Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Fw800 RAID

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Thomas Morter-LaingFw800 RAID
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 2:46:05 pm

Ok, so I recently bought a FireWire 800 Dual drive raid system (I've put the enclosure together, it came in bits from here: http://www.span.com/product_info.php?products_id=8081&source=gbaseuk¤....
There are two internal hard drives, both WD Caviar Green, 500GB. It's connected to my iMac via Fw800 directly, nothing else connected. It's set to a Striped array, Mac OS Journaled. When i have the drive on, it slows down startup noticeably. Occasionally it freezes finder. It also reacts oddly when I start disk utility, sometimes Disk Utility takes a LONG time to start working properly. Once it even said one of the partition slices was failing. When not striped, both drives pass Disk Utility's disk repair without any issue, I dont think anything is particularly wrong with the drives themselves. Does anyone know of ways to test this further/ is it normal activity with a FW80" Raid (never used one, might nutmeg be what to expect and I didn't know).
Basically, any ideas?
Cheers!

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Fw800 RAID
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 4:13:43 pm

The link you posted goes to a FW400 enclosure, not a FW800 enclosure.

Assuming that was just a mistaken link, I'll start by saying that striping two drives together is not rocket science, and setting to "striped array" is correct, so it should work. Have you tried simply using the erase feature in Disk Utility since striping the two drives together? If not, try it, then test again.

Meanwhile, just by looking at that enclosure I can tell you the following: a) it's comprised of the cheapest components available; b) it's a very old design, so it's been sitting on the shelf a long time; c) I think you got what you paid for.

However, that being said, software RAIDs are so simple that it should work without much tinkering, so if it continues to be problematic you know you most likely have received defective hardware. To verify, put one drive in at a time and format each separately as a single drive and test both channels (sides) of the enclosure with both drives alone. This should help you to isolate the problem.

Got the idea?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Fred JodryRe: Fw800 RAID
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:38:21 pm

Also since "one hard drive is failing" when there`s new hard drives, you may have a bad power supply plug on it or the power supply might be putting out the wrong voltages. Measure them. Unfortunately new hard drives can fail too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]