MovCaptioner text import and .scc output
by Rob Fitzgerald on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:28:53 pm
I've just recently begun using MovCaptioner to create .scc files which are then merged offsite with the video file. It's been hit or miss on the captions as some of them don't work, but then with a few tweaks they do and I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to help answer a few questions for me.
1. Importing text - I've determined I need to set up the text/lyrics w music notes and all in BB Edit, since it's my understanding Text Edit can be troublesome. Is there any particular formatting to the imported text that I need to know?
2. Breaks in captions. I've been using the "Insert Blank Caption" option to get blank space between two captions. Will that suffice or do I need to put a space/tab, etc in there so it recognizes?
3. Outputting .scc - I'm using the Sonic Scenarist option to create the .scc file. When I've compared them to other files that I know worked, they look identical, yet can't seem to figure out why it's not working.
Re: MovCaptioner text import and .scc output by Pat Besong on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:01:46 am
Is this the same issue I helped you with this afternoon? I hadn't seen this come thru the Cow forum's notification yet.
1) Yes, best to use BBedit or Text Wrangler and save the files as plain text ".txt" files. I always use utf-8 with unix line breaks.
2) Insert Caption should work fine. Just leave it blank and it will make the previous caption expire at the timecode set on the blank caption.
3) This could have been the timecode issue I mentioned in the email to you this afternoon. Since the last timecode came only 20 frames after the previous caption, it didn't leave it enough buffer time to display and caused an invalid file.