Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

7D repeated Card error- lost footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sean Winn7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on May 26, 2011 at 8:49:37 pm

Thanks for any assistance as I'm losing footage consistantly now shot on my 7D after receiving the error: Error 02: Card can not be accessed. Reinsert/change or format card with camera.

I purchased my 7D in late February of this year. It's current firmware is 1.2.3.

I also purchased 4 Delkin 16gb CF cards UDMA 6 @ 66mb/s & 450x from B&H. Thought these would be fast cards and ok as coming from B&H.

Google searches have yielded nothing particularly helpful or definitive as to whether it's a card or camera issue. I also scoured this forum for similar problems posted and found this entry from March in a thread:

Re: 7d Corrupt File Issues
by Jon Rose on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:12:11 am
Hey Guys,
Good news, Canon 7D Fimeware 1.2.5 is here with the following fixes:
Firmware Version 1.2.5 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

Just wanted to post about the cards I was using in the event they might be the problem. Does anyone know if this is a camera issue? Card? Firmware?

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Errol LazareRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on May 26, 2011 at 9:24:23 pm

Just to clarify have you shot footage already and cannot access it on the camera or do you receive an error when hitting the record button.
Have you tried putting the card into a CF card reader into your computer? You can see if your computer recognizes it

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean WinnRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on May 26, 2011 at 9:27:45 pm

Thanks for chiming in Errol. What happens is, the camera freezes up, then the error message appears, and the clip you just shot simply doesn't exist. It's not on the card.

I've had no trouble with my card reader docking the cards, but these 'lost' clips aren't there because the error causes the last recording to have failed apparently.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Errol LazareRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on May 26, 2011 at 9:40:13 pm

I have not experienced that before. Sounds like a drag.
I use Sandisk cards and they work very well. I use to use kingston economy cards, but then stopped using them because they buffered, but I never experienced that error on the cheaper kingston's either.

Hope you find your answer, but I am stumped.
What is your camera's firmware version?

Cheers,

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2011 at 9:42:45 pm

The firmware on the camera right now is 1.2.3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe ForneyRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:44:49 am

I'd update your firmware immediately. I'd be willing to bet that's the issue.

The 1.2.5 firmware update has this in the description:

"Fixes a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards."

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:24:17 pm

Joe, thanks, I had updated to that new firmware and it still locked up & lost footage..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on May 26, 2011 at 9:50:58 pm

Grab a Sandisk class 10 card and give that a whirl. If you get the same problem, you know it's not the card.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 26, 2011 at 10:01:35 pm

Thanks Jason, what do you know about the professional Lexar 600x cards - is that the top end?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2011 at 11:52:57 pm

[Sean Winn] "Thanks Jason, what do you know about the professional Lexar 600x cards - is that the top end?"

Sorry, not a brand I'm very familiar with.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent DunnRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on May 27, 2011 at 7:05:12 pm

The Delkin's won't work. I actually bought a similar Delkin card for backup purposes or to deliver a copy of the footage. It was cheap and I tried it in the camera to see how it would perform. Had some of the same issues. It just doesn't write fast enough to keep up with the camera.

Go with Sandisc, Lexar, or Hoodman media. Class 10 will work or Extreme II cards.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2011 at 9:38:37 pm

Brent,
Thanks for this info - it's helpful. I sent the 7D off today to have it looked at just in case. Will hate that if this just turns out to be a card issue - dangit. I'll look into getting better cards.

When you say Class 10 or Extreme II, is that going to be listed on a card or does class 10 simply serve as a class descriptor but the cards themselves will not indicate that - rather just be a certain speed, etc?

Thanks again,
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2011 at 4:38:43 am

[Sean Winn] "I sent the 7D off today to have it looked at just in case. Will hate that if this just turns out to be a card issue - dangit. I'll look into getting better cards.

When you say Class 10 or Extreme II, is that going to be listed on a card or does class 10 simply serve as a class descriptor but the cards themselves will not indicate that - rather just be a certain speed, etc?"

I can't believe you sent the camera off without trying a different card first. Can you say "basic troubleshooting"? The faster cards generally show the class designation because that's the big selling point. These are the cards I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HFER6O Wow... just checked the price and it has dropped $30 bucks since December. Compared to P2, these babies are dirt cheap!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2011 at 1:35:55 pm

Yeah, dad always said, 'live and learn'. Proved that once again.
Not sure about your card link though - for the 7D it's CF cards, and the Lexar 16gb 600x cards I've looked at through B&H (130.00) do not indicate Class 10 anywhere. I'm not sure if CF cards do.
Thanks again,
S

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2011 at 2:43:29 pm

[Sean Winn] "Not sure about your card link though - for the 7D it's CF cards, and the Lexar 16gb 600x cards I've looked at through B&H (130.00) do not indicate Class 10 anywhere. I'm not sure if CF cards do."

Sorry about that; my GH2 uses SD cards. I'm not sure what the speed designations are for Compact Flash.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin McManusRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:00:50 am

Hi Sean,

Have you had any luck figuring out this problem after getting the camera back from Canon? I'm having the same issue and am wondering whether or not to get new cards or send in the camera.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:55:49 pm

Hi Kevin,
Yes, here's what's happened...
I sent the camera in to Canon - and thought afterward I had made a mistake - but it turns out that they sent it back stating the Card pin connector was broken and replaced.

The interesting thing is though....
I was using 4 16gb Delkin 450x CF cards and while the camera was in the shop purchased a 16gb Lexar 600x card (on the recommendation of Vincent Laforet's site). When I got the camera back, the Delkin card(s) eventually froze up again, but I haven't had a single instance of the Lexar 600x card doing it.

Needless to say, I assume it's more of a speed issue, so I'm ordering another Lexar card.
I admit it's not scientific only because I assume others have used slower cards with the Canon 7D and not had this problem.

Hope this helps,
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brandon WallRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 1:48:54 am

Sean, It's a bummer to hear about this happening with the 7D and certain CF cards.

I recently have had the same exact issue with my 7D excpet I'm using the sandisk 16gb and 32gb 60MB/s cards. Just last week I shot a wedding on my 7D and in the middle of the ceremony the camera locked up and none of the buttons worked, so I had to remove the battery to get any functionality back. At the time I was thinking no big deal I'll just start recording again. But then the next day I realized several large video files I filmed right before it froze were corrupt and basically didn't exist on the card.

So I'm stuck trying to figure out a solution as I have more weddings coming up. So I'm thinking either try the Lexar 600x cards or should I buy a different camera such as the 5DmkII.

Basically I'd like to know if you have had any issues with the Lexar 16GB 600x cards? Thanks so much for any responses!

-Brandon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:53:25 pm

Hi Brandon,
After all these problems, I bought two Lexar 600 cards on the recommendation of Vincent Laforet (check out his site & blog).

I can report to you that using the Lexar cards, the camera has never had the problem again. I assume it's just the speed & quality of the cards. I won't go back. Can't risk it.
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Ale ReynosoRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:02:09 am

Had the same problem with 7d/Delkin 16gb 450x UDMA 6...
Not any problem with a "slower" Kingston 133x 8Gb elite pro.
Updated to 1.2.5, but the problem went the same.
It would be nice to make a database of trouble cards with the 7d (I read the same cards run fine in some other cameras...)
Best regards

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elena CoyneRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:52:29 pm

I just had that problem with 60D/ADATA SD HC class 10 card. 10 min file of wedding processional is gone nowhere to be found. I can even see what file number is missing. So with continuous file numbering it still recorded it but didn't save. There must be a way to recover corrupted file or at least part of it if it used the file numbering - it is somewhere. It only happened ones and then camera worked perfectly with same card after I took the battery out for next 48 hours of shooting with little brakes...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cristian ChiruRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Aug 25, 2012 at 12:27:57 pm

Hello,

I have the same issues with my 7D, using Kingston Ultimate CompactFlash 16GB 266X (approx 50MB/s).
When i bought the camera it came with firmware 1.2.5 and had the issues.
After upgrading to firmware 2.0.0, the issues remain.

I have identified actually 2 distinct problems:
1. Sometimes after stopping the movie recoding, the camera will take a few seconds to stop, the red activity led will blink but in the end the message Error 02: Card can not be accessed. Reinsert/change or format card with camera. is displayed and the clip lost. This is RANOM. For example, i shot a 50 seconds clip, stopped, recorded another 1 minute clip: error. Recorded another 50second, ok, another 30 seconds: error. Then recorded another 4 clips, the last one of 3 minutes and everything was ok. I let sometimes the camera record the maximum of 12 minutes and went ok. Before starting shooting, i formated the card from the camera. It seems to me that if i record a clip and delete it, next recording almost always resulted in an error. If i would take a still picture and then record, would work ok, but this is not certain.

2. Only once it happened on firmware 1.2.5 that after stopped the recording the camera froze completely so i had to remove the batteries. It seems that the FAT filesystem on the card was corrupted and had to run chkdsk. The result was that it recovered for me the first 250MB of that clip. Later on i found out that i should have used data recovery tools like GetDataBack or Parition recovery from DiskInternals to recover even more data. The idea is that the clip was there! (initially a 0 bytes file but after chkdsk a recovery file appeared).

So the main difference between 1. and 2. is that in 1. i DO NOT HAVE ANY FILES. It is hard to recover them afterwards especially if you overwrite the empty space by recording other movies.

Should this be because of buffering? I noted that the camera formats the card with 32KB cluster size. I want to try with smaller cluster sizes and see if there is a difference.

I browsed the internet for some answers and most of the ppl say "buy the pro cards, it's the card's fault not the camera". I am not by far a pro, and do not afford to pay 3 times the price on a pro card.

Sorry for my english and long post.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:16:43 pm

Hi Cristian,
All I can tell you is that after I switched to the Lexar high speed compact flash cards, I never had another issue with the 7D. Vincent Laforet is where I learned about this stuff: http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/mygear/media/

I use Lexar 16gb 600x compact flash cards. Not sure they make them any more, but now you can get an even better card for about half the cost I paid for mine: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841564-REG/Lexar_LCF16GCTBNA1000_16GB...

Hope that helps,
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cristian ChiruRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 7:53:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Sean.

Lexar pro 600x is still available in my country but the price is exactly 3 times higher than the kingston, which is not an option for me since i am not a professional. Still I am not convincend that simply buying a faster card would fix the problem since several people reported that the cards that worked a lot of time perfectly on 5DMK2 had this issue on 7D.

I will try and borrow for a time a pro card and see if there are issues.

So far, i have formatted the cards (i have two of them) with 64K cluster size - the largest, and shooting around 15 clips (filling a 16GB card twice ~96 minutes of footage) triggered the error only once! I formatted the card fully, not through quick format.

I will test further and let you know.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sieger DuinkerkenRe: 7D repeated Card error- lost footage
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 10:48:23 am

I'm experiencing the same problem with a SanDisk 16GB 32MB/s card, and it drives me crazy! I've lost precious video material several times. It happens unpredictedly.

Would there be any way to force Canon to help its customers? To me this sounds like a 'known issue'. Unfortunately the warranty period of my 7D is over, and this Card Error happens so randomly, it probably would be hard to prove something is wrong with this camera.. I doubt that this is a repairable issue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]