Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Mac graphics compatibility!!!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
paul schilensMac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:48:10 pm

I have a 2008 MacPro, Identifier 1,1 OS 10.6.8 and I need a cuda graphics card for running DaVinci Resolve. I've read the Black Magic compatibility chart which lists a bunch of different cards, but when I explore each option, I keep coming across incompatibility notes.

Has anyone run a similar system as above with the newest version of Resolve = v.9?

Any help is really appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dwaine MaggartRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 10:11:55 pm

A 1,1 model MacPro cannot run OS X in 64 bit mode, and so will not run Resolve V9, which only works if OS X is running in 64 bit mode.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

vashi nedomanskyRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:02:50 am

Hi Dwaine,

I have a 2007 Mac Pro Tower 1.1 that is force booted into 64-bit that is running Resolve 9 on 10.6.8 with a
Nvidia GT 120 and GT 285 and have no issues. It worked smoothly with Resolve 8 as well since the start of 2012.

I've used that system to color/finish several projects for Shane Hurlbut, Bandito Brothers, national spots and several personal projects. I've upgraded to a new Mac Tower but the old 1.1 is still alive and kicking as a second fully functioning station. Love your products and just thought you should know...

all the best,

Vashi Nedomansky

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

paul schilensRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:09:56 pm

[vashi nedomansky] "I have a 2007 Mac Pro Tower 1.1 that is force booted into 64-bit that is running Resolve 9 on 10.6.8 with a
Nvidia GT 120 and GT 285 and have no issues."

Just to be clear: You have the newest Resolve: 9 and it works with a GT 285 on a 1,1?

I was told by the techs at BM that a GT 285 would NOT run Resolve 9 nor could Resolve 9 run on a Mac 1,1. I just need to make sure before I go further. Thanks Vashi!

-Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

vashi nedomanskyRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 3:06:36 pm

HI Paul,

Here's a couple screencaps of my system. Hope that helps!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Samir PedersenRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:07:19 pm

Hi Vashi,

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with similar specs as yours (mine has 14GB Ram rather than 15GB is the only difference).

I was looking into what it would take to tweak my machine to run Resolve 9 lite a bit better just for HD video (no R3D or any other super high res material) and hoped you might explain the steps you took to achieve that!

Specific Questions:
1) are you using flashed PC versions of GT120 and GTX285, or the mac versions? Does it even matter if you are using an alternative bootloader to emulate 64bit Kernel and Extensions?

2) Any particular reason to use 10.6.8 in order to enable Resolve Lite 9? Or will any version of OS X work as long as 64bit K&E are enabled? I took a look at http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1123.0.html to enable 64bit kernel and wonder if this is similar to the route you took, or if you think using Mountain Lion would make a difference.

Lastly, what sort of playback FPS are you getting in Resolve 9 Lite on your 1,1? I can currently load R3D files on my 1,1 with Resolve 9 Lite using an ATI5770 (for Mac) GPU, but playback is of R3D is basically nonexistant, and DSLR video plays back at around 6FPS.

Thanks again for posting your info!

SP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Joseph OwensRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 3:14:15 pm

[vashi nedomansky] "2007 Mac Pro Tower 1.1 that is force booted into 64-bit that is running Resolve 9 on 10.6.8 with a
Nvidia GT 120 and GT 285 and have no issues."

Can't say I'm quite that daring, but I am running R9 nominally in a MacPro3,1 under 10.6.8 force-booted into 64-bit . GUI is a Quadro FX4000, and CUDA is an array of flashed 480's housed in a Cubix Desktop4.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:09:52 pm

Conventional wisdom says that Mac 1,1 and 2,1 systems can NOT run OS X in 64 bit mode, because they have EFI32 type BIOS which does not support 64 bit OS operation.

Conventional wisdom also says you cannot use graphics cards designed for a EFI64 type system (3,1 and higher) in an EFI32 system. This is why there is a Gen 1 (EFI32) 8800GT card, designed to run in 1,1 and 2,1 systems, and a Gen 2 8800GT card, designed to run in EFI64 systems. That would imply the GTX285 would not work in a 1,1 or 2,1 system.

However, IF you have somehow hacked your 1,1 system BIOS to boot in 64 bit mode, perhaps that also allows it to work with a GTX285 card. Or perhaps its the hacked netkas BIOS on your GTX285 card that allows it to work.

At any rate, the guidance we give people applies to normal unhacked systems. If you can hack your system to work with unsupported hardware, that's fine. We just can't help much with supporting such a scenario.

And I should add, the only supported MacPro scenarios, as per our Mac Resolve Config guide are 3,1 and higher MacPro systems.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:46:34 pm

[Dwaine Maggart] "This is why there is a Gen 1 (EFI32) 8800GT card, designed to run in 1,1"

Thanks for your patience and knowledge, Dwaine!

So with that said, will the above-mentioned Gen 1 8800GT card run Resolve 9?

Pardon my ignorance...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:49:46 pm

With that said, Resolve 9 won't run on an unhacked MacPro 1,1 system.

The Gen 1 8800GT card will work (as reported by users trying it) with V8 Resolve with the MacPro 1,1 and 2,1 running in 32 bit mode.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:56:10 pm

[Dwaine Maggart] "The Gen 1 8800GT card will work (as reported by users trying it) with V8 Resolve with the MacPro 1,1 and 2,1 running in 32 bit mode."

Is there a way to still obtain V8?

Thanks!

...Always learning

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 5:11:06 pm

We provide access to all legacy versions of the full Resolve software. But for the Lite software, we only provide access to the current version.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04:33 pm

Last question Dwaine: So in theory, Resolve V. 8 should run fine on my MacPro 1,1 with a GTX 285, correct?

...Always learning

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15:18 pm

I would not say that at all! It's not a supported platform, and I'm surprised it can run at all on such a system. But people reportedly have made it work. But since it doesn't even run "fine" on a 3,1 MacPro, in my opinion, I can't imagine it works acceptably on a 1,1 system. But it might "work".

I'm also skeptical that a stock Mac GTX-285 card will work in such a system. The instances that I'm aware of with a working 1,1 or 2,1 system running Resolve V8 were using a Gen 1 8800GT EFI32 card.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:20:07 pm

Hmmmm, OK.

So without having to buy a whole new Mac system, what card(s) can you recommend if I'm trying to make V.8 run on my early '08 1,1 Snow Leopard?

...Always learning

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:37:36 pm

You said the previous question would be your last question... :)

I might suggest the aforementioned Gen 1 8800GT card. I'm not aware of any other cards that would work. That's not to say there are not any such cards. Apparently a GTX-285 with a netkas BIOS on a hacked EFI64 64 bit 1,1 system will work.

And I'll mention a last time that this is not a supported system, so I can't offer any better guidance on how to make it work.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick GordonRe: Mac graphics compatibility!!!
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:58:04 pm

Hi, could you let me know if the Nvidia GT 120 and GT 285 cards are tweaked in any way?
Looking to put my MacPro 1,1 into 64 bit soon....

N

Nick Gordon
Freelance Video Production
http://www.nickgordon.co.uk

Macpro1,1 2007 8GB RAM 2*2 2Ghz Xeon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy