Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

monitor?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Enny Pizymonitor?
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:02:29 am

Hi guys i am novice to anything video related so i am here to ask some questions about some of the monitors. I been doing so much research that my head is speeding. I am looking for a monitor that will give me good color for color correction, i am not looking for 100% accuracy just something that will get me close to good color. I am mostly doing personal short film projects with canon 60d. Monitors i was looking at are NEC professional graphic monitors that are around 500 and 1000 like The nEC P241W 24, Asus PA246Q, 24.1" Widescreen P-IPS Professional Monitor, and Sony_LMD_2110W i am thinking going with Asus and Datacolor Spyder4PRO for my setup or should i go with nEC P241W and spider pro.

Thanks guys

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: monitor?
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:11:18 pm

The only advice I can give you is not to stress out over this, my belief is that most ANY relatively new monitor will work out fine. I wouldn't spend a heck of a lot of money on monitors any more. If your stuff is going to be primarily shown on the Web remember too that while you can be very particular about the color setup of your monitors that 90% or more of your online viewers will not have any idea or concern for the color balance of THEIR monitors which will ultimately have a very large say in how your image looks to THEM.

If you are working on material for broadcast then you need to make sure that your colors stay within the "legal" boundaries but you can make those adjustments, like I said, with just about any monitor out there.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Enny PizyRe: monitor?
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 5:52:25 pm

i have LG flatron w2442pa so i should not waste my money on any of those monitors since i will be the only one seeing so called proper colors. Should i at least get spider pro and celebrate my flatron or just stay away. My main goal is to make a demo at the end of all this and thinking that i should have some what proper colors.

thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: monitor?
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:18:59 pm

Hi Enny,

I think where the Spider color calibrator becomes useful is when you need to print things out to paper and you want the colors on your screen and what is printed to look as close as possible. Go ahead and buy it if for your video if it makes you feel more comfortable. Would I? Probably not for a video.

What are proper colors anyways? I see so many shows on TV these days that purposely have a strong green tint and skin tones look orange. It's weird. But in color grading you can make things look anyway you want - it's a creative choice, not really a technical one unless you are talking about broadcast and you've exceeded the allowable color levels.

Remember too, this is all just my opinion and I am sure there are lots of people who would think I'm crazy for suggesting this but I'd rather have you invest your money in something like better lenses, lights, tripods, sound gear etc etc etc - that stuff WILL make a big difference to everyone who sees your video

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: monitor?
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:29:27 pm

I am going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with Steve. Even though your end result may be internet only, that doesn't mean that properly configured monitor won't do you any good.

I look at it this way. If my monitor is not set up properly, lets say it has a slight green tint to it, and then I set my project up to that monitor. Then the absolute best that anyone in the entire world will see my project is with an ugly green tint. It will look bad for everyone. However, if you have a calibrated monitor, then for people with good monitors (and internet TVs) the project will look good and for people with bad monitors, the project will look bad.

The line that I draw, since most of the stuff that I do is for internet only distribution as well, is that I don't need a $5000 Flanders Scientific monitor, but maybe a $500 Dell U2410 IPS panel is a good investment.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WrightRe: monitor?
by on Nov 3, 2012 at 12:31:13 am

if you have a limited budget, this post may be interesting to you:

"the reason pro monitors are so expensive is because they have to be extra high end to keep up with the obsolete CRT monitors in terms of colors, dynamic range, black levels, etc. Remember when lcd's didn't handle black very well because it took a while for the leds to dim? Get yourself a CRT on ebay equal to a pro $5,000 monitor for like, maybe $50. Use quickgamma free gamma calibrator software or something similar.
IF you use continuous color management in your workflow, you'll still be lightyears ahead of people that spend thousands of wasted dollars on quicktime gamma issues."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 3, 2012 at 12:53:07 pm

Chris i like your idea can you recommend any CRT monitors for me and they do come in hd 1080p but would i need some kind of card like Intensity Pro to connect crt to mac

thanks guys

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 3, 2012 at 2:08:03 pm

And by CRT monitor you mean broadcast crt monitor or those old crt computer monitors.

thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

charles meadowsRe: monitor?
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:14:02 pm

I'm going to go with John on this. The Dell is excellent and the colour difference between our Dell monitors and our Samsungs is massive. If you're grading for broadcast then go Dell. If you're grading just for youtube then use anything you like.

"There's no point in filming in you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 16, 2012 at 7:06:37 am

I am thinking dell Dell U2410 instead of asus since asus has few problems reported and their customer service is bad abut what do you guys think about 6 year old EIZO CE240W 24 inch you do you think its worth it?

thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]