Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jeff CottenHow to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:38:18 am

I have a 1080 timeline in FCP7. Working with Red footage so I have reference files in FCP7. I output an XML from FCP and imported that into Resolve. I did the grade using the Red files. Now I want to go back to FCP with 5k ProRes files AND still have a 1080 timeline. In the Deliver page I choose "Export to Final Cut Pro" from the Easy Setup. My Output Tab has "Set Resolution to:" at 1920 x 1080. My "output Options" tab has "Force sizing to highest quality" & Force debayer res to highest quality"
But Reslove is delivering 1080 files not 5K which is what the red camera shot. If I change the Output Tab to "Set Resolution to:" at 5120 x 2700 I get 5K files but my XML has the timeline at 5K (well 4K since FCP7 can't handle 5k). If you know how to output 5K files with an XML that has a 1080 timeline, please advise. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:58:35 am

I don't think FCP7 can handle a 5K image. You could copy and paste into a 1080P sequence. Or just change sequence settings. But a better question is why in the world would you want to let fcps awful scaling anywhere near your image?

color/post/workflow
http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff CottenRe: How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:14:32 pm

I'm using FCP to create the final XML that will go out to a Smoke editor.
I add music, SFX, simple text and other things that I can't do in Resolve. So Smoke is doing the resize not FCP. I'm guessing Resolve can't out the XML I'm wanting. I'll do a work around. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John TissavaryRe: How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 2:17:38 pm

Unless I'm missing something, if you're just adding items in FCP for an XML output, then resolution in FCP is not important. You can output 5k from Resolve for smoke, output Prores for FCP, generate XML from FCP and conform back to 5k output from Resolve in Smoke.

BTW, it's unusual to output 5k files from Resolve to bring into Smoke. It's generally better to work at delivery resolution, unless there are very specific reasons not to (i.e. severe zooms with in a Smoke-based client supervised session). I've tried working with 4k images in Flame, and let's just say I'd rather never ever have to do that again. Not sure if Smoke is better, but I don't think so.

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:21:11 pm

Yes, We need to resize the 5K footage in a 1080 timeline. Client wants to do a zoom in post rather than in camera.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:35:28 pm

Do you know where the resizing information lives in Resolve from the FCP XML? It doesn't seem to be in the Sizing menu in the Color tab. I can disable the sizing data from the XML by right clicking on the clip and turning it off. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

brandon thomasRe: How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 7:08:54 pm

There's no way to access it the XML's sizing data. You can't adjust FCP opacity either.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 7:10:22 pm

It's "dark metadata"..... ooooooooh. I like the quantum physics aspect of it.

color/post/workflow
http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 7:19:19 pm

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jake blackstoneRe: How to output 5K files in a 1080 timeline
by on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:36:26 pm

During the XML import un-select "Use sizing information". Resolve will then ignore any re-sizing, that was done in FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 7:10:38 pm

You can adjust the output resolution from 1920x1080 to a custom resolution, so just input the dimensions you need.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]