Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

External RAID 5 recommendations

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Joe FerralliExternal RAID 5 recommendations
by on Nov 2, 2011 at 1:22:04 pm

I've just about had it with one of our RAID systems. It's an Enhance Technologies S8MS rackmount SAS RAID. It's worked perfectly for the last 3 years and now it's eating drives. Just came back from service and it just failed again. The service guys there said they tested it and it passed after the replaced the backplane. It has all new drives in it also. We've got 2 others and they run fine (they do eat a drive every couple of months though). Anyway, what are you guys using? Can you recommend any other system? On all 3 of our systems we're using RocketRaid 3522 cards and I'd like to not have to buy another controller. I've had it ...waiting 8 hours to rebuild the array every couple of days. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Bob ZelinRe: External RAID 5 recommendations
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:31:17 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/627553-REG/PROAVIO_S8_MS_Studiorack_S...

$727 - brand new.
The non rack mount version is just over $500

Most good companies will not sell you an empty chassis. The other exception is Stardom. But Maxx Digital, Dulce, Cal Digit, Sonnet, Small Tree, G-Tech, etc. will NOT sell you an empty chassis.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon BlackledgeRe: External RAID 5 recommendations
by on Nov 5, 2011 at 12:24:50 pm

Change your HBA ATTO R380 or R680 if you get a 6gig chassis.

Enhance and proavio are the same. We run the 4MS and 8MS's and they don't eat drives.

We also run 2x 4MS of a highpoint card with no issues.

When you say failed.. in what way? I've had one just die then on boot it will just shutdown the second the mac access's it.

When you say eating drives.. you mean your looking at the logs and seeing lots of bad block? Or the drives are dying?

What drives are you using ?

I'm lost because apart from the backplane there's pretty much sod all to these boxes
And if your running new disks... where did you get them from ? and same batch as all the others that died ?

they should NOT be eating drives every couple of months.

s

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]