Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jeff LesterI'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:18:54 pm

Having super raw video (as in the camera only records the image and does not add ANY color effects to it at all) is extremely beneficial when editing color and effects. Why do only professional cam-corders and professional film cameras (i.e. Arri Alexa, Panavision, etc.) have an option to shoot totally, 100% raw videos with no processing done to the image? I mean I have to hack my GH2 in order to get a raw-er image because the camera does not normally have that option. Even the new $3500 5D Mk III can't shoot totally raw. WUT UP WITH DAT YO. Haha.

Is it because shooting raw takes up too much card space or what? I just want to be able to shoot raw without buying a $25,000 RED Scarlet/EPIC/One/whatever. What's your take on it?

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 1:37:05 am

"..Why do only professional cam-corders and professional film cameras (i.e. Arri Alexa, Panavision, etc.) have an option to shoot totally, 100% raw videos ...?"

Because that would be just too awesome!!

I think storage does play a role, perhaps bit rate and card speeds too but most of all I think it is seen as a premium feature that they want to reserve for their most expensive cameras as a purchasing incentive. It's a bit cynical of me but I think it's just a fact that manufacturers often "hold back" certain features so that they can construct an entire line of products and to give the buyer an incentive to spend a little more money on the next model up (or sometimes a LOT of money)...and some of the decisions as to what feature goes into what model seems pretty arbitrary, in other words not related to a technical or cost consideration but to a business/marketing decision.

For instance, the entry level Canon T2i COULD from an engineering point of view could have more of the features of the 5D MII and MIII but instead they have the 7D which gives you a taste, a little bit more but if you want, say full frame, hey that's going to take you up to at least the 5D level or now the C300 or their newly announced cameras.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Morten RaarupRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 6:34:28 pm

A normal raw filae are about 20 MB you need 24-30 a sec. that 480-600 MB per sec or 1,7 - 2,1 TB per hour.

Morten Raarup
On Off Line
Copenhagen, Denmark

Sony F3 whit Angenieux Optimo DP 16-42 & 30-80
Canon 5D kit whit Sounddevice 702T
AVID MC 5.5
FCP 7 & X
DaVinci Resolve 8
Pro Tools 9

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 7:07:02 pm

Hmmm, my math came out much different, check me:

TIME 1080p RAW (24 fps)

per sec 5.25MB 480MB
per minute 315MB 28.8TB
one hour 18.90TB 1.73Pedabytes

(sorry the forum software messed up the alignment, imagine 3 columns)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff LesterRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:21:31 pm

Wait so 5.25MB per second? That's 315MB/minute and 18.9GB per hour. If that's the case, a basic Sandisk Extreme class 10 32GB SDHC card could handle almost 2 hours of 1080p raw footage right? Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong. I may have not understood your post :D

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 15, 2012 at 12:57:09 am

Yes that's right, I just took a look at one of my 1080p 24fps H.264 cameras right out of the camera and that's what it came to. I use class 6 or 7 cards and they work fine for H264 but not sure they can handle RAW, probably couldn't.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeff LesterRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:52:13 am

Yeah. I think the really nice CF cards that read/write at like 90 MB/s could handle it. I hope they could at least haha

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Morten RaarupRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:01:12 pm

sorry but that isn't rigth. Raw is the clean data of the sensor. That is somethin between 12 an 22 MB depending of the camera. That is per frame and you need 24-30 per sec.Remember that dlsr have bigger sensors pixelvice that Alexa and the sensor are 14 bit not 8 or 10 bit. That has nothing to do whit h264 or cleen 8 bit 422.

Morten Raarup
On Off Line
Copenhagen, Denmark

Sony F3 whit Angenieux Optimo DP 16-42 & 30-80
Canon 5D kit whit Sounddevice 702T
AVID MC 5.5
FCP 7 & X
DaVinci Resolve 8
Pro Tools 9

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:17:58 pm

Well, I'll just connect an Avid Isis 5000 to my DSLR LOL. Good point. Damn.

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:21:23 pm

Yeah, i totally agree. I mean, the new 4K DSLR Canon just announced could probably be under $10k. I mean, it basically is a 1D with a 4K capable sensor and a few other features, and the 1D is also very overpriced. Apple makes $250 per iPad, and Redrock Micro sells their follow focuses for $900, while they probably cost no more than $50 to produce. Some companies make a butt load of money on their products, and Redrock is probably the king of them all.

I think if Canon sold the GH2, it would not sell for $600, but it would be like $1200 or $1500 (somewhere in the price range of the 7D) because Canon is sort of the "Mercedes" of te DSLR world I guess you could say.

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:16:31 pm

Today's announcement by BlackMagic on their new cinema cam shows the way forward...here are a few details of this $2,995 camera

Raw recording.

2.5k - I don't know what size sensor this means...is this full frame or APS-C or...?

13 stops dynamic range

Integrated SSD to record Cinema DNG Raw, ProRes and DNxHD

EF and ZF mount lenses (ZF? I thought that was the Zeiss Nikons?)

SDI and Thunderbolt (!)

Integrated touch screen LCD

Free full copy of DaVinci Resolve

It doesn’t say the actual size of the sensor. I would guess Super 35mm

$2995! Shipping in July.

More Details from http://philipbloom.net/2012/04/16/blackmagic/

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 18, 2012 at 12:58:11 am

That's so awesome man. If I had $3k I'd buy it, but I just spent $2k on a GH2 setup haha. I will really look into that though. That's amazing!

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]