Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

need direction deciding on a DSLR purchase

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Shane Trowbridgeneed direction deciding on a DSLR purchase
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:05:04 pm

The company I work for shoots traditional HD video on a Panasonic HXV200. We are wanting to make the switch to DSLR. I think it would give our projects a more dynamic look. I'd love to have more dynamic depth of field control with interviews, BROLL, etc. We don't have a ton of money and I realize I'm going to need to buy lenses, some kind of rig, cards, etc. I've done some initial research and it seems like these would be the best options: 60D or maybe the Nikon D800. I haven't done a ton of research but they come recommended by other DSLR shooters.

I know the 7D or 5D mk3 are probably the better way to go, I'm just not sure they are going to be as affordable with accessories.

Can I get a little wisdom from people who have made these decisions. Most of our delivery is web based if that makes a difference. I am also shooting on FCPX

Thanks!

Shane Trowbridge

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: need direction deciding on a DSLR purchase
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 11:51:15 pm

[Shane Trowbridge] "
Can I get a little wisdom from people who have made these decisions. Most of our delivery is web based if that makes a difference. I am also shooting on FCPX"

You sound like the perfect candidates for the Panasonic GH2. I shoot interviews with mine using inexpensive vintage Nikon lenses. You will need some accessories to make it work well for interviews --such as; a SmallHD DP6 and a JuicedLink DT454 XLR box. I edit on FCPX as well with no transcoding of the AVCHD files. Some of the benefits of the GH2: No record time limit, no overheating, no moire, onscreen histogram, onscreen audio meters, articulated LCD, usable with a wide variety of lenses... and the list goes on.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: need direction deciding on a DSLR purchase
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:56:45 pm

The cost of needed accessories is going to be pretty much the same no matter what DSLR you select so I would suggest the Canon 7D or if that is too expensive you can go for the Canon T2i or T3i - the T2i is only $650 with kit lens and has basically the same video performance as the Canon 7D.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike DrewRe: need direction deciding on a DSLR purchase
by on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:41:14 am

I don't usually chime in on these things but I just have to sing the virtues of the Canon 60D. I've had mine since they first came out and have beaten it to a pulp using it on a daily basis as a newspaper photographer and videographer. They are far tougher than anyone gives them credit for.
They feature manual audio settings - which the 7D doesn't have - so audio direct from the camera has none of that auto-gain hiss and since they share the same sensor with their siblings, 5D excepted, the files from the 60D are identical to the T2i, T3i and 7D. ISO 3200 is no problem in stills and shooting news video at ISO 2000 is more than useable.
The GH2 is an undeniably great camera but wide-angle lenses are tough to come by unless you try to adapt other makers' glass. I shoot the 60D almost exclusively with a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 and rarely have to use anything else. In addition, there's a free - or by donation - Magic Lantern hack for the 60D that gives you on-screen audio levels and a built-in intervalometer.
And all this for around $900 Canadian. An absolute bargain.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]