Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

ISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eric JohnsonISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?
by on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:50:21 pm

Hey Everybody:

I'm trying to track down any situations that would result in a Luma or Gamma shift, towards black, going between Resolve and FCP7.

This hasn't happened before, to my knowledge, on anything that I've delivered in the past so I'm a little confused. My first reaction is that the client is not monitoring correctly, but they are a working DP/Director and I would like to make sure that nothing wonky is happening on my end before I tell him his monitor is the culprit.

Working on Resolve 9.0.4 on OS X 10.7.4/5 (don't have that handy, pretty sure 10.7.5 though).
5770/Q4000 (GUI/GPU)
Decklink Extreme 3D+
26GBs RAM
eSATA RAID

Source material is Predominately ProRes 4444, with a smattering of ProRes (HQ), HDV, DVCPRO HD (720/1080) and some Animation. Almost all of the material is composited in one way or another (lo budget green screen feature). Due to some system bogging in my initial tests, the Animation and HDV was recompressed via Media Manager to ProRes 4444, the Gamma compensation was disabled.

Delivery was ProRes 4444, rendered as individual files.

When I went through the renders to make sure that all of the mismatched frame sizes from the sources were uniformed back in FCP I didn't notice anything being darker than it had been in Resolve... But like I said, I would like to give the gut the benefit of the doubt and make sure that I'm not overlooking anything before I go back and tell him his monitors are jacked.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: ISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:50:03 am

[Eric Johnson] "I'm trying to track down any situations that would result in a Luma or Gamma shift, towards black, going between Resolve and FCP7."

Confused RGB / Y'CbCR files that have differing linear/full range scaling issues would be a big factor.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robbie CarmanRe: ISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:33:04 am

did you render out data or video levels?

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
My Books
Online Training
Twitter
Blog
Mixing Light Powered By The Tao Of Color

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JohnsonRe: ISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:17:40 am

Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JohnsonRe: ISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:14:55 am

But would they still be an issue after leaving DaVinci? Wouldn't the render out after the grade to one destination format eliminate that?

That was definitely an issue during the work... All of the Animation that went to 4444 were way lifted, the DVC Pro HD and HDV... acted like DVC Pro HD and HDV.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: ISSUE: Luma/Gamma shifting towards black... any ideas?
by on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:05:09 am

[Eric Johnson] "All of the Animation that went to 4444 were way lifted,"

You're rendering an RGB codec (Animation) into a Quicktime container that can be either RGB or Y'CbCr... and FCP won't be able to tell the difference. It will assume the ProRes4x4 is linear video but it isn't. Try ProRes422,which is Y'CbCr only and see if that changes the situation.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]