Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Using Canon EF lenses on an EF-S Camera?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Caleb TrevattUsing Canon EF lenses on an EF-S Camera?
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:00:34 am

Hey Guys, probably a dumb question, nonetheless,
I'm seriously considering buying myself an EF 50mm 1.4 lens for a Canon 60 D and I read up somewhere that although they're compatible, the focal length will instead be 85mm.

I'm not to happy about that. No lens I've found has received as much praise for it's bokeh and low-light at such a low price.

So here come the questions.

Are there any brilliant lenses that'll rival this one for a couple hundred dollars difference?

Are there any EF - EF-S adapters I can use to bring the focal length back to fifty?

Please post any advice you may have, as I'm planning on buying these very soon for a project.

Thanks,

-- Caleb

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: Using Canon EF lenses on an EF-S Camera?
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:53:10 pm

[Caleb Trevatt] "Are there any EF - EF-S adapters I can use to bring the focal length back to fifty?"

No. This is due to the physics of the lens and the physical size of the sensor on the 60D. You can't change physics, and you especially can't change physics for a couple hundred bucks.

[Caleb Trevatt] "Are there any brilliant lenses that'll rival this one for a couple hundred dollars difference?"

Well, the answer is no, kind of. If you are looking for a "brilliant" EF-S lens, you won't find it. EF-S lenses are just lesser quality than EF lenses and even more inferior when compared to L lenses.

But why not get a 28mm lens? On your cropped sensor it will have about a 45mm focal length and if in the future you move up to a full frame camera, you can still use the glass. And there are a lot of great quality used lenses out there. Still photography has been using these lenses for a long time, so there are a lot out there and they are fairly inexpensive.

John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Caleb TrevattRe: Using Canon EF lenses on an EF-S Camera?
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:24:16 pm

[John Young] "No. This is due to the physics of the lens and the physical size of the sensor on the 60D."

Ahhh, I though it was due to the proximity between the lens. Thanks.
I actually ended up getting a Sigma 30mm 1.4, closest thing I could find and just a little pricier.

L lenses though, are they really worth getting?

Thanks heaps for your help,

-- Caleb

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: Using Canon EF lenses on an EF-S Camera?
by on Mar 1, 2012 at 3:24:53 pm

[Caleb Trevatt] "L lenses though, are they really worth getting?"
Yes. They are very good and if you have the money, they are worth the investment. The thing to think about when investing in lenses is that, we are kind of at a point where the camera technology is moving at a faster and faster pace, but you still need high quality lenses no matter what camera body you are attaching them too. I have taken the view to invest in lenses that will last. I have a Canon 7D (cropped sensor) and (almost) all my lenses are not made for cropped sensors. So that when cameras change and I move up to a full frame camera, my lenses will be ready to go and I won't have to purchase all new lenses.

Also, don't forget about renting lenses. This is a great way to get L lenses, or other high quality glass for short time, and a small price. Your local photography store or http://www.borrowlenses.com/ is a good place to start.

John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Caleb TrevattRe: Using Canon EF lenses on an EF-S Camera?
by on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:39:30 pm

Awesome, I never thought about renting lenses.
Thanks,

-- Caleb

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]