Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

DSLR EVF - Swivl 5.6" LCD vs Zacuto EVF or SmallHD DP4?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Aj KochDSLR EVF - Swivl 5.6" LCD vs Zacuto EVF or SmallHD DP4?
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:01:13 pm

I need to buy an external monitor with peak focusing for my Canon 5D Mark II. I've used the Zacuto EVF and I liked it, but it was a little small. The DP4 looks very similar to the Zacuto and you get a lot more accessories for the money.

Swivl has a newer 5.6" LCD screen for about half the price of both the former.

http://www.swiviusa.com/

Does anyone have any pros/cons or preferences in terms of function/quality when working with any of these external monitors?

Thanks.

-Aj

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Montica PesRe: DSLR EVF - Swivl 5.6" LCD vs Zacuto EVF or SmallHD DP4?
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 2:51:29 pm

Hi--Just got the dp4 with evf and the whole bundle. I really like the monitor and evf, though I have never tried the Zacuto beyond the Zfinder. The dp4 also has 1:1 mapping, which I don't think Zacuto is offering. There are some really great head to head reviews on the web on these two products.

My problem is with the positioning of the evf using an articulating arm or the ball flash mount--I can't keep the damn thing locked down on the 360 degree axis on the ball heads. Really, really annoying. Anyone got any ideas on this? Is this just the way these things work, or when I lock it down, should they all lock down?

Thanks. I hope you go with Small HD--just think these guys are lovely, small company with a great product. Great customer service. Dave, the guy who always answers my inane questions, has been really great.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aj KochRe: DSLR EVF - Swivl 5.6" LCD vs Zacuto EVF or SmallHD DP4?
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 5:00:32 pm

Hi Montica!

Thanks a ton for the information! As far as my research goes, it appears the DP4 and the Zacuto EVF are pretty much the same product, with the DP4 being more bang for the buck.

It concerns me about the ball flash mount though... the one on the Zacuto I used locked down just fine. Are you using SmallHD's ball flash mount?

I'm still trying to determine if the Swivl 5.6" screen would be any better because of the size - at half the price - but it locks into the side of the DSLR and may or may not cover inputs. Plus, overall quality and features are probably trimmed down. I can't seem to find any head to head reviews online... where are you looking?

Thanks again for the reply!

-Aj

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]