Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

FCP Relinking to original camera material.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave WilliamsFCP Relinking to original camera material.
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:42:42 pm

If given a XML that was cut with proxy's made from the original source material is there a way to bring in the Project XML and have it relink to source files and not the Proxy's? There is a setting on import of XML that says use Original Source files but that has always been greyed out on import??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: FCP Relinking to original camera material.
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 5:37:20 am

What format are the source files in. Assuming resolve can read it you should be able to point it to the source media instead. Might have to tell it to ignore the file extension. Which is an option in the XML import window.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: FCP Relinking to original camera material.
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 3:46:09 pm

I'd like to follow up on this, as I've been messing with a similar re-link with Canon MXF source files.

Mostly I find that the sync wanders a lot and spend most of my time jogging the clips back into place.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: FCP Relinking to original camera material.
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 7:13:31 pm

Could be the proxies messed up the FPS... NDF vs DF. or perhaps the sequence fps didn't match the source fps and you're seeing the mixed frame rate conform issue. Not sure there's an advantage to going back to source MXF on Canon stuff, if it's just rewrapped XDCAM anyway... IMO probably better off converting to DNxHD or ProRes to begin with. Not to mention what's the point when you're dealing with C300 footage. ;)

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 7, 2012 at 8:05:12 pm

[Juan Salvo] "Not sure there's an advantage to going back to source MXF on Canon stuff, if it's just rewrapped XDCAM anyway..."

And there it is, and how it was decided to proceed. 8-bit. bleccch.

Although I will need to dig some stuff back out to treat at normal frame rate for some FX sequences.

NDF/DF should not have been an issue as the whole thing is 23.98. About 10% of all clips were in sync... 75% were one frame delayed, and the rest wobbled up to 6 frames out.

jPo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robbie CarmanRe: FCP Relinking to original camera material.
by on Dec 10, 2012 at 1:57:32 am

[Joseph Owens] "NDF/DF should not have been an issue as the whole thing is 23.98. About 10% of all clips were in sync... 75% were one frame delayed, and the rest wobbled up to 6 frames out."

Interesting - I've not had the issue with all one frame rate but what you describe has been a major headache with mixed format timelines - specifically 23.98 material on a 24 timeline or vice versa. For a recent feature I gave up and baked the entire film and cut it up since it was one track virtually no dissolves. There is for sure something going on with mixed format timelines.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:43:16 pm

I get the re-link failed due to time code extents error a lot. However, when I actually grab the clips from the browser and manually plug them into the timeline, they fit perfectly, for some reason.

jPo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]