Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

DSLR slider

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Luke HaleDSLR slider
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:50:49 pm

Hey I'm looking for a slider that is less than 500 bucks. I really want it on a track at least 3", any recommendations?

Luke Hale
Producer/Editor BYU-I and Department of Energy
opticalsmarts.com (Just for fun)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin McQuillanRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:58:12 pm

3" (inches) is not much track! Perhaps 3' (feet) is more what you are after? ;-)

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:23:35 pm

Although they are both slightly more than the $500 you want to spend, FWIW I own a Kessler pocket dolly and have used a Cinevate slider, and between the two I kind of wish I had the Cinevate. I find the teeth of the band in the Kessler translates vibration through to the lens. It can be very annoying as you pay more for the crank/band and I ended up removing it to make the slider usable for the type of production I do.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 1:01:45 am

[Colin McQuillan] " Although they are both slightly more than the $500 you want to spend, FWIW I own a Kessler pocket dolly and have used a Cinevate slider, and between the two I kind of wish I had the Cinevate. I find the teeth of the band in the Kessler translates vibration through to the lens. It can be very annoying as you pay more for the crank/band and I ended up removing it to make the slider usable for the type of production I do."

Thanks for that comparison, Colin. I've never heard that about the Kessler before.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 12, 2011 at 4:28:15 am

Other than that the Kessler is solid. It's build quality is excellent and slides like a dream when the belt isn't bouncing around. I did like the resistance the crank and belt provide, but the cost of vibration through to the lens to me is unacceptable.
Before I removed the band I would have to hold the edge of my matte-box or somewhere else on my camera rig to absorb the vibration.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:57:24 pm

Check out the Konova Sliders, here's one that's very popular and in your price range:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YA24WO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m...

I believe they do have at least one model that is 3 feet or longer but may be a tad over your price preference. Check out the Konova reviews by CheesyCam/OliviaTech

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil BalsdonRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 8:04:13 am

I'm using the Konova. It's very sturdy and runs on bearings, so very smooth but very "free wheeling". Build is good quality and simple design that's easy to set up.

Comes with a good compact soft case, adjustment tools kit, and feet. I ordered side slide mounts which enable it to be mounted on an angle between lighting stands. Very happy with it.

As I'm in Australia I ordered it direct from Korea, (Amazon won't deliver some items to Australia) it arrived 4 days after ordering and freight was included in the price.

http://konovaphoto.com/best-selling/k-3080.html

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:36:09 pm

I would stay shorter than 3' unless you have a really beefy tripod.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul KagawaRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 10:24:36 pm

Check out the Cinemover, garage-built by JG Pasterjak out of skate wheels and all-thread rods and available for under $89.

http://moveyourcameracheap.blogspot.com/

You provide your own track which can be any smooth solid length of material around 2x6 inches.

He'll even show you how to make your own, but for the price he's charging you might as well buy his. His videos are hilarious too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Danny GrizzleRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 7:21:09 pm

I bought a Cinemover as a result of this post. Accumulating quite a collection of sliders at this point.

The Cinemover strikes me as more like a Kessler Shuttle Pod than a slider. But some aspects of the Cinemover, I like better. Price can't be beat, and using a piece of dimensional lumber for track is a lot less expensive than paying $100 per linear foot of Shuttle Pod track (allowing for rails and legs on 12' run).

Some aspects of Cinemover using a board for track are even better than the Shuttle Pod, because a board can be cantilevered over water or heights without supporting one end.

Since I am a huge fan of Kessler gear and already own a bunch of stuff including an Oracle controller and some motors, I'm going to order a Shuttle Pod motor adapter kit and see if I can't rig it to the Cinemover. I was planning to buy a Shuttle Pod anyway next spring, so why not?

Thanks for the tip!

BTW - I bought a Cinemover LE, "Limited Edition." It is a prototype design with upgraded bearings, machined knurled knobs replacing wingnuts, and extension rods to allow spanning much wider tracks. The major cosmetic difference is white wheels and rail parts. The LE is limited to 20 units only, first come first served. It bumps the cost up only about $10.

Got a notice late Wednesday night before Thanksgiving the product had shipped via US Post Office. I should have it in hand early next week.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jorden MosleyRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 13, 2011 at 3:41:13 am

A couple of sliders I know of are the indiSLIDERmini which can range from 100-170.00

or

The motion slider which comes in 24in (130.00) or 36in (160.00).

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam DuplayRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:54:26 pm

Why not just buy a dolly for that price?

Adam Duplay

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed CilleyRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:03:41 am

Depending on how your camera is configured, some sliders may not move smoothly. We shot with a 5D, 70-200mm, matte box and a Marshall monitor. Besides balancing front to back, we also had to balance side-to-side to make sure it would slide smoothly. On some models (like the GlideTrack or iGus do-it-yourself variety) they can tend to bind if using more than just the camera. - At least in our experience. -

We used the Kessler Cineslider http://www.kesslercrane.com/dolly-sliders-s/49.htm and it worked wonderfully.

Ed

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trip ShafferRe: DSLR slider
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:02:33 am

The Konova slider is a nice little slider, but I find working in Asia, with the humidity, the rails seem to get rough pretty quickly and leave lots of marks. Not sure if its just me, but I dont really dig the bearings.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ColeRe: DSLR slider
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:01:54 pm

I just found this thread. I recently posted a query on the forum asking for updates on recent sliders, but have received no replies.

On the off-chance that one of the folks in this thread gets this post, I just wanted to ask whether your experiences with the various products that you mentioned have changed, or solidified, your evaluations.

The remark about the Kessler's belt got my attention. Is that still true? I would like to use this slider in conjunction with a motion control motor for timelapse - so smoothness is especially critical. I don't care as much about the price - I just want a slider that works "in the field" - which doesn't become bumpy due to tiny bits of dirt or grease - and which is solid enough not to be affected by a little breeze.

Thanks very much.

Bob C

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve CrowRe: DSLR slider
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:22:03 pm

I think the Konova is still a good basic slider and I do believe now that they have a motion controller to go with it but it's not a high end company and if you are not concerned about money, I think you should really be checking out sites by folks like Phillip Bloom, Vincent LaForet, maybe Dave Dugdale, DSLR News Shooter.com etc to see what the pros are using and what they now recommend

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]