Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

single video file for iPads, iPhones & iPods?

COW Forums : Apple iPad

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John Delaneysingle video file for iPads, iPhones & iPods?
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 2:13:45 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but despite all that I've read, the answer seems surprisingly elusive ... is there any one video file type/specs that'll play on most any video-capable iPad, iPhone and iPod?

I need to deliver video files to groups of people most of whom are particularly not very computer savvy, yet have all the latest toys. Because of the volume of files and numbers of people they're going to, I really need to make one set of files to suit all the iDevices since it just won't be possible to make a set of files for one guy, another set for the next guy, etc., etc., etc.

I guess what I'm looking for is the lowest common denominator iFile. If you could include specifics like bitrates, frame size, etc. in your answers, that would be most awesome. Thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff GreenbergRe: single video file for iPads, iPhones & iPods?
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:41:34 pm

If you have compressor, there's a preset for the iPod/iPhone at 640x480. That will work with the iPad.

There's also the iPad/iPhone4 preset (at 1280x72)) - but I don't have an older iPod touch/iphone to test it with.

If you don't have compressor, I'll copy/post screen shots of the settings.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DelaneyRe: single video file for iPads, iPhones & iPods?
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:56:44 am

Thanks, Jeff. I need to do it through Sorenson Squeeze for several reasons so suggestions for settings that'll work reliably for iPads and iPhones would be awesome (iPods too would be great, but can live without). By the way, the sources are all 1920x1080i HD and I'd prefer not to letterbox the iDevice files so I'm not sure 640x480 would work or what the frame size requirements are for iPads ... seems I'd use that size to get the best image on the iPads since iPhones obviously have smaller screens, right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:03:04 am

You're going to have to letterbox on the iPad. It's not 16x9. In fact...

iPhone 1, 3G, 3GS, iPod Touch 1–3
1st-3rd generations: 3:2 aspect ratio, 480×320 px

iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4
3:2 aspect ratio 960×640 px

iPad
4:3 aspect ratio, 1024 x 768.

And NONE of these are 16x9 - what your video is!
Somewhere, everywhere, you're going to end up with black bars, unless you specifically crop for that given iDevice.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: single video file for iPads, iPhones & iPods?
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:14:19 am

[Jeff Greenberg] "And NONE of these are 16x9 - what your video is!"

Not just iDevices - the native aspect of the MacBook Pro is 16:10. Assume nothing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:55:18 am

Ok, thanks both, Jeff and Tim. I've actually only ever seen an iPad in person once and didn't recall that it was 4x3 ... letterbox it is.

Other than PAR, any suggestions on file types and other settings to ensure compatibility with both the iPad and iPhones? I don't have either device myself so I need to make files that I know will work without being able to test.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:05:25 pm

If you're using Squeeze 6, there are decent presets there (and the ability to download newer ones)

If you're using Squeeze 5 and have to build your own, I'd build the ipad and let the rest of it filter down..

From here: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats. (No bitrate. figure 10 or so for 720p)
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:36:29 am

Thanks much, Jeff. I'm on Sorenson 6 and will have 7 in a few weeks (it was released yesterday) ... I know the presets for each individual device and know how to make good custom settings pretty well so my concern is just, being that I don't have access to any of the devices to test, whether using iPad settings might mean the files would be to heavy for iPhones and not work (in terms of bitrate, file size, etc). In other words, it seems there wouldn't be separate settings for each iDevice if they could all handle the highest common denominator.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]