Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Norman WillisOT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:28:26 am

OT: I am watching the Blue Crane Digital training DVD's on the 5DM2, and am learning a lot. However, they recommend a grey balance card.

I have always used a white balance card, and have been happy with the results. However, I looked at the Grey Balance card reviews on B&H, and the stills pros say grey balancing gives far superior color results than white. Does anyone know why that is?

Also, much of my video shoots are in studio. My CFL's are supposed to be 5100K (all from the same manufacturer). Can I really just enter 5100K under the white balance setting and shoot? Or is it better to white/grey balance, even under controlled lighting?

Thanks.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Norman WillisRe: OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:07:38 am

Maybe it is just because there are so many different 'colors' of white? Maybe they can make uniform grey cards much easier?

I don't mean to ask stupid questions. Maybe I should just get a grey card, and check it out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chip ThomeRe: OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:33:46 am

From what I could glean as I researched this recently, gray cards are to stills, what white balance is to video. I agree with Michael, when we are in the field, we do tend to go for whatever we think is white. This is why I bought a set of gray, white and black cards to use to be able to set each.

During Christmas I had a GH1 here and went to white balance in the living room. Because I knew the real color of my off white chair, I was able to color balance by temp. I just kept adjusting the temp value, until my chair appeared in the screen as it really is. If you think your lighting is 5100K, I would set something in there you know the color of when it is in daylight, and try setting your cam accordingly. It might be 5100K, or as I found in my living room, it was off about 400K+ from the preset.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeffrey HaneyRe: OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 8:12:51 pm

Hey Chip, what was the product that you bought? Can you give me a link please? Thanks

Jeffrey Haney
Producer/Director, Comcast Spotlight
Owner, Lights in the Attic Creative Media
http://www.litacreative.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:10:50 am

I don't think there is that much difference if you balance gray vs white but with white people tend to pick up any old thing that is "white" but most white things have a color tint to them. So if you use a "calibrated" gray card it would be more actuate but if you picked up and old gray thing you would have the same issue. Same would be true if you used a true white card vs a white piece of paper.

I don't think you ever go wrong with doing a true white balance. If you have the time I would stick with that. But in the end do some test and see what you like.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Norman WillisRe: OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:30:48 am

OK, I bought a calibrated 18% grey card for when I am in the field, and in the meantime I will do a manual white balance whenever I am in the studio.

Just for giggles I will also dial in 5100K, and see what color that really makes things =:0 lol

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam KuperRe: OT: Just enter 5100K? Or white/grey balance?
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:17:47 pm

When shooting RAW, I've found that grey balancing tends to give better results than white balancing, even when using reference cards from X-Rite for both. I'd love to find out why grey works so much better!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]