Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
andrew smithUpgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 6:29:01 pm

I tried posting this in the basics section but got response yet.

Just curious if I should be doing a clean install to Mountain Lion as I did with Lion when i first migrated to Lion. I did a clean install to snow leopard and used the Apple Lion USB install stick from the store as apple advised me i would have to do.

I have always been advised to do clean installs when upgrading OS and i want a smooth running system - i also plan to upgrade to CS6 Cloud so a clean OS install to my SSD for my 12-core seems ideal.

I would just be curious on best practices for this. I have already backed up my database and projects from V8 Resolve and have been using V9beta3 on my Lion 10.7.4 system for over a month now. I would just backup those projects of course now that i am using the new project system .drp's etc should be backed up and my location for the resolve projects is on my RAID scratch internal anyways. A friend mentioned that I would need to first do the upgrade to MountainLion via the app store and THEN do a clean install?? Also has anyone tried updating to 10.7.5?

Any help on best practices for this would be great as I am happy to do a clean install on OS and apps.

thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha HaberRe: Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:02:06 am

A clean OSX is always great to eliminate trouble.
I just did it and I am a happy Mountain Lion user.
Just get the image to a stick, timemachine your user and then wipe the disk.
Slap on ML, get all your goodies and let Resolve install its drivers and stuff.
I am also avoiding the database for now as it has proven to be much easier to backup single projects.
If you miss anything from your user, just fetch it manually from the time machine backup.
Clean and tidy..

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andrew smithRe: Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 3:04:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Sascha.

Just curious why are you still on the beta version of Resolve 9 - also are you a on a smoke mac / davinci setup - for some reason i thought you were after reading another thread? If so I am curious to get some advice on setting up a powerful Mac-based DaVinci & Smoke system.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mel MatsuokaRe: Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:54:11 am

[Sascha Haber] "I am also avoiding the database for now as it has proven to be much easier to backup single projects.
"

Is it just me, or have you also found that the file-based projects both load and save much slower than the traditional database method?

I was excited about the standalone projectfiles in R9, but I found that on large projects, it takes forever to save and load, so Im still using database based projects, and setting up a keyboard maestro macro to periodically save my projects to selfcontained .drp files every so often...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Guillem VenturaRe: Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:11:53 pm

Mel, could you share this Macro please?

I think being able to have the grading project backed up with all the rest of the assets is great, but I also stick to the DB method since it also proved slow for me.

http://www.malgeniofilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha HaberRe: Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:09:09 pm

Yes, loading and saving times are insane.
A project with 1500 shots, 2-3 versions each and around 6 nodes takes 3 minutes to load...and save.
I and not doing projects with more than 500 shots not.
Thats reel, or less.

I think the way information is saved could be optimized.
in my world you only need an increment save during an autosave process.
Only a full project save should rewrite everything.
Then autosave could be done in background and not interupt your workflow.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mel MatsuokaRe: Upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5??
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 12:02:01 am

Here ya go:

I mapped this to ⌃⌥⌘E (I like to map custom shortcuts using the "⌃⌥⌘" modifiers combined, since it's easy to remember and easy to press), but you can map it to whatever key-combo you want.

Also be aware that the ellipses after the "Export Project" Menu Item is NOT simply three consecutive periods. You have to type this as an actual ellipses character, by typing "⌥;"

You'll obviously have to change the save location for the "Resolve Projects Backup" folder to where you want it (I also have an associated Hazel rule which automatically copies any backups that are dumped into this folder to their respective specific main project folder, so when I archive my main project folder, I dont have to manually copy the backup projects out the original backup-dump folder

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]