Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Raid 10 drive failure

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mike FaRaid 10 drive failure
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:39:57 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my RAID 10 setup. This build was my first time ever using RAID. I bought the hdd in August 2011. I bought 4 HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723015BLA642 (0F12114) 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives.

This morning I turned on the computer and had a S.M.A.R.T. warning on boot. When I booted the computer I had my The IntelĀ® Rapid Storage Technology application pop up with a warning sign on the first disc in my array. It doesn't offer any details when I click on Manage. Port: Unknown, Status: At risk Reset disk to normal, Type: Hard Disk, Usage: Array disk, Size: 0MB, Serial number: (has my serial), Model: (blank), Firmware: (blank).

Under advanced: Password protected: No, Disk date cache: Enabled, Native command queuing: No, SATA transfer rate: Inactive, Physical sector size: 512 Bytes, Logical sector size: 512 Bytes.

So now basically I need to know how to proceed. I thought in RAID you needed to have the exact same hard drives. The hard drive is no longer available for purchase. I heard Hitachi's are weird sizes so getting another brand with same specs may be an issue?

Can anyone help me out please?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: Raid 10 drive failure
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 11:50:09 pm

First test the disk non-destructively: put it in a different machine, see if it's recognized by the BIOS as far as capacity etc. The partition and the data on it will not be recognized of course. If you have a Z800, there is a BIOS option to run a non-destructive surface test on it.

If the drive is bad, not much you can do - replace the drive with the same type, choose "rebuild array".

If the drive seems to be OK, put it back in the original system, set to "Non-RAID" in IRST, reboot, see if it's recognized that way; if so, see if you can use it again to rebuild the array.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike FaRe: Raid 10 drive failure
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:05:30 am

I can't find the same drive to replace it with though. That hdd is no longer being sold. So what drive should I get?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:24:57 am

[Mike Fa] "I can't find the same drive to replace it with though. That hdd is no longer being sold. So what drive should I get?"

Any larger drive should do. Preferably from the same family though.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jun 28, 2012 at 12:52:12 pm

By the way - this is a self build. The motherboard I'm using is ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. Not sure if this makes a difference. I've never rebuild an array before. I'm assuming I would have to get a Hitachi 2tb drive instead of the 1.5 (since I can't find this drive anymore?) Once I get the drive would it be as simple as just plugging the drive in and the array will rebuild itself automatically? Or will I have to do something to start that process?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:31:28 am

[Mike Fa] "By the way - this is a self build. The motherboard I'm using is ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. Not sure if this makes a difference."

Probably not a huge one. What may matter to some degree, is the IRST firmware and application versions.

[Mike Fa] "I've never rebuild an array before. I'm assuming I would have to get a Hitachi 2tb drive instead of the 1.5 (since I can't find this drive anymore?) Once I get the drive would it be as simple as just plugging the drive in and the array will rebuild itself automatically? Or will I have to do something to start that process?"

You may have to designate the new drive as a spare first, in the IRST application. From there, the array should start re-building. It's fairly straightforward.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 17, 2012 at 2:28:13 pm

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I just got the new replacement drive. I ctrl-i at boot and it immediately recognized the disc and asked if I wanted to use this as the rebuild drive. I selected yes - and got a message that the rebuild process has to be completed in windows. I boot up open up the IRST application and it sees my drive as part of the array but it doesn't give me the option to rebuild. It is also still showing my old drive as missing. Can you point me in the right direction of what I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:06:26 pm

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:14:25 pm

There's something wrong with that picture. :( The drives shouldn't be 0GB no matter what. I don't think I've ever seen something like this...

You are saying, in IRST PROM (Ctrl-I on boot), the drives all show up healthy with capacities reported correctly?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2012 at 12:00:54 pm

I knew something had to be wrong everything I was googling didn't seem to match what I was looking at. Everything appears correct at boot and everything seems to function properly inside windows. I can access all my files no problem.

One thing to note is late yesterday the old drive that was missing disappeared from the list in windows IRST. Everything still reads 0GB though on both arrays.

Another thing that is concerning is when I run the system report in IRST it says my array = 5.5TB. This is Raid 10 with 4 drives 1.5TB. And it shows my other array to be 596GB when that is Raid 0 with 2 drives 300GB. All the individual discs in the report show 0 but the 2 array groups show the full capacity if you added up each individual drives capacity.

Hopefully this doesn't cause any errors.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]