Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Best workflow for Canon 5D and Panasonic HPX170

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew RubinBest workflow for Canon 5D and Panasonic HPX170
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 5:07:44 am

Hello All,

I am shooting a documentary and we are finalizing our choice on cameras. We are looking to shoot primarily on HPX170 with some secondary footage on 5D. The 5D will most likely will not be intercut as with the HPX as in A camera, B camera but done with specific shots in mind and beauty shots, etc...

However, I want to make sure I'm not going to run into problems in post. What would be the best workflow to use both cameras and maintain the best possible, most seamless workflow in Final Cut Pro?

I am planning to shoot on the HPX170 at 1080i 24pN.

Any thoughts or suggestion for either camera to make them work best together or settings that should be kept in mind for a post workflow would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

***side note, we shot some preliminary footage on the HMC150 at 1080i 24pN that we will also use.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: Best workflow for Canon 5D and Panasonic HPX170
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:07:56 am

If you budget time and hard drive space for transcoding all of the 5D footage to ProRes- that will make your life much easier. The P2 footage will be QuickTime DVCPROHD and should co-exist fine with ProRes on a timeline.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RubinRe: Best workflow for Canon 5D and Panasonic HPX170
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:10:05 am

How would one transcode 5D footage to Apple ProRes 422?

Thanks for the help! Sincerely appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: Best workflow for Canon 5D and Panasonic HPX170
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:17:03 am

Well it's just MOV files on the camera so any QuickTime compatible program- such as FCP, QuickTime Player or Compressor would do the trick. Or if you're willing to spend a few more dollars- this is also an option:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-grinder/

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ross TokachRe: Best workflow for Canon 5D and Panasonic HPX170
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:19:19 am

I am working on a doc right now that has many different mixed formats. I am transcoding to prores 422, I have hv20 that was 60 i, I reverse telecine'd that to 24 fps. My client wants to finish on film, so I am going to 23.98 with everything. I also have p2 footage that I transcoded to PR.

Now, the question I have is, - I canon 5d footage, it is shot in all three formats that cam offers, including some 60 fps footage. I am wondering what the best transcode settings are, to bring the 24 fps, the 30 fps, and the 60 fps transcode up to project speed. I tried a simple transcode, from 60 fps to 24, it went into slo-mo. Is there a way to transcode it, so I am not having to speed it up 250%?

Also, with the 30 fps footage, it says it is upper field dominant, I thought this cam only shoots progressive?

Sorry if this question is written sloppy, I am tired and it was a long day in the lab...

"Oop, I think my render is done!"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]