Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Your opinion on going from SD to HD

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tobias HeilmannYour opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:23:20 pm

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of preparing the remastering of a film originally shot on Digital Betacam in the PAL format.

We want to recreate titles, Graphics, VFX, etc. in 1080i25 and also regrade the film using Resolve.

How would you go about up-resing from SD to HD? Would you use Resolve (grade and then output in HD)? Or would you use a different tool all together to do the upconversion? We are really looking for the best possible result, money not necessarily being the issue.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Tobias

In Touch Media Entertainment
Munich, Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 1:41:07 am

resolve's bilinear uprez is generally pretty good. It would be worth the effort though to try a hardware conversion, Teranex an obvious candidate, but also a play-through and capture (if you have more than one system) using a Kona or Decklink, which are also surprisingly good.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tobias HeilmannRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:10:59 am

Thank you!

If am grading and resizing in the same pass (on the same timeline), will Resolve first resize the image and then do its node calculations based on the new (high res) image, or will it do the node-work and then resize that?

Yes, Teranex I contemplated as well. We have both a Kona3 and an BMD Decklink 3D Extreme to try this with, also.

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MastantuonoRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:08:14 pm

Resolve's scaling filter is very good, except I'm not crazy about its results with interlaced material. I'm much happier with it going from 720p up or resizing. I use a secret sauce mixing different software packages, depending on the footage when I have the time.

If you can rent/use one teranex is the way to go.
If you're strapped for time and cash, kona3 isn't bad.

Back in the day I really liked optical flow stung in shake and compressor but you had to be careful about artifacts.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert HoullahanRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:16:38 am

Get a Teranex, hands down the best conversion for the $ especially now that a 2D BMD Teranex is less than $2k and has thunderbolt capture. You can also control sharpening and NR a bit with the box and the processing is better than the Kona or most software scaling that I have seen.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:10:10 am

Thank you all... ok, so I am getting the tendency towards Teranex - especially at that price it's a very attractive option.

However, I am wondering, is that the state-of-the-art? The top of the line? Or are you all referring to Teranex because of the obvious and undeniable value for the money ?

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert HoullahanRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:12:25 pm

Honestly I thin the new Teranex has to be close to "SOTA" I was curious if the BMD version was a watered down version of the VC-100 but I got one anyway and could not be happier with the conversions it does and I know someone with an insert shop who uses one for Broadcast conversions all the time.

Maybe a Snell would be 1% better? I don't know but the current Teranex is quite a bargain, especially for the price.

_Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:49:48 pm

Thank you for the feedback... so Teranex it is.

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frank GothmannRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:05:54 pm

The vc100 does a decent but not fantastic job converting fields based formats. With slow frame rates it's pretty bad. 24 to 25 and vice versa is pretty much unusable for higher end needs. As far as scaling is concerned, it's quite good (better than Kona and BMD) but, again, if you want the best upscale quality you can possibly get it's either a Snell Alchemist or Archangel.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:21:43 am

I'd say snell a good deal more than 1% better, motion compensation is a big deal, but for the price the teranex is hard to beat.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 2, 2013 at 3:08:40 pm

I hear you, I would however still be interested in finding out the answer to my previous Resolve question here:

!If am grading and resizing in the same pass (on the same timeline), will Resolve first resize the image and then do its node calculations based on the new (high res) image, or will it do the node-work and then resize that?"

Anyone know?

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:50:32 pm

Resizing is done on input. First.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 2, 2013 at 8:16:48 pm

Thank you

Munich, Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernest SavageRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:00:35 am

Hi,

I'm about to through the same process you did with upconverting SD to HD, using resolve to color. How did it work out for you? Did resolve use the upconverted image to color instead of the SD image. How was the Teranex?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tobias Heilmann-SchurichtRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:19:19 am

Hi Ernest,

We postponed the project and I did not get to test the process.

Best,
Tobias

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernest SavageRe: Your opinion on going from SD to HD
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:39:29 am

Hello, I'm about to do a similar project: SD to HD up convert, color in resolve. So I was also wondering what the best workflow is. I have a Teranex box and was going to upconvert at the end, after grading, but I wanted to view the images in HD as I colored. So you said Resolve upconverts on input, what does that mean, through a node? Or does it actually change the media from SD to HD when the media is imported? I'm also doing noise reduction with neat video when I export the media back to FCP7.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]