Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Manage Preview Movies

COW Forums : CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Buck KahlerManage Preview Movies
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:16:09 pm

Hi!
I've searched this forum and Squarebox's FAQ to try and solve my problem. I've ingested media into a catalog and created proxy movies on a separate drive from the editing drive. I then quit out of CatDV and ejected the editing drive. In theory, the proxies should still appear in the catalog after I eject the editing drive because we have all the proxies on a Promise RAID. However, this has not been the case.

I was hoping to find something to help me re-link the proxies to the catalog. We are a tapeless shop using P2 and we have Calibrated installed. I found a FAQ referring to the "proxy manager" or "preview manager" which supposedly lives under the media menu. First, though, you're supposed to "enable advanced menus in the preferences." Two of us have spent hours looking for this elusive tool. Does anyone know where this tool lives in the Professional Edition version 9.0.6?

Perhaps I'm going about it all wrong?
Thanks,
Buck Kahler

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robb HarrissRe: Manage Preview Movies
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:25:23 pm

what system did you use for the proxies? Path or tape name? What's the format of the proxies? Generally if they don't show up it's because the drive holding them isn't mounted.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Buck KahlerRe: Manage Preview Movies
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:39:02 pm

I used Path, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I've created a folder on the Promise RAID called "CatDV Proxies." That raid is always connected to the Mac Mini system that has CatDV on it, so it's not offline.
In the "Old Proxy Location" I connect it to the drive with the original media on it. In the "new proxy location" line I connect it to the CatDV Proxy folder on our Promise raid. Is that the right way to use this preference?

What's strange is that even using the "Find proxy in finder" doesn't work. CatDV doesn't even see the proxies when I can look directly at them, open them and play them.

Buck Kahler
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:44:59 pm

Path is best
first check to see if the proxies are on the promise raid. (I use a 2T esata G-disk hanging off one of the systems). If you let CatDV make the proxies (what format?), you shouldn't have to set anything other than the initial settings in the preferences. And made sure the volume itself is actually mounted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:53:21 pm

Here's what mine look like. They're actually quite messy because they go back a few years to when I was using Tape-based and had to change everything and then all sorts of things have been moved all over the system. It's all fixed now. Fortunately for me.

catdv-proxy-locations.png

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:16:12 pm

We're using the default settings for making the proxies (Motion jpeg).

I'm just trying to get a good archiving workflow going. Basically, it's something like this:
1.)Take finished project folder with all media associated with it and break it into 300gb "backup folders." (We have a Quantum DLT, so that's the size limit.) I name the backup folder the same as the Quantum cartridge it will go onto.
2.) I take that backup folder and ingest it into CatDV, then make the proxies.
3.) The editing drive containing the backup folder is then ejected and hooked up to the Quantum and away we go.

The idea is we'd always have proxies of our footage online and quickly be able to find what we're looking for and later pull the full-rez versions from the Quantum tapes.

(Were you ever able to upload the tutorials you were hoping to put on the Cow? That would be so excellent!)

Buck Kahler
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:03:34 pm

It sounds not entirely different than what I do. The primary difference: I'm using 1T or 2T raw SATA drives for my "archives."

We've been shooting on HDCam for 11 years, and before that DigiBeta and super16. We have a lot of tape originals. I'm slowly making us pseudo-file based. I setup one of the rooms to capture the field footage (or master off tape) into FCP (7)-with the capture directory the name of the shooting location. It's easy for me to setup large and odd batches. Then I transfer the files to an archive drive. Then I Scan the capture directory on the archive drive into CatDV and let it make proxies. The proxies are stored in that eSata drive hanging off one of the edit systems, which happens also to be the machine hosting the workgroup server.

So I end up with the camera originals in volumes\archive 11\WCSC and the proxies in volumes\G-1\CatDV Proxies\Volumes\archive 11\WCSC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rolf HowarthRe: Manage Preview Movies
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 1:28:27 am

On the first page (General tab) of Preferences you can switch between simple and advanced menus. By default we don't show less commonly used commands to keep things a bit simpler for new users. Once you enable advanced menus you'll see Manage Proxy Movies in the Media menu.

The general idea with proxies is that CatDV doesn't directly store a hard link to the proxy file for a clip. Instead, it calculates the location of a proxy file from the stored Media Path (the path from which you originally imported the media file) and the Proxy Path Mappings (path-based media search path).

If proxies don't work, the first thing to do is check the Media Path for the clip, then look at your media search paths and find the corresponding mapping (you can have multiple entries there, giving you great flexibility in having proxies in different locations if necessary).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jun 19, 2012 at 10:32:56 am

Thanks Rolf, if it had been a snake it would have bit me.
Thanks to Robb too: my problem was not making a proxy path for EACH folder I was creating in the proxy media folder. We're trying to keep it all organized and since we're just starting out I think we're on the right track. CatDV is an amazing product, but I wish the documentation was more robust. The reference guide is more "it can do this" rather than "this is HOW you can do this."
Buck

Buck Kahler
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]