Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Ram Again, oh, mang.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alexander HigginsRam Again, oh, mang.
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 5:54:55 pm

Hey Everyone, I need to max out the RAM on my MacPro 5.1 ASAP. I am running Resolve along lots of other APPS so I need as much RAM as possible, like 64gigs if possible.

My computer right now is.
2x2.4GHZ with 6GB of 1066MHz DDR3 Ram.

So should I get 48 GIGS of RAM?? Since its in increments of 6GB? 24GB of RAM is not enough for what I need.

Would love an authority to chime in, I am also going to call tech support at Blackmagic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Uli PlankRe: Ram Again, oh, mang.
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 12:57:04 pm

How do you know 24 Gb is not enough? Which programs will you need?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Illya LaneyRe: Ram Again, oh, mang.
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:23:40 pm

You can max out to 32 but Resolve requires a specific amount depending on the system you're using. How many applications do you usually run at the same time?

twitter.com/illyalaney

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean KapletonRe: Ram Again, oh, mang.
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 7:15:04 am

i have a new 12 core with 32GB (x4 8gb owc sticks) i run a variety of apps including AE & C4D (not all at once) but have beefed my system up for these core and memory hungry apps - i was under the impression that 24GB was the max and that i will take some type of performance hit for the setup I have.

I would actually love to understand the technical aspect of what is going on under the hood...hopefully I wont have to swap down to 24 to get decent function out of resolve on this system.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2011 at 9:02:31 pm

RAM isn't as important as you think, but it doesn't hurt to have the recommended specs. To give you an example I've seen Resolve on a 2008 system, no RAID, only 4GB, and a GTX 285 and it was still doing 1080 ProRes 444 with multiple nodes at 24 FPS.

twitter.com/illyalaney

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alexander HigginsRe: Ram Again, oh, mang.
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 1:26:31 am

Well. Autodesk Smoke, The Foundry NUKE, After Effects, Cinema4D to name a few eat up RAM. I use all of them from time to time.

I finally talked with People at APPLE and technical software people about the RAM issue. To my understanding it isn't so much the amount as much as it is the SLOT CONFIG.

Basically the way the 5.1 MacPro's INTEL's memory architecture works is that if you use more than 6 slots then it decreases the memory efficiency by 15 to 20 percent.

So If you use only 6 slots, 3 x Pairs, whatever the size you are fine, once you get into 4 x pairs, it slows down by 15 to 20 percent. In terms of weather the amount is 6GB, 12GB, 24GB etc or 8GB, 16GB, 32GB that is what is preferred, but in no way that benchmark-able or testable.

According to my understanding, it is really really hard for Blackmagic to make any concrete benchmarks for these configs. A Apple MacPro is the closent thing to a turnkey in the over the counter PC world, but it still is far from a singe hardware vendor. There are too many differences among MacPro configs, memory vendors, HD vendors and what not to get a good clean benchmark.

To address the memory issue in general, I tend to disagree with anyone who things memory is not that important?? Its the 300,000x faster then a hard drive and any modern app eats RAM like a dickens. Its also the single most inexpensive way to increase the speed of your computer.

RAM=IMPORTANT=POWER=AWESOME

All that being said I am going with 3 pairs of 8GB DIMMS, so 48GB of RAM.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:30:32 pm

I said memory isn't as important as you think in the context of Resolve(it's a DaVinci forum after all). I never said RAM in general isn't important. I'd rather invest the $1500 in GPU's and a Cubix, but that's just me.

BTW, doesn't Smoke only monitor via AJA? Won't you need a PCI-e chassis to run both video cards?

twitter.com/illyalaney

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 1:50:55 am

As of a little while ago SMOKE can monitor out of the secondary DVI port, you can also use a DVI to SDI converter if you wanted, I think Miranda and few others have that. Still a new feature. On that note the FILMLIGHT BASELIGHT uses DVI to SDI for all their stuff. They don't even use SDI hardware, or at least the model I looked at.

Anway, Right now my station was at 6GB of RAM and it wouldn't even let me render an AE comp without S#*TTING THE BED.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:12:31 am

I can only imagine what that looks like. Haha.

twitter.com/illyalaney

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean KapletonRe: Ram Again, oh, mang.
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 8:15:47 pm

just to clarify - my setup with slow down resolve by 15-20%?

If i had 2 more 8gb sticks (48gb ram) then it wont be a problem? I am debating whether or not to scale down to 24gb and swap out for my 8gb sticks or add 2 more 8gb sticks...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 6, 2011 at 4:29:11 am

It will slow the memory architecture 15 to 20%. Which is a hard thing to nail down and benchmark. From there the slower memory will slow down DaVinci since the memory is slower, but again, its hard to benchmark. So its a more complicated math equation than just 15% slower, so I am not going to try and guess the actually number for DaVinci.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Uli PlankRe: Ram Again, oh, mang.
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:38:52 am

From my experience with other software, the overall slowdown is considerably less than that.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]