Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

REC709 to P3

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Boris TivchevREC709 to P3
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:35:00 am

Hi there,

I have a short project which a have graded with Video levels on a FS LM-2461W in REC709. It now turns out its headed for the cinema theater.

If i set my monitor to P3 and set video levels on Resolve to data would that take me closer to how things would look in the cinema theater? Is there a LUT i need to apply as well? Should i leave it with Video levels since it going back FCP anyway?

Its clear im stabbing in the dark so I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks
Boris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: REC709 to P3
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:44:22 am

I'd suggest staying 709 and letting who ever is doing the dcp to adapt accordingly. Stabbing in the dark is a really dangerous place to be when it comes to DCP.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Boris TivchevRe: REC709 to P3
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 8:17:26 am

Thanks Juan,

For future reference though, grading a project mainly for DCP I would have to set my Flanders to P3 and Resolve to Data levels, is that correct? That only applies if delivering DPX, right? What if needed to go back to FCP and ProRes for Neat Video NR for example? Would that result in crushing my blacks?

Also if wanted to make TV version is it just a matter of applying a P3toREC709 LUT and setting Resolve back to Video levels? Is such a LUT freely available or would i need to order one from Lightillusion?

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]