Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Exporting aaf to avid mc6

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eric TrampExporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:04:33 am

I am using resolve lite 9.0.3 to render Alexa prores 444 to MXF DNxHD36 for avid proxies. After render I save project, go to conform, and export an aaf of master timeline. After importing aaf into avid mc6, the passthru
Audio doesn't play. If I populate bin by dragging .mdb file from avid mediafiles/mxf/001 folder, then sound plays.
I've also tried exporting aaf of master timeline(in resolve), then importing that aaf back into resolve, doing render out, then exporting that non-master timeline aaf. Same no sound when aaf imported into avid.
Is there a way to export an aaf from resolve that will contain all grade info, plus link 2 audio mxf files that resolve renders?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 4:55:46 am

You want to export not a timeline, but an ale. You also want to make sure to check to render audio.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon BlackledgeRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:10:39 pm

Wheres the option for ALE Juan?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:32:40 am

In the contextual menu on the timeline.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric TrampRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 8:24:03 pm

No, I don't want to export an ALE.
Editorial specs for deliverables are the ProRes 444 LogC files, and MXF wrapped DNxHD36 with an .aaf file, to use as offline proxies in Avid Media Composer. The transcodes from Resolve definitely have a video mxf an audio1 mxf and an audio2 mxf for each file. The audio plays fine in Avid if I populate the bin by dragging the .mdb file that avid generates. The problem is that ass't editors are used to importing files by importing an .aaf file, and the .aaf that Resolve is generating in the compose room (file/export AAF,XML....) doesn't link the audio mxf's to the video.
As I understand it, an MXF file contains all the metadata of a file along with the data, while an .aaf is more complete - documenting the CHANGES made to a file, input .aaf to output .aaf (color grades, effects, edits).
When I've used Colorfront ExpressDailies to make DNxHD dailies, an .aaf file was generated into the folder automatically - not so with Resolve.
Online doc's describe roundtrips from avid to resolve to avid (export .aaf from avid, import .aaf to resolve, do grade, export updated .aaf from resolve, import updated .aaf back into avid). But since I'm starting IN resolve, the files don't have an input .aaf. And if I generate an .aaf from mastertimeline of files (in resolve), then import THAT .aaf into resolve(trying to emulate a roundtrip), render onelites, save an updated .aaf, the updated .aaf STILL won't link audio when imported into avid.
How can I generate an .aaf of a file that tracks the changes made from Prores444LogC to Rec709DNxHD
that will import properly, sound and all, into avid?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 19, 2012 at 3:22:07 am

The AAF from resolve can't have audio unless it was brought in with it. You can export an ale and then bring that into media composer and make your AAF from there.

Another choice is to copy your rendered clips into a unique directory in you Avid Media_Files folder... and let it scan, then drag the mdb file into a fresh bin. And you have a bin with all your audio/video media. Then make an aaf as desired.

Yet another way is to render out your video and then manually sync the audio in media composer and then generate your AAF there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric TrampRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:12:44 pm

First of all, thank you for answering my questions - you know far more than me, and I appreciate your insight.....I can't figure it out.
you state:
"The AAF from resolve can't have audio unless it was brought in with it."
The prores444 logc files brought into resolve DO have audio embedded(recorded as a scratch track line in to camera). I also tried importing and syncing the BWF 2nd system .wav files from the sound mixer in Resolve(which synced by matching timecode just fine). In Resolve, I import Prores444logC and .wav files into media pool, then in conform room I sync .wav to Prores, in deliver room render DNxHD36 with render audio. 3 mxf are rendered /file(1 video, 2 audio).
I then save project, go back to conform room, then file/save AAF. When imported into avid, this aaf doesn't link to the 2 audio mxf's that are definitely siiting next to the video mxf in the avid mediafiles/mxf/001 folder.
You write:
"Another choice is to copy your rendered clips into a unique directory in you Avid Media_Files folder... and let it scan, then drag the mdb file into a fresh bin. And you have a bin with all your audio/video media. Then make an aaf as desired."
This is what I've been doing on set to check that proxies work in avid. Unfortunately, the ass't editors
first dealing with the proxies aren't used to importing by dragging .mdb into bins, so when they use the Resolve generated .aaf and no sound plays, they send email to production claiming screwed up transcodes, etc. I guess I will import the .mdb files into avid, then generate an .aaf in avid to send with the Resolve rendered .mxf proxies.
I just wish I could figure out how to make the .aaf from Resolve import properly into Avid.

Thank You again for your advice

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:47:59 am

[Eric Tramp] "I just wish I could figure out how to make the .aaf from Resolve import properly into Avid."

It can't, not with all the details you want. Resolve can generate fresh XMLs for FCP, but in AVID-land, a fully detailed AAF has to be originated in MC or Symphony. Resolve modifies that, the same way that Apple COLOR used to need an XML from FCP... it could not generate a fresh list.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron PicotRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Jan 26, 2013 at 6:30:06 am

"but in AVID-land, a fully detailed AAF has to be originated in MC or Symphony."

Not true, I make them in RedCineX PRO all the time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike MostRe: Exporting aaf to avid mc6
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 5:00:09 pm

Why don't you just make the bin for them? This is done on "high end" shows all the time. What's sent to editorial is a folder with all of the MXF files and a matching bin. The assistant editor copies the folder of MXFs to a numbered folder in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF tree and opens the bin. That's about as simple as it gets, even for assistants who don't want to do their job. And AAF's are not necessary for any of this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]