Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

what lens?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Suley Sulemanwhat lens?
by on May 19, 2012 at 7:03:22 pm

Hi Guys, im kind of stuck and confused dot com on what lens i should get. Basically i use DSLR (Canon 550D) to shoot interviews and take pics at events. At the min i use a 18-55mm lens for pics and a 50mm lens for interviews. This has worked well but over the next few weeks we will be attending concerts more and gigs to shoot pics and video. With the gigs its not too bad as we have arrangements in place to be placed at the front etc so lighting is always good etc and so is the focal length. Its more concerts i think we have an issue with at the min. Since we would be sat in the media section its not always the closest. An example is here http://i47.tinypic.com/spvfaa.jpg

I was wondering now what lens i should get that would be good for zoom and possibly some video from a distance.

I was looking around and came up with a few options, im kind of looking as cheap as possible but at the same time dont mind paying more if its better in the long terms.

- tamron lens 55-200mm A15 - NO IS but would do zoom well can get one for £60 inc delivery second hand or can get the Sigma at a similar focal or from 18-200 for around the same price

or

- Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Lens (Canon AF) - NO IS would not need the 18-55 canon lens anymore would cost £170. brand new

- Canon EF 28 - 135 mm IS USM F/3.5-5.6 - HAS IS and USM if im right this would be a wide angle lens not sure if suitable for interviews where performer only only screen and no host. Is more then i would like to spend also but am considering if worth while, seems to be around £200-230 on aution (whats intresting is trade shops buy for £140 in and sell £230)

- Canon EF 18-135 IS - HAS IS once again similar to the one above and price would be around same for second hand. once again price thing

Apreciate all your help and advise

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: what lens?
by on May 19, 2012 at 7:53:04 pm

I don't think there is much good news for you.

Based upon the image you provided, you would be quite a long ways away from the stage which means you definitely need a zoom. Also, of course you are going to be at an angle to the stage. It also means you are going to need a:

1) tripod or monopod to stabilize your camera and help eliminate jitters

2) IS or some brands call it OS for optical stabilization I believe. With a zoom every tiny movement your hand makes to disturb the lens is magnified

3) A Looong focal length - maybe someone else can give you an estimate on the length needed based upon your picture

4) Lens with the ability to shoot at a very open/fast aperture - say something like a 2.0 - WHILE at the long end of your focal length, say 500-800mmm

Now I don't have a clue what focal length you need, I understand you can buy cheap "lens extenders" that give your lens more reach but at the cost of light loss and maybe even some softening of the image.

What it all comes down to, and I'm sorry I haven't gotten to the point until now, is that the lens you need is going to be very expensive. I don't see any likelyhood of you finding a cheap alternative that is going to work for you. Not every shot is possible with the equipment you have, I don't have any long lenses at all so I can't do wildlife videography with my T2i but since I typically only interviews humans in the same room with me, I'm able to live with it, ha ha! :-)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Suley SulemanRe: what lens?
by on May 19, 2012 at 10:10:44 pm

Thanks Steve I really appreciate your reply. Has given me something to think about. Thinking I will order a monopod. Im thinking we are going to need to get a better seat closer to stage for events as otherwise would be too far away. I'm thinking are any of them lens any good and which would you get for a short zoom? In thinking split lens ie 55-200 as have 18-55 already or 18-135? What would you suggest

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on May 19, 2012 at 10:22:21 pm

Thanks was looking at hiring how much do they usually cost to hire? Just looking for somewhere local. Here is a comparison of the lens http://lenshero.com/comparison/Tamron-55-200mm-f4-5.6-Di-II-LD-Canon-ef-vs-...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 19, 2012 at 10:31:33 pm

If I read the article correctly, the Canon has IS and the Tamron doesn't so for that reason I'd go for the Canon myself. On a T2i you are going to get an automatic 1.6 magnification on the lens so that will help you out. A 5.6 f-stop is very much on the slow side so that means you probably are not going to get much shallow depth of field action in your shots but on the other hand it will help keep things in focus which could be a plus with rock musicians bouncing all over the stage, ha ha!

Better check with the concert hall if they allow tripods or monopods in the regular seating, they may not.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 19, 2012 at 10:20:58 pm

Well the 18-55mm is not really a great lens as you already know. What are the apertures for the 55-200 and the 18-135 - what you ideally want is a lens with a constant aperture so that the lens doesn't darken as you zoom in, something in the 2.4 area would be great but again, expensive. Look into renting

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2012 at 9:40:10 am

Thanks Tamron -55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di-II LD Canon-ef and Canon is
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS more info at http://lenshero.com/comparison/Tamron-55-200mm-f4-5.6-Di-II-LD-Canon-ef-vs-...

i was just doing some googling and noticed a batch of Canon EF-S 55 mm - 250 mm F/4.0-5.6 II IS Lens going for £90 thinking any good? as oppose to the 55-200 tamron and sigma does have IS on them for an extra £30 in essence.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: what lens?
by on May 21, 2012 at 5:55:44 pm

I would be wary of any lens that does not have constant aperture. Remember on that Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6, you will be at f 5.6 on the long end (zoomed all the way in), which is where I would assume most of your shots would happen, unless you can't get really close to the stage.

1) look into renting lenses for special situations like this. A Canon 70-200L can be good for these situations.

2)Unless you have a gigantic (in size and price) lens and if you plan on getting anything close to a close up or even a medium shot, you are going to need to be much closer to the stage. Otherwise you are looking at a gigantic lens (in size and price) Picture sports photographers on the sidelines of a professional football game, and that is what you would need.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]