Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

9.0.2 Doesn't play well with FCP 7

COW Forums : Facilis

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Chad Gilmour9.0.2 Doesn't play well with FCP 7
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:50:22 pm

I have CatDV 9.0.2 setup with tons of clips catalogued, lots of DVCPRO HD 729 59.94 and am having lots of issues getting it into fcp 7. I'm being very careful not to mix formats in sequences as well as when I export FCP7 XML files. So far I have had no success with clips working properly in a timeline in FCP, the in and out points are always off, clips will show up multiple times in a sequence in fcp even though it only appears once in the catdv sequence, even the format of the clip and sequence settings are always off.

Am I the only one with this issue? Is it a problem with the format?

Also I am unable to drag and drop sequences or subclips into fcp. I can only drag and drop original clips and in and out points are not recognized.

8 Core Intel Mac
OSX 10.6.8
FCP 7.0.3
CATDV 9.0.2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robb HarrissRe: 9.0.2 Doesn't play well with FCP 7
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:22:42 pm

Works just fine for me. But I'm using prores and an assortment of proxy formats, though mostly photo jpeg. Was fit working in the past and you've made some change? Or are you starting fresh? We'd have to know more about your setup, particularly the paths and locations of files.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad GilmourRe: 9.0.2 Doesn't play well with FCP 7
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:34:24 pm

Starting fresh I guess, in the past when I would look for single clips I would just do a reveal in finder or drag the original clip over to FCP. I'm not doing any proxies, no worker node, no CatDV server. All media is online and stored on a Facillis Terrablock and all media for a given catalogue is on the same volume on the Terrablock. I use a ton of Proress files too 29.97 and 59.94 in other catalogues with similar results, but currently I'm trying to work with some DVCPRO HD 720 60p footage. I have no problems with playback or speed. A lot of times it also flip flops my in and out point for a clip, it all seems pretty random to me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:37:21 pm

I'm on the way out the door. But the short answer is " you're doing it wrong." help is on the way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:39:02 pm

I figured as much. Given my current inability to export to FCP it's still super helpful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 30, 2012 at 2:50:33 pm

Ok, I don't have time to do a screen capture video, but I hope this works. It's kinda funky because it's supposed to be used for video files rather than still screen captures, but it will explain how to do this step by step. I need to do some videos, however, because I'm teaching several people here how to use CatDV.

First, make sure your project is open in Final Cut. Then open CatDV.
Here's the link to the screen shots and explanation. The images should be in order, but I seem to have little control over this.

http://www.screencast.com/t/wSNDcRkZ6

Note that I use this all day ever day. I don't bother to load lots of footage into FC. I just find what I need in CatDV and dump it into FC as I need it. I work with my proxies loaded on the network. Not from just one shoot, but from everything. You can force CatDV to use the proxy by holding down the Option key (I think) when doing the drag and drop. Happens automatically when all you have are the proxies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:47:17 pm

YES! That works perfectly! So long story short, I'm not smart enough to use this software. Haha, I was totally missing that entire "other" tab. Thank you so much, you are a God send my friend!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:51:35 pm

Actually no, you're not stupid at all. In fact the software is rather complex and because of the amount of data available and presented the user interface is not particularly user friendly for those not intimate with it. It has tremendous features that a buried deep inside of it. Much like the proverbial onion metaphor: just keep peeling back the layers. The more I work with it the more I can't live without it. I wish I knew a small fraction of what Bryson and others know. Maybe someday.

Gotta redo this thing and get it posted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Rolf HowarthRe: 9.0.2 Doesn't play well with FCP 7
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:39:01 pm

Glad you got it sorted with Robb's help. The latest version of CatDV is 9.0.6, which is a free point update with bug fixes etc. available at http://www.squarebox.co.uk/download1.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]