Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

CC on :30's for Cable

COW Forums : Closed Captioning

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
T. PaytonCC on :30's for Cable
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:02:18 pm

I'm completely new to CC so please be patient.

I'm delivering a few spots for broadcast from our agency, and I'm a little rusty on broadcast delivery in the US. What are the "average" requirements for CC on a 30 second spot for digital delivery? Do they even need to be closed captioned?

Since we are delivering a small campaign I would assume I would have a company who specializes in this to add CC to the master file. On the other hand I've heard of some stations taking a separate caption file that adds captions to a show life via their master control software.

Any advice would be helpful.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben KalbRe: CC on :30's for Cable
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:59:51 pm

Closed captions are not usually required on commercials; however, they are beneficial to communicate the advertiser's accessibility awareness and message. Think about it this way, if you were one of the 40 million deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans, you would be less likely to support an advertiser who didn't provide captions. Plus, if your commercial will be seen in bars or restaurants, you message will not be effective without captions. In addition, if your commercial project is funded by state or federal dollars, captions prove to be very important to stay in compliance with Section 508 rules.

As far as adding them, a professional service is a great way to go. A service company can create and format the captions and provide a caption file or insert (marry) the caption file into your video. Sometimes the various spot delivery companies will also offer caption file insertion when they transcode the video.

Hope this helps!

Ben Kalb
Closed Captioning Blog
CaptionLabs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: CC on :30's for Cable
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:37:56 pm

Ben,

Thanks for fast reply and your insight.

------
T. Payton