Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

2 System Raid Setup Reccomendation

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chad Briggs2 System Raid Setup Reccomendation
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:36:31 am

Hi Everyone! Currently I have a dual boot/bootcamp Mac that is connected to an old Ciprico Raid, that were using with a Kona3G card that works fine on both OS'es. For a variety of reasons I want to buy a separate PC box and reformat the mac box to be mac only. The problem is, I have no easy way to connect the two systems to the same raid in the configuration/hardware it's in now (ciprico went out of business).
I have 8 drives totalling 4 terabytes that are still perfectly fine and speedy, so I'd like to find a different chassis that I can put them in (that still holds up to 2 streams of 1080 60p playback) in an attempt to hopefully save a little cash so I don't have to purchase a brand new case AND drives. Does anyone have any recommendations for something that would fit the bill?
(One last note, it's highly unlikely i'd use both systems to hit the raid at the same time, it would be one machine or the other)
thanks!
Chad

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: 2 System Raid Setup Reccomendation
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:51:10 pm

Hi -
You need one computer to be a dedicated server for your two client workstations. The cheap way out is to use your existing computer as the server (it must be running OS X Snow Leopard, and be a Mac Pro, not a G5), and buy an iMAC as another editing workstation. You will get wonderful performance from the iMAC as a workstation.

I don't remember what Ciprico (HUGE Systems) used as a host controller card - and I don't know if you have a SCSI or SATA array.
There are no more SCSI arrays. So try to use your box as is. If you have an older SCSI card, you can probably get an ATTO UL5D for a new Mac Pro to use as a server if you want.

BUT unless you want to do "push pull" with your files, you will never be able to get both workstations to play back HD video without having a server. HUGE (Ciprico) could not do this back then, and you can't do it today.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]