

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.com
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:37:47 pm

That's easier for some to say and do than others. We're not a commercial venture like Walter. Our own reality is that our choices and the approvals to fund them, have to lead our anticipated needs by months and even years, and then we are locked into those choices for as many more years, good or bad.

We also have legacies to address and support with each new acqusition, so in our planning we always have to look over our shoulder as well as to the horizon. It is very rare we get the chance to suddenly veer off at 90 degrees from where we're going.

I don't live on the Bleeding Edge like Walter; rather, I have to wait and see if he comes back from scouting the frontier with bags of gold, or a backside full of arrows, before I can go forward. We can't afford to make mistakes so we wait and let others make them for us. Often, that means we miss out on a good thing for a while. But we take comfort in dodging the bullet somone else caught, as well. I'm like this in my personal life with my cars, too: I tend to buy used, proven models and run them for over ten years each.

So I watch these FCPX, Adobe, and Autodesk developments with great interest. But I'm not jumping to another platform willy-nilly. No matter how great. AutoDiscreet threw a huge wrench into our ops last time, for quite a while, so I'm going to be extra cautious before I recommend them again. Same as FCP. Adobe did leave the mac platform for a time, true, but it never got out of the editing game altogether. Apple is now a phone company. Autodesk's main customers are architects and builders. We are a sexy but niche market for those guys, today, and going forward. They both have things to prove to me, before I commit again.

The best I can do is work the hell out of what I've got, for as long as it makes sense to do so. Then see what else is next, and be sure it's going to stay around for the long haul.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

walter biscardiRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:58:31 pm

[Mark Suszko] "After getting burned by their orphaning of Edit* and Combustion, why should I trust Autodesk again, no matter how awesome the product? How long are they going to stand behind their product this time, is my question. They make all their money on AutoCad, not TV. Will this be another whirlwind romance ending in a sudden abandonment after the honeymoon?
"

You can't trust anyone today. You have to make the right decision for your interests. That's why as much as i would LOVE to have Adobe CS6 be our primary NLE toolset, it's just not there yet so we went with Avid. I have NEVER had Avid in any of my facilities because it was too expensive and they were too annoying to deal with.

Then last year I saw the change in the company first hand and it opened my eyes to change. They're not the same old Avid. And at $995 it's a complete no brainer to buy four Symphonies instead of the four Media Composers I was about to buy.

And now I'm not only changing software but I've spent the past two days hammering away at After Effects titles for our PBS series on a Dell Workstation. There's where the beauty of Adobe / Avid cross platform really shows its colors. I'm simply revising projects I created last year on the Mac, they open up, reconnect and away I go. Geez the thing is fast and it's not even a dual processor machine!

What Autodesk has done is nothing short of brilliant, which you'll see on Sunday. Whether you want to buy from them is your own personal choice. All of us have been burned. 11 years of time, effort and money spent building my entire business around Final Cut Pro and then Apple completely throws me for a loop. After the initial shock, I moved on and what we use today can still support the old projects from earlier.

So it's not just a case of "gee I want to buy the latest and greatest thing." It's a case of this tool can really REALLY help our workflow and it fits in nicely with everything we have going today and planned for the rest of this year into next.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:02:33 pm

[Mark Suszko] "After getting burned by their orphaning of Edit* and Combustion, why should I trust Autodesk again, no matter how awesome the product? How long are they going to stand behind their product this time, is my question. They make all their money on AutoCad, not TV. Will this be another whirlwind romance ending in a sudden abandonment after the honeymoon?"

I really regret never getting into Edit* or Combustion. It seems that everyone who used them still misses them, to this day. They must have been really amazing products to inspire this kind of loyalty.

Continuing that idea, Edit* and Combustion were very likely killed because they were a couple of affordable desktop tools that competed with -- and maybe threatened -- Autodesk's own higher-end (and higher-priced) products like Smoke and Flame.

I know that many people whom I trust themselves mistrust Autodesk because of this, but I do think that circumstances are very different now than they were 10 years ago.

Smoke and Flame aside, Autodesk makes serious money outside of AutoCAD with Media & Entertainment products like Maya and 3ds Max. Of course, any company may change direction at any time, but Autodesk has been pushing Smoke particularly hard for 2.5 years now, and I get the sense that they are very committed to their current product lineup.

At some point, you have to trust somebody -- even though no one has a perfect record. Autodesk killed Edit*, but Apple killed FCS, Avid threatened to leave the Mac platform, and Adobe actually did leave the Mac platform for a few versions.

Adobe, Apple, and Avid have now all played their hands in the NLE space. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Autodesk will offer on Sunday.

[Mark Suszko] "Our own reality is that our choices and the approvals to fund them, have to lead our anticipated needs by months and even years, and then we are locked into those choices for as many more years, good or bad... The best I can do is work the hell out of what I've got, for as long as it makes sense to do so. Then see what else is next, and be sure it's going to stay around for the long haul."

As for long-range planning, that's a tough problem that's getting tougher in our industry. I agree with Walter -- I think it will be a long time before we see a single NLE dominate the market again. I agree with Oliver Peters -- I think that the NLE market is fracturing, and I think that NLE vendors will specifically cater to their own developing niches.

That said, I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough to accurately predict the future, so I have to do my best to stay nimble instead.

If you're concerned that you'll be locked into your platform choice for years after purchase and are concerned that your needs may change, I'd think that prioritizing flexibility and openness may be worthwhile.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel -- the trends of lower licensing costs and more open and common video hardware are working in your favor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:48:35 pm

[Walter Soyka] "There is some light at the end of the tunnel -- the trends of lower licensing costs and more open and common video hardware are working in your favor."

To that end, you can read how we're thinking about saving a ton of money on our upgrades by going predominately iMac moving forward with just a few "Big Iron" systems for heavy lifing.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/11378/using-the-imac-to-replace-big-iron-...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:57:20 pm

[walter biscardi] "To that end, you can read how we're thinking about saving a ton of money on our upgrades by going predominately iMac moving forward with just a few "Big Iron" systems for heavy lifing.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/11378/using-the-imac-to-replace-big-iron-....."

As with many interesting blog posts, this post of yours has popped up for discussion on the FCPX or Not Debate forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/30867

There's some curiosity there about why you're considering iMacs and heavy iron PC workstations, but not a smaller, cheaper PC that might be more price competitive with the iMac.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 7:13:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I don't follow that forum so I had no idea, glad it's good food for thought!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 7:00:06 pm

[Mark Suszko] "After getting burned by their orphaning of Edit* and Combustion, why should I trust Autodesk again, no matter how awesome the product?"

Amen.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil HurwitzRe: "Smoke is Changing" is NOT a Marketing Slogan
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:37:40 pm

Walter,
Now you’ve got me intrigued,
I’ve followed you comments on the Editing game for years
And know your penchant for being a carful purchaser of equipment and software.
So if the price stays the same at roughly 15,000.00 and you’re going to be a buyer
Then I do expect to see some truly revolutionary changes and offerings.
I for one don’t see what things can be added or changed in Smoke to make you take a 13,000.00 per seat jump. I await some truly inspiring news.
However, I’ll take a few guesses and they aren’t about feature sets.
1. Drastically lowered cost for an individual seat
2. Facility based pricing not seat based pricing
3. Some sort of Cloud based software, where the program is not resident on any one computer
4. Some sort of Cloud based proxy editing where the proxies are hosted by Autodesk for free or a small fee

I also think that you’ve single handedly just changed a lot of peoples first stop at NAB.
Unfortunately other plans have interfered with my attending this year, So I look forward
to hearing the news you have alluded too. Please post as soon as you are allowed to.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardi@Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:53:57 pm

Neil, I will be able to talk after the event Sunday. I'm just extremely thankful to Autodesk giving me the opportunity to get a sneak peek. This has quickly become my favorite NAB ever and I'm not even there yet.

Symphony is $995

Adobe CS6 is here.

Autodesk Smoke is changing.

What a year!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: @Neil Hurwitz
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:01:33 pm

[walter biscardi] "Symphony is $995
Adobe CS6 is here.
Autodesk Smoke is changing."

And you know who made all this possible, although unwittingly? Apple. Now the 4th "A", right? Not even duking it out for second place?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard Cardonnasome inside news,(maybe)
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:02:05 pm

This is a response i got from a posting asking if smoke will be like the old

edit*+http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/159/857427

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]